DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Download and read the full manual TWICE before first flight.

jarnie

Reactions
Well that is my suggestion.

I have yet to purchase my Mavic Air 2 but I downloaded the FULL manual (see link in thread at top of this forum) and have started to read it for the second time and feel if is a great benefit to understand all that this drone offers and can do and much of what I read doesn't seem to be covered in any video I have watched (sorry haven't views any of the DJI videos yet) such as setting the maximum altitude LOW for RTH.
I was starting to think that as there is no sensor at the top of the AIR 2 and it was being flown UNDER trees (such as a follow me for bush walkers) when RTH was engaged then it would most likely crash into the branches of the tree while ascending for RTH unless the RTH altitude was set lower than the lowest branches. Of course the reverse need to also be considered - although hopefully the forward facing sensors would detect obstacles during that.

Once again read that full manual at least once and maybe twice or more as there is so much to learn and remember.

• Haha
Reactions: obvnotright
Don’t rely on sensors especially where trees or wires are concerned, they can see a wall but twigs and wire are a different thing.
Sensors may help you avoid a crash but they are not a failsafe.

Reactions: wali and Paulf10
Of course (don't rely on sensors) but also I don't think I can can't rely on noticing obstacles on a 6 inch phone screen- well I can't with my aging eyesight and need all the help I can :(.

The example was just there to highlite the old age saying "if it doesn't work then read the instructions".

I have yet to purchase my Mavic Air 2 but I downloaded the FULL manual (see link in thread at top of this forum) and have started to read it for the second time and feel if is a great benefit to understand all that this drone offers and can do and much of what I read doesn't seem to be covered in any video I have watched (sorry haven't views any of the DJI videos yet) such as setting the maximum altitude LOW for RTH.
I was starting to think that as there is no sensor at the top of the AIR 2 and it was being flown UNDER trees (such as a follow me for bush walkers) when RTH was engaged then it would most likely crash into the branches of the tree while ascending for RTH unless the RTH altitude was set lower than the lowest branches. Of course the reverse need to also be considered - although hopefully the forward facing sensors would detect obstacles during that.

Once again read that full manual at least once and maybe twice or more as there is so much to learn and remember.
Being a new member also I applaud you for actually reading the manual.....so many of the questions asked here in the forum wouldnt have been asked if ppl had read the manual..
??

Reactions: THE CYBORG
And for those that read this thread and are now thinking “where do I find the manual”, there’s a sticky at the top of this forum where you can find the link.... happy reading!

I think the majority of new owners don’t even know there is an online manual. Dji does a horrible job letting new owners know there is one available. The little quick start guide in the box is not enough information to prevent most problems new owners are having.
letting someone know there is a manual and showing them a link to where it is, is very helpful, except to those that get butthurt and offended over every little thing possible.

Good advice. A buddy of mine should have read it too. He ran the battery down to critical, (mistake number one), and it went into RTH mode. He was also under trees, so it crashed...just as advertised. It used to be a Phantom 4. Now it's "parts". He had never changed any perimeters. Took it out of the box, charged a battery, and flew it.

I've read the online manual twice also, can't remember everything when flying MA2 but it has made me careful and to do one step at a time and keep within limits. Always google manuals for everything and have done for ages as quick start leaflets are useless! (but now seem to be the norm!)

Yes trying to remember everything is difficult (learning curve). I found reading the full manual twice helped me better understand various features and start to remember them I have made my self a "check list" (like pilots use before an aircraft flight) which I will print out and take with me when flying until I feel comfortable - hey pilots always use 'checklists' regardless of how many times they have flown the same aircraft instead of relying on memory.
Regarding flying under trees. I only thought of this the other day when taking my dog for a walk in the forest/wood and thinking that perhaps I could do a video of that and then considered RTH and how it would ascend to the RTH altitude set.

I am now retired and the cost of the AIR2 is white a lot and as such want to reduce as much as possible making costly errors - I have already ordered prop guards?

DJI needs to "up it's game" and advise purchasers where the full manual is located and recommend it is read. They can either do that with a sticker on the outside of the box (easy to attach to those already manufactured and boxed), a slip of paper printed in the box and/or the quick start guide be reprinted with that information.
How do we let DJI know?

Does anyone have any recommendations for the DJI CARE REFRESH?

Reactions: InvisibleName
Does anyone have any recommendations for the DJI CARE REFRESH?
ThereS a ton of info on the care refresh. Its major downfall is that you MUST return the drone. Hard to do if you’ve lost it. Here in the states, a far better option is State Farm insurance. It’s a policy that covers any damage or loss and only costs $60 a year. But not available in all states. And not all agents even know about it.

Thanks. It is interesting that DJI require the drone to be returned to them and in some ways I can understand that. I had not even thought about the fact that there could be 'third party' companies offering insurance fro drones so I 'Googled' that but could find NO companies based in Australia who openly advertised such insurance only some who have such insurance at their overseas offices and those who appear to offer insurance on anything after consultation.

Thanks. It is interesting that DJI require the drone to be returned to them and in some ways I can understand that. I had not even thought about the fact that there could be 'third party' companies offering insurance fro drones so I 'Googled' that but could find NO companies based in Australia who openly advertised such insurance only some who have such insurance at their overseas offices and those who appear to offer insurance on anything after consultation.
It’s not drone specific insurance. Here it’s called Personal Articles Insurance. The same as you would use to insure a camera or other expensive item.

I know about personal articles insurance but here in Australia that is attached to your home insurance (I think), not a separate policy. It is an addon to cover SPECIFIC items which are taken from the home such as jewellery and cameras which are normally in the house.
I will have a look.

Reading the manual is ALWAYS an excellent (yet often neglected) idea. But you might want to add watching some vids as well. I actually found the manual a bit lacking in a few areas. Mainly camera settings and the aforementioned sensors.
I've had the MA2 for a couple of months, been flying quads for a while and building and crashing rc planes for a lot longer (I have a 5 digit AMA number ? ) In that time I've learned that letting somebody else go first and watching the vid (as well as reading the manual) will save TONS of hobby bucks. The DJI vids are good, but I've picked up a TON of information from various and sundry youtube vids that wasn't covered.

That said there will still be PLENTY of opportunities for firsthand, first time, learning experiences.
Like downward sensors in RTH think light branches look like good solid landing spots. (paused briefly, set down, then shut off the motors...+3 m from the ground. Guess it sensed the soft ground below)

And to think I could have learned that here instead ?:
Don’t rely on sensors especially where trees or wires are concerned.....Sensors may help you avoid a crash but they are not a failsafe.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000