DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does leaving gimbal clamp on damage the gimbal?

I know a lot of people attach a miniature "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to their gimbal clamp thinking this will solve the problem, but if you want to avoid powering up with the clamp in place, where you need the warning is at the power button. I got some of those red sticky things like CPAs use to tell you where to sign your tax return. I printed "Clamp!" and the battery numbers on them and I stick one over the power button on each battery. After I remove the clamp, the sticker comes off and gets stuck on the clamp, where it serves as a reminder of which battery I'm using. I've removed and replaced these dozens of times and they still stick.

Reactions: tpratt83687
Why would anybody actually fly the Mavic when, as soon as you turn on the power, you get a ****** great warning about the gimbal being locked. That's the time to switch off and remove the obstruction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robert Droner
That’s why the Lord made Check Lists!
Don’t leave home or Fly without it
Real Aircraft Pilots use them on every flite

I know a lot of people attach a miniature "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to their gimbal clamp thinking this will solve the problem, but if you want to avoid powering up with the clamp in place, where you need the warning is at the power button. I got some of those red sticky things like CPAs use to tell you where to sign your tax return. I printed "Clamp!" and the battery numbers on them and I stick one over the power button on each battery. After I remove the clamp, the sticker comes off and gets stuck on the clamp, where it serves as a reminder of which battery I'm using. I've removed and replaced these dozens of times and they still stick.

Excellent idea and use of the sticky tabs. Well done!

Reactions: RolandW
I bought a lens cover with a gimble lock built in, you only have to remove one item so makes life easier when you’re trying to get airborne in a hurry. You can buy them on eBay, made by owoda.

Hi

Just started my Mavic pro and stupidly forgot to remove the gimbal clamp.

Seems OK, and I don't expect to do it again. However can this break your gimbal or is it something that you could do a hundred times and never do any damage?

Thanks
I sprayed my clamp dayglo orange so that it can't be ignored or overlooked.

I left my gimbal clamp on for the first time today .... for about 60 seconds. I am ordering one of these gimbal locks and cover single piece units .... as it seems so much easier to have one cover that serves both functions of protecting and locking. DJI Mavic Pro - Gimbal Lock
Been using the same thing since they came out and never forget to take that off :)
Got mine off Amazon last July but they all the same thingI would think .
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.46.55 PM.png
Also guys I have cleaned this thread up a-bit as it is not necessary to get arguminitive over this and it does
Stop Here With It .

Ah the good old days. :)

Similar to your parking brake, if you leave the clamp on too many times, you will eventually get an odor of burning electronics, meaning your gimbal motors have overheated. In the old days, that distinct burning smell in your car meant only one things, your rear brakes were frying due to forgetting to disengage your parking brake. Thankfully, my new car has an electronic parking brake, so the car wont move if it's on. Wish the Mavic had either no gimbal lock, ala Spark, or a warning message that will not let you fly unless it is removed. The current message will let you fly for as long as you want with the lock on, on the Mavic and Phantom 3 series. A nemesis for newbies.

I use a pre-flight check list just for reason. It takes a little extra time it IMHO it’s worth it.

Attachments

• drone-pre-flight-checklist.pdf
    481.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Former Member
I taped some ribbon to mine. It is very obvious when it is attached.

I don't like the combo clamp/cover because I use the clamp when changing filters.

Seems there is great confusion on this subject. The official DJI store, mentions the cover can be used in flight.

perhaps the gimbal lock on the Mavic Pro 2, even though it looks different, does not damage?
DJI has been doing a good job at making their gimbals more user proof over the years. That probably has contributed greatly to the low number of people who have damaged their drones by powering them on with the gimbal lock attached.

Reactions: fieldpivot
I put a miniature "Remove before flight" tag on it with a short length of braided fishing line so it is outside the dome cover. Works every time.
il_794xN.2262510851_kjj6.jpg

Ah the good old days. :)

Similar to your parking brake, if you leave the clamp on too many times, you will eventually get an odor of burning electronics, meaning your gimbal motors have overheated. In the old days, that distinct burning smell in your car meant only one things, your rear brakes were frying due to forgetting to disengage your parking brake. Thankfully, my new car has an electronic parking brake, so the car wont move if it's on. Wish the Mavic had either no gimbal lock, ala Spark, or a warning message that will not let you fly unless it is removed. The current message will let you fly for as long as you want with the lock on, on the Mavic and Phantom 3 series. A nemesis for newbies.
Well I smelled this smell...oh that one...smells like antifreeze leaking. So I stopped under the nearest shade tree and lifted up the hood. After working on the car a little bit I got a little grungy and had to go home and take a shower. After I got out, I picked up a bottle of good ole' deodorant. Ingredients include...propylene glycol...Well I rubbed it all over and now I'm gonna smell like I've been working on the car all afternoon.

These newer cars have a weird to turn on and off parking brake.

Gimbal Clamp only used when traveling, keeps Gimbal from getting damaged. I only put it in when traveling, along with the Gimbal cover, which I have painted red to remind me that the clamp is on the Gimbal. By leaving them both on when powering up, will damage the Gimble, when auto calibration begins. By leaving dome on, you are restricting the flow of air and your Mavic will over heat. I am talking about Mavic pro, don't know about the rest of them. I use a laser heat gun to constantly check on any excessive heat issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d