DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Make This Mistake

JDFMavic

Reactions
I've been flying my MPZ for close to a year, mostly in P mode. After taking some great footage on vacation on Sebago Lake in Maine I go careless. I decided to capture some low fast footage over water heading towards our cottage then pull up for a flyover. Even though I consider my skill level well above novice, my mission was not carefully planned out.

Not being use to sport mode, I neglected to calculate how long it takes to gain altitude flying 15 feet over the water at about 45 to 50 mph. Anyway as I was assenting there was an 80' pine tree behind me where I proceeded to park my MZ about 10' from the top.

It's crashed in deep enough that I couldn't see it from the ground. The only way that bird is coming down is if someone climbs the tree and retrieves it. It was an expensive lesson to learn. I just wanted to pass it on so that others will be more aware when flying in sport mode with the obstacle avoidance off. BTW her name was AWOL and now she has unfortunately lived up to it!

Great story with a bad outcome. Sorry you lost AWOL. Since you know (exactly) where it is . . . can you hire a tree trimming service to retrieve it (if its a reasonable cost)? I'd definitely look into it. I'd start with the vacation resort to see who they use and when is the next scheduled tree trimming service. Just a thought . . .

Reactions: TSUPD and awsan5
Thanks. It's not reachable by a crane. When it happened on a Saturday afternoon (and we were leaving on Sunday), there wasn't any tree workers willing to return my calls. So, being almost 3 hours away, I gave up hope. Is there a possibility that next summer AWOL will be worth anything if I get her back? I'm sure it will have some body damage as the very least. I serousily doubt it will fall out over the winter. It was solidly embedded in the pine branches.

Sorry to hear of your loss, the M2P is a beautiful machine.
Maybe there can be hope yet if someone can be arranged to climb the tree soon, before any inclement weather.
Hope you have insurance like State Farm or similar ?

Sports mode takes ages to brake, or climb, something like that could happen to any drone model / brand if they fly similar speeds.

When you get your new drone, name it Boomerang !!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like it would have been an awesome video.

I tend to use mission apps (like Dronelink) for video I want to capture and share. I go on-site to make sure trees didn't have a big growth year (or two) to make sure I don't run into anything. Being able to set a height at a specific point removes a bit of human error. Granted it's not as fun as flying. :)

I'm not nearly as experienced as you (~6 months flying) and haven't named my M2Z yet - interesting idea.

Reactions: DougMcC
It is doubtful that the M2Z will be worth anything (if you're able to retrieve or find it when you return). However, if you retrieve it, you could send it to DJI for repair or discounted replacement. It may be worth a try.

Good luck and so sorry to hear about your loss

Reactions: yellowjacketco
Thanks! As a novice with only a few months with my M2P, I’ve not attempted to use Sports mode. When I attempt to do so, I’ll remember your post!

Reactions: Van Shteffy
If you haven't retrieved already, try contacting an arborist. They can climb any tree. Make SURE they are LICENSED & INSURED. Might be $$$. Get quotes.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
So basically your saying You Drone went to it’s final resting place in the sky.?
How fitting.
May you alway have Calm Wind and Dry Air
R.I.P ...AWOL

.... cR

Sorry for your loss. What I don't understand is why you switch your sensors off. Unless you want to do fly throughs or things like that there would be no reason I can think of.

Sorry for your loss. What I don't understand is why you switch your sensors off. Unless you want to do fly throughs or things like that there would be no reason I can think of.

It supposedly also gives slightly longer battery life and faster flying . . . may be handy for over ocean flights, I guess.

Maybe sunlight causing the drone to stop could be a pain on the M2 models ?
The M1P OA sensors on the front are notorious for stopping the drone when flying towards the sun.

Not sure if having OA sensors virtually all round, does the M2 also suffer this ?
I can't imagine DJI haven't addressed this, as it would be difficult to fly with front, rear, left, right (top ?) all affected.

By switching to sport mode the OA sensors are turnoff automatically. I think it has to do the pitch the aircraft has to be in to obtain such high speeds. Anyway I don’t think it could have stopped her in time at 50 mph

Reactions: Drgnfli
Easy... Sport mode does NOT allow the use of obstacle avoidance sensors! Period! So, in order to go faster like the OP planned, he had to turn off slow safe mode, and go to ludicrous speed and plaid mode.... (hahahahaha Spaceballs)

only way to get the AC so reactive, unless you tamper with firmware

Whoa, no impact ?
Sorry, wasn't looking forward to it, just surprised it's missing.

Looking at that pine, the branches and foliage aren't all that thick.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it managed to dislodge when a decent wind blows through there.

Who owns the little house underneath this ?
Maybe drop them a line anda nice bottle of wine and ask them to keep an eye out for it ?

I thought the actual impact would be too much for many drone owners to handle! I think she probably closed her eyes right before the crash!o_O Anyway, her registration numbers and my phone number are inside the batter compartment. The neighbor said they would alert the property owner of my error in judgement. I would say a bottle of fine single malt scotch would be in order!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
You gotta play the whole thing. I would, contact a local guy around the area, with a GOOD rep and review! Ask him what he thinks, and if he would grab it down, but also ship it to you for a few? Most of those tree guys are good dudes... If they can’t do it, their girl can.
Super crappy... But... keep faith.. as long as water does not blow past the seals, you have a chance! It’s worth a try! No question!
I would pay!

It’s like watching a really good movie, and then the power goes out right at the best part! Press play!!!

Reactions: dod888 and TSUPD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21