DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does it matter if a tablet is blocking the controller screen?

scubaddictions

Reactions
All,

Haven't been able to search out an answer. I currently have a Spark, as such its controller has no screen. Connection and battery status are handled by a few small LEDs. When circumstances allow (which is most of the time) I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 mounted to a tablet holder, all of which blocks any easy view of the controller during flight.

Now I'm considering an upgrade to a Mavic 2 Pro, I know the controller has a screen and from what little I can gather most (all?) of the data shown on the controller's screen is either duplicated on the display within the DJI GO app on the tablet, or not required constantly through the flight (such as battery level and connection status).

Is this a correct assessment? Should I be concerned about bringing over my existing tablet/mount combo and blocking the Mavic 2 controller's screen? Is there anything on the controller's screen that I need throughout the flight?

Thanks!

Ryan

Hi @scubaddictions welcome to the forum,

Agree with everything thunderdrone has said. My monitor covers the controller screen so it’s redundant really. Even when I was using a iPhone in the controller arms I didn’t use it then, so no you don’t really need it.

I’m not as good as thunderdrone though, I use the RTH button on my main screen?

FWIW, like Rob, I never look at the RC screen and don't understand why some think it's necessary. If the feed shuts down, (which it never has for me,) I'm pretty sure I can decipher the RC data to get the aircraft back.

I have a 9" iPad that is held by a Mavmount. Works well. I like the large screen.

All,

Haven't been able to search out an answer. I currently have a Spark, as such its controller has no screen. Connection and battery status are handled by a few small LEDs. When circumstances allow (which is most of the time) I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 mounted to a tablet holder, all of which blocks any easy view of the controller during flight.

Now I'm considering an upgrade to a Mavic 2 Pro, I know the controller has a screen and from what little I can gather most (all?) of the data shown on the controller's screen is either duplicated on the display within the DJI GO app on the tablet, or not required constantly through the flight (such as battery level and connection status).

Is this a correct assessment? Should I be concerned about bringing over my existing tablet/mount combo and blocking the Mavic 2 controller's screen? Is there anything on the controller's screen that I need throughout the flight?

Thanks!

Ryan
I think it is according to which controller you are getting with the M2P. If it is an older model controller then I would definitely use your tablet. But, if it is a smart controller, it has a viewing screen so that you don't need a tablet.

I prefer to be able to see the controller screen because it is easier for me to read. Also, I like to be able to see the buttons because I want to make sure I press the correct one. When flying a drone, just as flying a real plane, you are permitted zero mistakes.

..just as flying a real plane, you are permitted zero mistakes.

John: I have quite a bit of multi-engine flight time and I'm here to tell you that mistakes happen ALL the time. <laughing> I won't even begin to start telling you stories. :) But, I do hear what you're saying and there ARE mistakes one CANNOT make as a pilot whether it be in a manned aircraft or, while piloting a drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emilybrown24