DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does RTH always go UP to the set height first?

Sorry to be a pest Jon. If I’m reading it properly, if you are running any firmware version other than v1.1.0.0 then it will autoland and not hover if less than 20m from the home point.
:) You could be right... That could be interpretted too ways.

I assumed it ment that it will hover and not return in 1.1.0.0 onwards... Like this was explaining new functionatliy.. So it will land immediatly on firmware belo 1.1.0.0

But I see what you mean now.. Is it saying that it will autoland immediatly on all Firmwares OTHER than 1.1.0.0 where it willl hover and not land.

And I don't know how to read it... Its a good point and is ambigious at best.

The fact that I saw it land and it was 20ft away, makes me think its the later and you are right...

Hope you get it all figured out and have many enjoyable hours of flying with few issues. Enjoy the learning curve as well.
If you haven’t subscribed to Air Data, I suggest you get the app. (The free version at least) There is a lot of good information to be garnered in the app for your drone flights.
Take care and happy flying.

It's probably best to get to an open field and practice a few RTH's. It's a little scary if you lose your screen and know that if you double click on the RTH button that you will pause the RTH. The hovering or landing when nearby is a really good thing in many cases. Flying under trees for one.

And remember that there are three kinds of RTH:
There is the Smart RTH - that is when you instigate RTH by pushing the button.
There is failsafe RTH - That is when you lose connection between the controller and drone.
And there is low battery RTH - Obviously this occurs when the battery gets to low.

I tried the RTH function on my Mini 2 with it less than 20mts away and all I got was a message that it was less than 20mts away. Nothing happened the drone just hovered where it was.

To be honest, I thoght I had, and undestood RTH.. I had watched a LOT of videos about it too so I was pretty clear on how it worked.

And now I am even more confused as the manual says "If the aircraft is less then 20m from the Home point when RTH begins, it will hover in place and not return to home"

And this is NOT what happened.. The Mini was way closer than 20m, and it landed!

Accoridng to the FAQ I found, the "Spark" worked more like what I saw, ie between 3 and 20m out it would return to hoem at 2.5mm.. But the Mini2 docs say that it will NOT RTH when clsoer than 20m...

Am I missing something?
Just perform some test flights. Fly far away press RTH or wait for battery to get low and see what it does, Then, move close to your location at a lower than RTH height (with no obstacles of course) and press or wait for RTH and see what happens.. I recall, my mini 1 just came home and don't climb when it was close to my house, I freaked and cancelled it, because there were trees in the way. But it always climbs first when far away.

I have an even worse problem. My Air 2, I set auto rth to 60m, but when I do an RTH manually, it goes up to 142m!!! That is illegal in Europe. What could it be?

During the probem I had with my first flight, my Mini did a forced RTH.. it was only 10-20 away from home, but it didnt go UP to the pre-set height., it jsut moved to Home and landed?

Is this expected? Does RTH always start at the height set? Or will it just go home if its within a certain distance?

My assumption is that because its close, it doesnt' bother going up first.. But is this the case?

Jon
Read the manual, please. If the MM is so close comes directly to the home point.

I found a DJI FAQ which says that if its 3 to 20m away from home, it just goes to 2.5m but says “ONLY SPARK”, so i dont know if this applies to the Mini.. I will study the manual to see if it sheds some light on this.
You are correct, if your within a certain distance (MA2 65ft) then it will not go to set altitude it will go directly to home

Read the manual it explains it in great detail, YOU need to fully understand the various RTH scenarios or you may end up with a crash as there are no forward vision sensors.
This is true. I admit I have crashed my mini once - and it was because in a panic I didnt cancel RTH when it was running low on battery and although it was right in front of me and I could have easily grabbed it for a hand landing, I pressed my iphone screen and up it went straight into tree branches. Such an idiot I was. Kind of in my defence, it was hard to see the screen of my iphone due to sun glare which is always a real pain - but if I was better versed in the manual and RTH rules there would have been no crash. Good luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro