DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does turning off lights increase flight time?

GPS locators are not dependent on a local cell phone system, but send an intermittent signal back to a satellite.
How do you think they track sharks, wildlife etc. ATT just won’t work!
It would be more correct to say to some GPS trackers use satellite radios to report positional information.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that sheep stations don't have access to government research funding that might be applied to the acquisition of and satellite monitoring subscription costs for satellite trackers.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm doing some very remote Australian outback flying on a 100,000+ acre sheep station. We're looking for where the sheep are before sending out bikes & dogs to herd them back in. So I'm trying to get absolute maximum flight times.
Anyone have any accurate figures (not opinions) on with/without lights on?
Cheers
The thread kind of went off into other suggestions. My 2 cents? Every little bit helps. I’ve been on my way back before with 1%. Turned off lights and sensors and prayed to make it home. So far so good.

The thread kind of went off into other suggestions. My 2 cents? Every little bit helps. I’ve been on my way back before with 1%. Turned off lights and sensors and prayed to make it home. So far so good.
Too insignificant to matter. Mavic 2 can fly for about two more minutes after reaching 0%. It then forces an uncancellable Autoland, but still keeps flying until the battery reaches 2.5V on any one cell, unless it runs into the ground first!

Reactions: Thomas B
Cutting pretty close!

I was out the other day flying my Air and recording video. I happened to look at my remaining flight time as I switched to photo mode. I noticed that I picked up up a good bit of time after the switch. Until now I didn't think to run any tests to verify if there really was a time extension or if the space on the screen changed and created an illusion. I mention this as something you might want to check if it applies to your situation.

I was out the other day flying my Air and recording video. I happened to look at my remaining flight time as I switched to photo mode. I noticed that I picked up up a good bit of time after the switch. Until now I didn't think to run any tests to verify if there really was a time extension or if the space on the screen changed and created an illusion. I mention this as something you might want to check if it applies to your situation.
Do some testing ... you'll find it makes no real difference

Reactions: GadgetGuy
What do you call a “good bit of time”?

".... went off into ......"

Every comment & suggestion has been read and appreciated, so the variety of experiences have been constructive.
;)

Reactions: Concern
Remaining flight time (much like remaining mileage on a tank of gas) is a projected calculation which becomes more accurate the closer you are to the end of the flight. Less variables remaining. It is common to see the remaining flight time increase by several minutes when under 10 minutes, just by heading straight home, as opposed to flying laterally. If there is no wind, at 30mph, you'll cover a mile every two minutes. If you plan on 2.5 to 3 minutes a mile, using the remaining flight time, you'll have a more accurate indicator with room for error. This assumes flight to 0%, which means fighting Autoland after 10%. If you want to land before 10%, subtract 2.5 minutes from the displayed remaining flight time before making your calculation.

Here are some data for the M2P, based on observation of the main battery current averaged over 60 seconds as various functions are enabled/disabled:

Motors (hovering) 6.5 A
LED light 0.3 A
4k video 0.15 A
OA 0.02 A
Other processes 1.2 A

Based on those numbers, the LED bottom light consumes approximately 4% of the operating power, so a small, but measurable saving when turned off. OA is completely negligible.

Here are some data for the M2P, based on observation of the main battery current averaged over 60 seconds as various functions are enabled/disabled:

Motors (hovering) 6.5 A
LED light 0.3 A
4k video 0.15 A
OA 0.02 A
Other processes 1.2 A

Based on those numbers, the LED bottom light consumes approximately 4% of the operating power, so a small, but measurable saving when turned off. OA is completely negligible.
Great info!
By LED bottom light, are you referring to the Landing Lights that can be set to automatic, so they only turn on at dusk when landing, or the regular red and green running lights?

Great info!
By LED bottom light, are you referring to the Landing Lights that can be set to automatic, so they only turn on at dusk when landing, or the regular red and green running lights?

The white light. The flashing nav lights are insignificant.

I'm doing some very remote Australian outback flying on a 100,000+ acre sheep station. We're looking for where the sheep are before sending out bikes & dogs to herd them back in. So I'm trying to get absolute maximum flight times.
Anyone have any accurate figures (not opinions) on with/without lights on?
Cheers
Since your goal is absolute maximum flight time, which is mine as well, I would highly recommend getting comfortable learning to fly the M2 batteries down to as low as 0% by learning how to compensate for the Autoland which starts at 10% remaining by adding sufficient left stick ascension. The M2 batteries have lots of extra juice in them even at 0% so you won't be damaging the batteries by taking them down under 10% to as low as 0%. 0% is still well over 3.5V per cell. Once the battery reaches 0%, you still have 2 minutes of flight time left before any cell drops below 3.0V, which then triggers a forced uncancellable Autoland where you cannot cancel the descent. Learning to use the last 10% of the reported battery remaining will add a good 2-3 minutes to your flight times, which is far more than anything else you can do! I have over 40 flights each on 5 batteries with no degradation from taking them all down to under 5% on a regular basis.

i ,m happy with what i have as compared to when there were no drones for gathering and locating cattle just load a quad bike in the back of a four wheel pickup and get to flying the far out cattle you bail out the four wheeler a throw down to the main herd but before you have to run missions around the ranch early then send the cowboys out its simple and effective but i,m only dealing with 200 sections or less and with mavic i remote for every three batteries

1) Do the lights use energy, and 2) do they take that energy from the batteries that are the only source of power for the aircraft, and 3) do those batteries also supply power to the control electronics and motors?

