DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't be deceived by calm wind

Porto

Reactions
This is a copy and paste of a thread I posted in another forum.

I almost lost my Mavic this evening. The wind was calm to almost non existent on the ground level, so I thought: well, it's a good early evening to do some long distance flight. I did not even bother to check UAV Forecast as there was practically no wind at the ground level.

After the usual take off from the balcony and landed on a small clearing in front of the balcony to get GPS lock and to set Home Point, I started the flight with battery level of about 96%. Nothing unusual about the flight. Cruising along at 150m high (legal limit in my country), the Mavic rarely touch 50kph so I didn't think that I was having tailwind (never do longish flight with tailwind!). Smart RTH kicked in just before I reached 5km with 67% battery remaining. Nothing unusual, I have done this many, many times.

I've set the Mavic RTH speed at 48 kph, so with muted RTH beeps, I can have a relaxing RTH flight. This time, the Mavic barely got 30kph. Immediately I knew I was in trouble. Pushing the right stick forward didn't help at all as I've set it close to it's max speed under GPS mode with OA off. Switched to Sports mode did increase the speed somewhat and I used this mode for a while. But then I thought as I was still more than 4.6km away and the Mavic was still going "reasonably" fast, Sports mode was probably not a good idea. So I switched back to normal mode. When it reached 4km away from HP, I lowered the height to 120m. Didn't help any, so I lowered it even further to 100m. Not a difference. And it was still 3.5km away. My heart was pounding and I started to curse. I knew I was in deep trouble. Lowered it even further to 90m high, still no difference. And it was still over 3km away. Lowered it even further to 80m, still no difference. Cannot lower it further as I started to lose connection and there were rather tall buildings to the left and right of the path. Brought it back up to 90m. 25% battery remaining and it was still 1.8km away! I thought I would certainly lose it as it won't make it back home. Once it reached 25%, the battery seemed to drop faster!

I lived in an urban jungle, if the Mavic landed somewhere on the street or on people's property, I might as well kiss it good bye. 900m away from HP and it started to pick up speed, reaching a bit over 40kph. 600m away and the battery was at critical level and the Mavic started to autoland. As I have mentioned in several threads, Safer Autoland didn't work for me. To make things worse, to cancel the autoland I switched to Sports mode, but in panic forgot to return it back to normal mode, so the Mavic did not respond smoothly with joysticks input. Pounding heartbeat didn't help either. I had to fight it from landing and it was still 600+m away! By this time RTH didn't work as it already attempted to land, so I have to control it manually with that jerky joystick response. While kept on pushing the right stick forward, I let the altitude to drop. At that time I thought (wrongly as I was in panic) that it's better to let it fall from lower altitude than high, higher chance of survival. Then finally...with 7% battery level remaining I managed to get it above the small plot of land in front of my balcony. Right there it started to land, could not force it to go up anymore. It was also already too dark for me to visually brought it to the smooth surface I "dedicated" for it to land, but at least it's somewhere I can get it! It finally landed on a rocky uneven surface with 5% battery remaining. Nicked one of the prop slightly as it hit some rocks. Not needed to be replaced though as it was very minor damage. Considering that I almost lost the drone, it was really nothing!

Now, if only Safer Autoland works, I would probably be a little bit calmer and can manage to land it at its designated landing place. Another lesson learnt? Even if the surface wind is almost non existant, I will always check UAV Forecast before attempting a long distance flight. The wind up there and 4-5km away can be very different and can caught us by surprise. Checking UAV Forecast later showed that on the return flight I had sideway headwind with gusts of 35kph!
banghead.gif

You lost me at takeoff from Balcony :p

edit: I was curious so i read your post but you lost me again at trying to land again on the balcony
with %7.
Your writing style is kinda swim too. If swim just got their Mavic that is

Last edited:
You lost me at takeoff from Balcony :p

edit: I was curious so i read your post but you lost me again at trying to land again on the balcony
with %7.
Your writing style is kinda swim too. If swim just got their Mavic that is
Haha English is not my first language, can't you tell? :)

Flying from the balcony, I can't get GPS to lock (edit: because of the roof). So, I have to fly it to an open space below my balcony to get GPS lock and to create a safe Home Point for RTH. So, the small plot of land is in front and below my balcony.

Usually if I still have enough battery remaining, I will simply hand catch the Mavic right at my balcony instead of let it actually land in the small plot of land below.

Last edited:
Reactions: alamak
It was. In wide open space like at the beach, I've landed with 5% battery remaining (this one also left with 5% when it finally landed). But it was not scary as I can land it on the beach anytime. The worse that can happen probably just some sand getting inside the Mavic. Easily cleaned by a hand blower.

Having to navigate it to a small plot of land in an urban jungle with the drone descending all the time is 10x more scary!

The title of your post should be "don't take it too far out" :p

But, respect for having the guts to post it. Lessons for many.....I hope. Good read as well.

BTW: even UAV forecast is not able to predict sudden weather changes, it only predicts the average weather for a location.

Reactions: flightmike
that was really fun to read! Oh I don't mean yours Porto, I meant Kates[emoji41]

so let me get this straight it was really calm on your couch, just not outside?
I hope flying in that urban jungle that you at least have your phone number and name attached!
or you could've named the post "I almost crapped myself", that would've got a lot of attention.

It is very common for winds just slightly above the surface of the ground to be from different directions and of different velocities than the wind at the surface. Wind is also very dynamic; just because the current wind 20 feet in the air is out of the south at 10 doesn't mean it'll be the same 30 seconds from now. Repeat after me: "Wind is DYNAMIC"! :)

I've read many threads where guys try to get max distance out of their drones by depending on the wind remaining constant throughout their flight. Some of those posts have resulted in lost drones.

Here's the "too long/didn't read" version: NEVER COUNT ON THE WIND TO REMAIN CONSTANT, EVER. :D

Also keep in mind that wind direction/velocity can change very rapidly according to altitude. You did do the right thing by trying different altitudes.

This is just my opinion, but take it for what it's worth (probably not very much): "Never plan a flight where you will be landing with less than 35% battery remaining". And "Never count on the 'you have enough battery to get home at this point' marker in the software". The software *does not* take wind into consideration in it's calculation of getting home safely.

Glad to hear that you got your drone back, and that no one was hurt. :) Thank you for sharing this learning experience with us!

Reactions: Rolo and MrsTreat
The title of your post should be "don't take it too far out" :p

But, respect for having the guts to post it. Lessons for many.....I hope. Good read as well.

BTW: even UAV forecast is not able to predict sudden weather changes, it only predicts the average weather for a location.
Actually, it is ok to take take it as far as your battery will take you...and back. I have done it so many times :)

This time I was really "deceived" (read: careless, and probably over confident) as I have done this so many times.

First of all, the wind from my balcony (2 floors up from the ground) was very calm.

Second, the outbound speed was in the high 40s kph, rarely touched 50kph. If it was constantly getting 50kph, I would immediately knew that I had tailwind.

Third, because of those 2 points above (calm wind and speed less than 50kph), I was lulled into thinking that the wind was indeed calm. I was careless with not checking the radar view to check the tilt angle of the drone. Even if I did not check with UAV Forecast, I USUALLY always check those 2 things. Never went for long flights with tailwind or strong sidewind. If I flew with my ipad instead of my iphone, I would probably immediately notice the tilt angle as the radar view is constantly displayed.

So may be the better title should be: Don't be careless and over confident? :)

that was really fun to read! Oh I don't mean yours Porto, I meant Kates[emoji41]

so let me get this straight it was really calm on your couch, just not outside?
I hope flying in that urban jungle that you at least have your phone number and name attached!
or you could've named the post "I almost crapped myself", that would've got a lot of attention.

1. It was really calmed outside, but apparently not calmed 80-150m up!
2. Flying where I live, having a phone number on your drone could give you more trouble than to simply let it go if it cannot make it back home. You can ask around where your drone was last known, but it's better not to give your phone number.
3. Yes, I did crap myself. Cursing almost all the way back haha. But I was hoping this experience can prevent others from having a similar or worse experience, and hence the title.

It is very common for winds just slightly above the surface of the ground to be from different directions and of different velocities than the wind at the surface. Wind is also very dynamic; just because the current wind 20 feet in the air is out of the south at 10 doesn't mean it'll be the same 30 seconds from now. Repeat after me: "Wind is DYNAMIC"! :)

I've read many threads where guys try to get max distance out of their drones by depending on the wind remaining constant throughout their flight. Some of those posts have resulted in lost drones.

Here's the "too long/didn't read" version: NEVER COUNT ON THE WIND TO REMAIN CONSTANT, EVER. :D

Also keep in mind that wind direction/velocity can change very rapidly according to altitude. You did do the right thing by trying different altitudes.

This is just my opinion, but take it for what it's worth (probably not very much): "Never plan a flight where you will be landing with less than 35% battery remaining". And "Never count on the 'you have enough battery to get home at this point' marker in the software". The software *does not* take wind into consideration in it's calculation of getting home safely.

Glad to hear that you got your drone back, and that no one was hurt. :) Thank you for sharing this learning experience with us!
Actually, due to my carelessness I wrote in my reply to Lake_Flyer above, this is the first time Smart RTH (almost) failed me. I only "trust" Smart RTH if I don't get tailwind or strong side wind. Having headwind with outbound flight, Smart RTH never fail me, almost always giving enough battery power remaining for me to hand catch it from my balcony instead of having to land it at the home point (takes longer to position the drone for hand catching at the balcony than to simply let it land at the home point I set).

Indeed I am glad no one was hurt. But unless the Mavic tried to land on the major highway and cause an accident, there was very little chance it would hurt anyone (that can be prevented if Safer Autoland mods works). The greatest chance was that it would land in someone's roof as the area is very heavily populated, and I can kiss it goodbye!

I've gotten to where I go up to my flying level then head to my desired vector a 100m or so then head back comparing to and from speeds. I can guesstimate the wind speed from that. Having it happen a couple of times is no fun and motivates you to learn how to avoid it. I found myself wishing several times there was a way to rig in telemetry. Having true airspeed and ground speed would be incredibly useful.

One thing you can always do if your not sure what the winds are doing is to hover for a few seconds and look at the tilt angle indicator. From this it should give you a rough idea of how strong, and from what direction wind is coming from. It won't tell you a wind speed number but comparing it to known conditions will give you a good general idea of how high the wind is at the aircraft.

I've gotten to where I go up to my flying level then head to my desired vector a 100m or so then head back comparing to and from speeds. I can guesstimate the wind speed from that. Having it happen a couple of times is no fun and motivates you to learn how to avoid it. I found myself wishing several times there was a way to rig in telemetry. Having true airspeed and ground speed would be incredibly useful.

The shame of it is, the Mavic has all the electronics necessary to not only show your true airspeed, but also wind direction and velocity. If they'd just allow it to be an option that could be displayed.

Reactions: MavicMoira
Haha English is not my first language, can't you tell? :)

I think your English is fine, I followed you the whole way. Just glad your story had a good ending. Sharing mishaps helps the rest of us.

I found myself wishing several times there was a way to rig in telemetry. Having true airspeed and ground speed would be incredibly useful.
I could not agree with you more.

This flight was part of my tests on unboosted antennas. It was early evening and the light was fading. If I flew to check wind direction first, it might be too dark for me to initiate the test flight. As I mentioned, I couldn't get GPS to lock from the balcony because of the roof. No GPS + not enough light = ATTI mode. ATTI mode + fading light + rather tight space = accident waiting to happen :D :D

One thing you can always do if your not sure what the winds are doing is to hover for a few seconds and look at the tilt angle indicator. From this it should give you a rough idea of how strong, and from what direction wind is coming from. It won't tell you a wind speed number but comparing it to known conditions will give you a good general idea of how high the wind is at the aircraft.
As I wrote in my reply to Lake_Flyer (the third point), I USUALLY do that. I was lulled into thinking that the wind was indeed calm so I didn't bother to switch to radar view to check. If I've flown with the ipad instead of the iphone, I believe I would immediately aware of the wind situation as the radar view is always displayed on a tablet.

This happened due to carelessness and over confidence. I thought I have enough experience, but it's obvious that I didn't.

I think your English is fine, I followed you the whole way. Just glad your story had a good ending. Sharing mishaps helps the rest of us.
Fine? Probably not. But at least I didn't have to use Google Translate to write the post :)

But thank you for your compliment :)

The shame of it is, the Mavic has all the electronics necessary to not only show your true airspeed, but also wind direction and velocity. If they'd just allow it to be an option that could be displayed.

Maybe something like this. We could attach it to our MP, fly up and hover and check wind speed. Then we would know.

Long Range Wireless Wind Speed Meter | Scarlet Tech

Of course this is too big and I didn't search much but maybe there's something out here. Might be worth an invention opportunity.

Thanks for sharing and glad all ended well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143