DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does it float in water?

They make a self inflating keychain buoy that I’ve been thinking about putting on my mini in case I crash into the water. At least, in theory, you can recover the Mavic. I’m just curious if anyone has used this successfully to recover a downed/drowned drone?
No good. I tested it last yr at the lake. Useless

I use the GetterBack device if flying over water.
That looks good for me

Lake we on no more then like 40ft if that

They make a self inflating keychain buoy that I’ve been thinking about putting on my mini in case I crash into the water. At least, in theory, you can recover the Mavic. I’m just curious if anyone has used this successfully to recover a downed/drowned drone?
The Davis Key Buoy is rated for 2.8 ounces, 80 grams...so you'd have to hang three or four of these to manage the 249 grams of the MM.

For the depths you mention, I don’t think so. If I were going to take steps to recover a hulk in those situations I’d use some kind of pontoon. Of course, having tried them, performance is windy conditions is severely impacted.
Hmm ... but to a at least bundle 2 of them together, one attached to the other should perhaps be possible without penalty, to double the depth.

Hmm ... but to a at least bundle 2 of them together, one attached to the other should perhaps be possible without penalty, to double the depth.
Good thought...Won’t work though read the info on the device. It’s all compressed inside it. Don’t think it’s user modifiable, but I have not tried.

Good thought...Won’t work though read the info on the device. It’s all compressed inside it. Don’t think it’s user modifiable, but I have not tried.
From their vid it looks like it's actually possible ... attach a second one in the part that floats up, will then be a 2 step floater with the double possible depth.

Getterback.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
I have seen an image of some attaching bubble wrap to the top of the Mini. How about a Mini sized block of 1/2” styrofoam attached to the top, GPS signals will make it through the foam and will be more aerodynamic.

I have seen an image of some attaching bubble wrap to the top of the Mini. How about a Mini sized block of 1/2” styrofoam attached to the top, GPS signals will make it through the foam and will be more aerodynamic.
That's usually a really good method if you want to alter the flight characteristic of your Mini useless ... equal perfect if you want to experience a "BlowAway" in real life and not only read about them ... ?

• Haha
Reactions: scro
... equal perfect if you want to experience a "BlowAway" in real life and not only read about them ... ?
? I'm fed up just reading about blowaways... I want some of the thrills and excitement too! I'm off to get a set of floats... and hopefully see my MM float away over the fields?

Few pics at the lake this weekend..
01926987e64a46765fe38db5cd661973.jpg
21a5df461d5693e8c39909737dca3be5.jpg
cb64cf422e78b5be3db080765550691e.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
Has anyone seen a weight for the getterback?
I suppose the designers are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea in terms of the minimum trigger depth vs accidental triggering but it's a bit of a pity it can't trigger in shallow water

Anyone land in water by accident? Does it float?I have pontoon at lake. Just wondering incase.
Most of the time it will go down in water under power and drop rapidly. Mine survived a dip in the pool after fishing it from the bottom in less than 30sec. Lights were still flashing but i quickly pulled the battery and blew the water out including the motors. Air dried a day later it appears to be still working. But with winds I will not try my luck again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore