DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mini 3 Pro have Precision Landing?

In my experience, the MP3 is not exact in the RTH precision landing, particularly in the wind. I have tried the high visibility orange and the blue pad side too. You will need to manually tweak to land the drone to hit the pad most of the time. I will try the hovering noted above for some time to see if that improves it.
As has been mentioned several times here, the Mini 3 does not have a Precision Landing feature.
It uses GPS alone, which is not affected by wind, but is affected by the variable inaccuracy of GPS.

my Mini 2 actually comes closer to the take-off point than my Mini 3. Maybe I need to adjust a setting but generally the Mini 3 comes down about 3-6 feet off the take-off point in line with the initial direction of the flight. If I start flying north, it will come down 3-6 feet north of the launch point, etc

my Mini 2 actually comes closer to the take-off point than my Mini 3. Maybe I need to adjust a setting but generally the Mini 3 comes down about 3-6 feet off the take-off point in line with the initial direction of the flight. If I start flying north, it will come down 3-6 feet north of the launch point, etc
Neither the Mini 2 nor the Mini 3 has the Precision landing feature and both will exhibit the same variable inaccuracy that is a feature of GPS.
Sometimes it will be close and sometimes it could be two metres or even more out.
The initial direction that you fly makes no difference and there's nothing at all you can do that will make it any more precise.

Neither the Mini 2 nor the Mini 3 has the Precision landing feature and both will exhibit the same variable inaccuracy that is a feature of GPS.
Sometimes it will be close and sometimes it could be two metres or even more out.
The initial direction that you fly makes no difference and there's nothing at all you can do that will make it any more precise.

well, I never claimed either had precision landing

all I was saying is that my Mini 2 consistently returned home closer to the launch point than my Mini 3. And that the Mini 3 was consistently off in the direction it was facing when it initially started forward

well, I never claimed either had precision landing

all I was saying is that my Mini 2 consistently returned home closer to the launch point than my Mini 3. And that the Mini 3 was consistently off in the direction it was facing when it initially started forward
But I'm claiming that if you tested thoroughly, you'd find that both models are consistently inconsistent and your observations are simply coincidence.
Random inaccuracy is a feature of GPS and that's all that's causing it.

Reactions: BroomRider
@Meta4 @moldorf ok fellow members lets not get into a heated disagreement,on the subject of this thread
there are many factors that govern the accuracy of the RTH landing point ,with regards to the initial satellite lock and home point message ,and it is well established that GPS alone can be inconsistent when it comes to that accuracy ,also the two drones mentioned ,have different combinations of satellite constellations that they lock onto, so this could possibly explain the different results ,depending on where in the world the drone is being flown

How can they have precision landing on something as old as the spark. (which I still love btw). My mini 3 pro can be up to a few feet off at times, precision landing would be nice.
My take on this is that , it was very difficult for them to live up to the name when in fact it really was never something you could count on, thus fading the name away as well as the number of complaints that were associated with it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain . Land on the Water

Reactions: BroomRider
My take on this is that , it was very difficult for them to live up to the name when in fact it really was never something you could count on, thus fading the name away as well as the number of complaints that were associated with it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain . Land on the Wate"
Just curious, is your comment aimed at "precision landing" in general or specifically at "precision landing" with the Spark?
I ask because when I have made a suitable take off with my M2P/Z and used/allowed the/a precision landing it is my impression that the drones have landed with some part of themselves in the 'foot-print' of their original launch point.
In fact, the one time I really checked the accuracy of a "precision landing" landing, the drone landed with its camera over a coin sized lump of moss that had been beneath the camera at take off.

If you leave RTH active and try to over-ride it, the drone will fight you and keep trying to land where it believes the home point is.
Sorry for the late response, in my experience any fine tuning adjustments made during the descent phase are not 'fought' and the drone will continue landing but at the adjusted location.

According to Hunter Haopeng Chen of DJI the Mini 3 does have precision landing.
Here is a copy and paste reply from one of my FB groups this morning:

""Hi Joe, Mini 3 Pro supports Precision landing. It needs a GPS signal strong enough to initiate Precision Landing so that the drone can be navigated back to the vicinity of the take-off point. Then, the aircraft needs to be able to visually recognize the pattern of the ground it took off from, for example, cracks or other identifiable patterns. A uniform patch of sand, however, is not suitable for Precision Landing. Finally, the Mini 3 Pro needs to capture footage of the ground during take-off to record its appearance. This means you may wait for the drone to recognize the takeoff point, instead of moving away immediately after take-off."
However so far I have not been able to demonstrate it, nor can I find a youtube video showing the M3P landing any closer than a foot or two away from the take off point.
1stly, the topic of this thread is, “Does the Mini 3 Pro have Precision Landing?” & I'm speaking not to you, but to all the others who have been discussing OTHER DJI models than the Mini 3 Pro.

According to a very similar question on the topic in question in the official DJI forum, DJI & their representatives seem to have a significant problem understanding the term, “Precision Landing” & the difference between “feature” & “function”.

That DJI representative that you quoted, seems to know little if anything of the Mini 3 Pro product.

As the definition has been & is commonly known, in comparison to other more advanced (& expensive) models, DJI DOES NOT offer what is commonly accepted & known as an automatic “Precision Landing” feature or function.

A “precision landing” for the Mini 3 Pro is not available UNLESS, the pilot takes manual control & flies their Mini 3 Pro to the same launch point.

I strongly suspect that DJI, like many other product manufacturers & vendors, are tossing about yet another term rather loosely, in order to take advantage of the ambiguity of their definitions in order to promote their product sales.

We've seen the same kind of issue with their promise, at some time, of the programmed waypoints function for the Mini 3 Pro, & other than using hyperlapse, that now never has seemed to materialize.

But, I digress.

I personally think that DJI's unscrupulous tactic is at least, shady, if not outright deceptive, & it detracts from & erodes their customer confidence & trust in both their company, & products.

I'm looking forward to those 2 updates, but, I'll not be holding my breath. We Are Laughing.gif

Reactions: Jam0ne
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair