DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mavic 3 sink or float?

Talmon Murphy

Reactions
HELP!

Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 sinks instantly or if it sinks slowly? I crashed mine in the lake yesterday and know the gps coordinates but it will help the diver if he knows how long it takes the drone to sink. 🤦‍♂️ I appreciate any information!

Still licking my wounds. This was an anniversary gift from my wife right after I crashed my Mavic 2 Zoom. Coincidentally both drones died within a thousand feet of each other! The Mavic 2 ran into a tree due to extreme interference and I’m still evaluating what happened to the 3; although preliminary data seems to indicate pilot error! 🤦‍♂️

Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 sinks instantly or if it sinks slowly?

Two pounds of something that's not designed to float will sink quickly.

As mentioned by Lastrexking, depth and current will affect the final resting place.

If you get a new aircraft, check out the products from one of our vendors...

If you fly around water or in the rain, this may help you on your future flights.

The Mavic 2 ran into a tree due to extreme interference and I’m still evaluating what happened to the 3; although preliminary data seems to indicate pilot error!

Follow the instructions from this site and post the link here if you desire to find more information about the flight(s).

• Love
Reactions: Droniac
When we used to look for boats that sank, we would do a twenty foot circle around where we were told it sank, then go down stream from there. Your process will be tougher because of it’s size.

It will sink, how deep in the lake?
Why do you wish to recover the drone?
If you do not have care refresh then it is probable that the only salvagable components will be the plastic parts, any solid metal components and if applicable the memory card.
But I suppose you could always try washing it with alcohol and then drying it somewhere warm for several days.

Last edited:
The rate it will sink depends on the current and depth.
I have to disagree. With current, the drone will drift laterally, but the vertical sink rate won't be affected. And there's no reason to think that it would sink faster in shallow water than deeper water, and vice versa.

Tough question. When you find it, and the diver is still there, throw it back in and let us know the results? Probably useful information for future reference.
And no more water sports for you!
many a true word spoken in jest

• Haha
well one things for sure it definitely won't float ,unless you happen to be lucky enough to have fitted one of @Phantomrain.org 's wonderful floatation devices

HELP!

Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 sinks instantly or if it sinks slowly? I crashed mine in the lake yesterday and know the gps coordinates but it will help the diver if he knows how long it takes the drone to sink. 🤦‍♂️ I appreciate any information!

Still licking my wounds. This was an anniversary gift from my wife right after I crashed my Mavic 2 Zoom. Coincidentally both drones died within a thousand feet of each other! The Mavic 2 ran into a tree due to extreme interference and I’m still evaluating what happened to the 3; although preliminary data seems to indicate pilot error! 🤦‍♂️
It’ll sink like a Brick but it won’t go straight down like one!

• Haha
It took me two weeks and three attempts to recover my A2S in a big, salty, tidal river... pin-pointing the entry point is crucial. I have a long-winded-read in another post ( Two weeks underwater, 3 rescue attempts.. A long story of drowned drone and determination.. )
The only reason I held out hope was the recent satellite images and aerial images showed a rocky area with weed cover that would have prevented tidal and current drift and I eventually found it in a rocky hollow on the sea-bed with weed around.
Underwater, everything is foreign.. you must know the exact crash point (use AirData or other fine-grain data interpreter to extract last Lat/Lon), use a tool that puts you on the surface at that exact point and know the error margin. Start the search there, trust that pre-work to localise your search and search an area taking into account the error margin + a margin for drift while sinking or other variable.. Make sure you mark a start point / origin to go back to - if its cold (a big factor in my S & R) the search time / area will be constrained by swimmer / diver exposure. Good Luck.

I have to disagree. With current, the drone will drift laterally, but the vertical sink rate won't be affected. And there's no reason to think that it would sink faster in shallow water than deeper water, and vice versa.
The depth affects pressure, the greater the pressure the slower the descent, as the descent slows the current will have a greater affect on lateral travel. At least, that's what I was taught whilst laying out lobster and crab traps on my uncles trawler in the North Sea on many tortuous summer holidays in my youth.

The depth affects pressure, the greater the pressure the slower the descent, as the descent slows the current will have a greater affect on lateral travel. At least, that's what I was taught whilst laying out lobster and crab traps on my uncles trawler in the North Sea on many tortuous summer holidays in my youth.
Density, not pressure, affects the sink rate. Since water is essentially incompressible, there's no significant density change with increased pressure. (About 1% density increase at a depth of one mile.)

I worked on a lobster boat just one late summer day on a boat out of Gloucester, Massachusetts. It's a lot of work, even when the weather is good. In bad weather, I suspect that it's hellish.

Reactions: Droniac and okw
Keep in mind the M3 is not a round or square object, but had protruding legs so they will effect the angle when sinking, so even with no current, unless it is a very shallow area, it may still move in in different directions while sinking.

HELP!

It sinks quickly. Speaking from personal experience. It's final resting place will be determined by currents and depth. You may want to remind the diver that depending on the altitude of the lake, they may have to adjust their tables/computer.

Also, keep in mind that the drone will be unusable (but may be needed for insurance claim purposes). Is the risk to the diver worth the outcome? I'm not saying anything either way, as I don't know the local environment - just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
No there are no currents. Drone will be within a 15' radius from where it hit the water. It won't sink like a rock but it will sink quickly. The issue will be the dirt and pressure at the bottom.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard