DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the phone used with the controller need to be activated?

I think it just has to be able to get an internet connection. You should be able to do that with WIFI. Can't see why it wouldn't work...

Yeah you can. But on your map it won't have your location because of no service no gps on the phone. I believe I'm right but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N920T using MavicPilots mobile app

Right. Cellular has the mapping. So assuming the RC has a gps (why wouldn't it) you would have RTH when home is the RC, but no maps, which have to be downloaded. Is that right, everybody?

You can PRELOAD your maps from Google at home and then use them in the field.

First, Access your home(?) Wifi with the S6 you want to use offline... then turn on GOOGLE MAPS.

Zoom out to the max area you are going to travel.

Go to the menu and you will find an option to download maps... Select DOWNLOAD and the maps should be downloaded to the phone for use offline.

Now once that is done you should be able to fly using that S6 phone and not have to rely on wifi or CELL DATA to download any more maps.

BTW - My steps to download maps using the maps is a little rusty, since it's been a while since I last did it.

Last edited:
I have an unactivated iPhone 6. I also put it in airplane mode. I have only flown the MAVIC 3 times an am certainly in learning mode but it all seems to work. It shows my takeoff point, the location of the controller and also where the drone is in maps. Maybe I am missing something just because I don't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Does one download the maps in google or in DJI 4? Now that DJI 4 has moved to HERE, how can one pre-load maps for an area they are going to, where there will be NO cellular or WIFI? I can have the phone on for celluar/GPS, but won't have a data connection.

Does one download the maps in google or in DJI 4? Now that DJI 4 has moved to HERE, how can one pre-load maps for an area they are going to, where there will be NO cellular or WIFI? I can have the phone on for celluar/GPS, but won't have a data connection.

The maps are viewed in the app come through the Google map app. So when you download them they will be stored in the "Google map" data folder on your android phone - I have no idea how iphone do it, but I can't imagine it would be any different.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52