Yes, yes and yes.

So, the lights reduce the flight time by some (probable) small amount as mentioned by others.

If you are going to cut the flight time that close, you my want to invest in a Marco Polo lost aircraft radio tracker to help you recover your crashed and/or lost aircraft from the tree it’s hung up in. Here’s a link:

Also, if you are flying FPV and need long flight times, consider buying a less expensive hexacopter that can carry bigger batteries, or better yet a fixed wing RC aircraft with a head tracking FPV camera. A motor glider will have the longest flight time if you use thermals on a sunny day. On a good, sunny day, flight times can last longer than you can. You’ll have to learn to fly a motor glider, and you may need both fixed wing and multi-rotor aircraft so you can fly in a wider range of weather.

Maybe put radio trackers on the sheep and learn how to use radio direction finding techniques to track them down. Check out the Marko Polo units and Google “Radio Direction Finding Locators” for other solutions.

In any case, best of luck!

i ,m happy with what i have as compared to when there were no drones for gathering and locating cattle just load a quad bike in the back of a four wheel pickup and get to flying the far out cattle you bail out the four wheeler a throw down to the main herd but before you have to run missions around the ranch early then send the cowboys out its simple and effective but i,m only dealing with 200 sections or less and with mavic i remote for every three batteries
Nice to hear similar experiences.
The shear size of the sheep station, it's remoteness, the harshness of quad riding on our land, and the fact we have tens of thousands of scattered stock probably puts us in a different situation though, so pursuing any avenue is worthwhile to us.
I did get a chuckle at an earlier suggestion of putting GPS trackers on our sheep...... anyone have a few thousand spare GPS trackers, a lot of spare time on their hands, and a humongously expensive software program & satellite system to track & monitor them......???
Cheers

1) Do the lights use energy, and 2) do they take that energy from the batteries that are the only source of power for the aircraft, and 3) do those batteries also supply power to the control electronics and motors?

Yes, yes and yes.

So, the lights reduce the flight time by some (probable) small amount as mentioned by others.

If you are going to cut the flight time that close, you my want to invest in a Marco Polo lost aircraft radio tracker to help you recover your crashed and/or lost aircraft from the tree it’s hung up in. Here’s a link:

Also, if you are flying FPV and need long flight times, consider buying a less expensive hexacopter that can carry bigger batteries, or better yet a fixed wing RC aircraft with a head tracking FPV camera. A motor glider will have the longest flight time if you use thermals on a sunny day. On a good, sunny day, flight times can last longer than you can. You’ll have to learn to fly a motor glider, and you may need both fixed wing and multi-rotor aircraft so you can fly in a wider range of weather.

Maybe put radio trackers on the sheep and learn how to use radio direction finding techniques to track them down. Check out the Marko Polo units and Google “Radio Direction Finding Locators” for other solutions.

In any case, best of luck!
Nice suggestions.
I already use a Marco Polo as we are nowhere near to cell towers.
Had to use it the other day to find the MP when an angry flock of vicious(sic) Galah's dive bombed the MP out of the sky km's away from me.
Fixed wing would work to locate the sheep, but would be useless to actually attempt to herd them in a set direction, the MP is ideal for this work - sort of like a quarter horse.
As I've mentioned in other posts, placing GPS trackers on sheep (tens of thousands of them) is slightly impractical.... but if you'd like to come over with a few thousand of them I can put you up in some really wonderful desert conditions (watch out for the friendly brown snakes) while you chase the sheep around with your glider trying to locate them... to put the GPS trackers on.
I must admit I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of all these wonderful suggestions.

Nice to hear similar experiences.
The shear size of the sheep station, it's remoteness, the harshness of quad riding on our land, and the fact we have tens of thousands of scattered stock probably puts us in a different situation though, so pursuing any avenue is worthwhile to us.
I did get a chuckle at an earlier suggestion of putting GPS trackers on our sheep...... anyone have a few thousand spare GPS trackers, a lot of spare time on their hands, and a humongously expensive software program & satellite system to track & monitor them......???
Cheers

The shear size? Nice one.

Reactions: GB1Yorkshire1
Except that the "little bit" is so little that you can't even measure the increase in flight time. It might be 1-2 seconds in a twenty minute flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143