DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does cell capable ipad require a cell plan to be activated

axismoto

Reactions
I am currently starting a CTE (shop class) program at our school. I would like the mavic mini to be a part of the Engineering class curriculum. I have one and love it. Especially now that there may be more capabilities from third party apps soon! My school currently does not have a cellular plan. My question is, if I want to utilize cell capable Ipads to run the mini's, do they require that I have the cell plan actuated to that device?
Anybody got recommendations on a better more cost effective way to go other than the mini? Remember, kids destroy things...

No.You do not have to activate the cellular plan in order to use it.

I've been using an iPad mini 5 that is cellular-capable without activating the plan. It's nice having the GPS on-board to the controller, as compared to the other iPad I had been using without cellular and without GPS, and hot-spotting it to my phone for both cases.

Reactions: bcfd29
No.You do not have to activate the cellular plan in order to use it.

I've been using an iPad mini 5 that is cellular-capable without activating the plan. It's nice having the GPS on-board to the controller, as compared to the other iPad I had been using without cellular and without GPS, and hot-spotting it to my phone for both cases.
So, as far as flying and gps goes, I should get everything I want without activation?

So, as far as flying and gps goes, I should get everything I want without activation?

Correct. And as long as you have wifi (whether hardwired or via a hot-spotted cellular device nearby) you can even use an app on the iPad to do your LAANC auth, if needed.

What about third party apps if I don't have a hot spot or wifi? like litchi

Dunno. I've never used Litchi, and it would be very dependent on whether the app in question requires a live data connection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa