DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the mavic prioritise the vision sensors or GPS?

Odoug04

Reactions
Just curious, but if you were to hypothetically fly your mavic on an open deck moving boat, would it move with the boat based on the vision sensors or stay still according to the gps? It would just be good to know how something like this would work.

Just curious, but if you were to hypothetically fly your mavic on an open deck moving boat, would it move with the boat based on the vision sensors or stay still according to the gps? It would just be good to know how something like this would work.
If I fly from a boat I always switch off VPS (also on my Inspire1) because of the risk that the rocking of the boat might/will influence hovering above the deck.

So do you think that if you keep it on then it would move with the boat?

Yes, at least I don't want to risk that it would. When on a boat always mitigate any possible risk you can think of. Take extra time for getting home and landing into account. You might just not be able to land it right away because of high bow waves from a passing vessel, as example.

Yes, at least I don't want to risk that it would. When on a boat always mitigate any possible risk you can think of. Take extra time for getting home and landing into account. You might just not be able to land it right away because of high bow waves from a passing vessel, as example.
Slightly different question but you seem to have done this.

Does the IMU always initialize correctly on a moving boat, or sometimes introduce error?

I have toyed with the idea of launching from the deck of a kayak.

From other user experiences I’d say that the Mavic uses GPS rather than the vision sensors. The forums have plenty of threads that start with I launched my Mavic from the deck of a boat and it slammed into the deck house/mast or whatever else was near as the boat moved and the Mavic didn’t.

No. The downward vision positioning system seeks out patterns and contrast. It attempts to stabilize itself ~not match speed and hold position over a moving deck.

Edit: When flying outdoors, the GPS is always active. It won't hand control over to the VPS sensors, nor will VPS track with a moving object.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson