DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Make This Mistake

Sorry Schivers, but the last 2.5 seconds are in the internal cache and probably on the SD card. You're welcome to bring her down so that we can all see the ending! :rolleyes:

Reactions: TSUPD and Shivers
Sorry Schivers, but the last 2.5 seconds are in the internal cache and probably on the SD card. You're welcome to bring her down so that we can all see the ending! :rolleyes:
Dang man.... would love to get her back for ya! I’ll pray! Ha ha ha.

Try sending up a rescue drone with a dangling hook to see if can be snagged.

Again, call a local tree climber. But... that looks sunny and warm.... I live in Mass, this was not last weekend, or weekend before... that was like September. So, she’s still up top!? I used to know folks up around that lake, but it’s been years... Anyone you know that could check. She might be on the ground.

That seems to be similar to throwing a drowning man an anchor! AWOL will be missed, but I have already moved on. I do however like the name boomerang for her replacement!

Reactions: TSUPD
Some guy a while back flew into a tree in San Francisco park. He did use a tree service to recover the drone. I don't think you should give up.

I think I'm naming my Mini "froggy". It kind of looks like a large frog or toad when folded up, and even a little unfolded. The false sensor cooling ports seems to be what does it as well as its size.
Looking at my M2 Zoom, looks somewhat like a shark because of the protruding front where the front sensors sit. I think I'll call it "Sharky"

I've been flying my MPZ for close to a year, mostly in P mode. After taking some great footage on vacation on Sebago Lake in Maine I go careless. I decided to capture some low fast footage over water heading towards our cottage then pull up for a flyover. Even though I consider my skill level well above novice, my mission was not carefully planned out.

Not being use to sport mode, I neglected to calculate how long it takes to gain altitude flying 15 feet over the water at about 45 to 50 mph. Anyway as I was assenting there was an 80' pine tree behind me where I proceeded to park my MZ about 10' from the top.

It's crashed in deep enough that I couldn't see it from the ground. The only way that bird is coming down is if someone climbs the tree and retrieves it. It was an expensive lesson to learn. I just wanted to pass it on so that others will be more aware when flying in sport mode with the obstacle avoidance off. BTW her name was AWOL and now she has unfortunately lived up to it!
Contact Dan at [email protected] He is an arborist who lives near Kezar Lake, (so not all that far away) and he does it on a pretty regular basis.

Thanks Dragonfly, I contacted Dan and he seems to think there is hope for AWOL! I'll keep you posted.

As it turns out, the painful decision has been made to let AWOL RIP overlooking Sebago Lake in Maine. After calculating the $350 to $450 to have an arborist retrieve her from the 80' pine tree along with the $350 to $450 to have DJI repair her, the rescue didn't appear to be cost effective.

I do appreciate all the sentiment and helpful advice from many of the forum members, however I think she would have wanted to go out this way!

Oh Yes..... I'm hooked. I couldn't go drone-less for long. If you purchase a new MZ2, it comes with a battery and controller. So I sold both, ended up with a replacement for about $700.

Reactions: ff22
Our group was flying at the park and someone did the same thing into the top of an oak tree about that height. Fortunately, there were some city workers trimming trees with a bucket lift around the corner and the owner managed to talk them into helping retrieve it. Unfortunately the bucket was about 10' short but the guy managed to shake the tree limbs enough to knock it out and a couple guys on the ground, obviously with experience, managed to catch it in a shirt.
Unfortunately, a pine tree is very different, but you can hope.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar