DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Dongguan, Guangdong Province, China

Heindrich1988

Reactions
I've shown you guys my neighbourhood and a nearby lake... It's time to go to the city! Introducing Dongguan...

This is the first time that I (mostly) shot in D-cinelike and colour-corrected/graded in post. Again, not especially happy with composition and some colour grading issues, but I'm pleased to have learnt more and gained more experience. I hope the progress is noticeable. :)

As always, happy to receive advice regarding cinematography and editing, and happy to answer any questions you may have about my local area!

The night scenes are awesome ! Well done...!

lol thanks... The night scenes were actually the easiest, in the sense that it's just cut from raw footage from Mavic Air 2 HDR mode. I played around with colour-grading, but I'm clueless about what to do for low light night scenes, anything I changed just made it look worse, so I ended up sticking with the unedited footage when it comes to the night clips. ?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I love it all. I've never been to China so with your video I have now been to the part of China. The video was great!!

Reactions: Heindrich1988
Really nice video. Here in Australia flying like that over people, roads and building will land you in a lot of trouble. Our Civil Aviation Authority that oversees drone responsibility regularly patrol Youtube clips and get details about who made the video so that they can prosecute.

I can only dream of flying my drone like that to capture that sort of footage.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words everyone :)

Really nice video. Here in Australia flying like that over people, roads and building will land you in a lot of trouble. Our Civil Aviation Authority that oversees drone responsibility regularly patrol Youtube clips and get details about who made the video so that they can prosecute.

It's a shame how the recklessness of a minority have created such draconian drone regulations around the world. The hostility to drones and paranoia in some parts of the world is also sad to see.

As for China... it's huge, so there is a lot of local variation. All of Beijing is a no-fly zone, Shenzhen has quite detailed rules for different airspace categories... and where I am, there's little awareness or enforcement of drone regulations. I personally take care to fly safely and responsibly regardless.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't approached by any security guards when flying directly in front of the city government building, the busiest mall in the city and on top of the big lantern, which is a notable landmark in the city.

The public here are completely used to CCTV cameras everywhere, so I've yet to come across any objections about "privacy". Generally everyone who approaches me is just curious about what the drone can do. One old lady asked me to send her some pictures that I took to add to her holiday pics. lol

Very nice video. Well done. All those towers have colorful lights on their sides and Chinese characters...I wonder what they say?..."Buy All State Insurance???"

Very nice video. Well done. All those towers have colorful lights on their sides and Chinese characters...I wonder what they say?..."Buy All State Insurance???"

lol thx

It varies. Some is just mundane stuff like "Office space available for rent"... some of these buildings are fairly new, so not fully occupied yet. Sometimes they display holiday greetings. Sometimes they display what you might call "propaganda"... for example, "congratulations to Dongguan for winning xyz award!".

I've shown you guys my neighbourhood and a nearby lake... It's time to go to the city! Introducing Dongguan...

This is the first time that I (mostly) shot in D-cinelike and colour-corrected/graded in post. Again, not especially happy with composition and some colour grading issues, but I'm pleased to have learnt more and gained more experience. I hope the progress is noticeable. :)

As always, happy to receive advice regarding cinematography and editing, and happy to answer any questions you may have about my local area!
Pro-level cinematics here for sure. You captured it well. A wide variety of scenes and compositions and nice cinematic moves appropriate to the subjects. The one thing I really like about the MA2 is the quick POI that allows you to move however you want. I hope they add it to a firmware update for the M2P soon.

D-cinelike should have given you a fairly decent image to work with unless you were significantly under/overexposed. The color grading looks pretty contrasty in parts, but perhaps personal preference. There weren't many editing issues. There was slow/stop movement in some of the transitions (transition at speed, before it slows). The speed ramping could be ramped up faster in spots.

The opening shot is a great starting clip and the night scenes really bring it all home. Well done.

Aaron, someone has lied to you.

In Australia, CASA must prove who TOOK the video before they can prosecute. CASA cannot prosecute someone merely for PUBLISHING a video on social media.

That said, anyone in Australia who is CAUGHT IN THE ACT will likely be prosecuted. So I wouldn’t recommend flying your drone around the Sydney Harbour Bridge, where CASA is now actively tracking drones and pilots.

Pro-level cinematics here for sure. You captured it well. A wide variety of scenes and compositions and nice cinematic moves appropriate to the subjects. The one thing I really like about the MA2 is the quick POI that allows you to move however you want. I hope they add it to a firmware update for the M2P soon.

D-cinelike should have given you a fairly decent image to work with unless you were significantly under/overexposed. The color grading looks pretty contrasty in parts, but perhaps personal preference. There weren't many editing issues. There was slow/stop movement in some of the transitions (transition at speed, before it slows). The speed ramping could be ramped up faster in spots.

The opening shot is a great starting clip and the night scenes really bring it all home. Well done.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. :)

You know what... I've not used the POI function yet! lol The truth is, with so much to learn, I totally forgot about it! ?? But comes to think of it, it would have been really helpful for some of the shots that took me quite a few shots to get right! lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N