DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downsizing from Mavic 2 Zoom to Mavic Mini?

I've been flying the mini past few days since its new and went back to flying the M2 for comparison. No chance in hell I'd trade in a M2 for the Mini. Its fun to fly and all bu the M2 is completely on another league in terms of pretty much everything!
Mini is small but still not really pocket able unless you're want a brick in your pocket, also easy to damage those props unless secured properly, so you'll still need a small bag to carry.

You'll need to assess your own needs as to which is best suited, but for me the M2 isnt going anywhere anytime soon.
The pocket idea was presented in this video at the 12 second mark.
I’m not wearing pants that will permit that transportation method, but I do believe some of the targeted market that DJI aimed for in this product subscribes to that line of apparel.

Coming from a MA it is significantly quieter, I no longer feel self consciousness flying this drone responsibility.
Just a few flights at this time and yes, much quieter. Sport mode isn’t too bad either. Will be interesting to see if the master air screw folks will be looking at a new production line.

A very interesting conversation guys and I understand the OP's thinking - a quandary that I also find myself in. I have the M2P and rarely use most of the 'pro' video features i.e. DLOG 10 bit and so forth. I have, however started using the RAW format for still photos, which for me gives more options in Lightroom etc. I'm by no means professional with photography, but downgrading to the MM would mean losing that feature - unless they decide to upgrade the software to do that?. There are two things important to me - sized/portability and low noise. So, being able to take the drone out with you wherever you go and then to be able to just get it out for those impromptu flights, is really great - I find taking the M2P tends to be a more planned affair.
I also have a Parrot Anafi, which is small and easily fits into an average size cross body bag - it's also does RAW, is very quiet and draws virtually no attention - which I find very important these days (and is after all, the main reason the average person doesn't like drones).
I think if the MM is as people say, really quiet and was also upgraded to RAW, I'd likely trade down from the M2P and this would give me an alternative/backup to the Anafi.
Just another viewpoint - for what it's worth!

Reactions: floyd
A few months later, I am curious if the members who “downsized” are happy with their choices? There is currently a great deal on the MM Fly More (+64GB microSD), so I was thinking of jumping on it...

Considering the cost difference the Mini is a good value. The main things you sacrifice in the cost difference is the Mini is more affected by wind and its range is more limited. The camera however is quite good and the image quality shouldn’t be reduced based on your comments about not using the advanced features much on your current mavic.

Considering the cost difference the Mini is a good value. The main things you sacrifice in the cost difference is the Mini is more affected by wind and its range is more limited. The camera however is quite good and the image quality shouldn’t be reduced based on your comments about not using the advanced features much on your current mavic.

Sadly that is not correct. I had the Mini lying around for 2 weeks (due to a DIY project) and yesterday I had the first chance to test it. What I noticed above all other things is the reach of the thing, or better the lack of wifi reach. In CE-Mode it is absolute crap. Those YouTubers who did not make a strong point of this, or actually did the opposite, must have made a good buck by misleading their audience to the absolute max. In populated areas, you get massive lags and disconnects below 100m. This is an total joke. It flies well, is reasonably quiet, Images are fine, video footage is fine but the reach is the equivalent of the middle finger to all buyers, at least in Europe. Man, this is bad beyond belief. I cannot get over this. Simply horrible.

On a second thought wind will add to the woes of controller reach. The sucker will loose connection and then try to fight its way back home against headwind to no avail. And the pilot can't do jack. He cannot land, he cannot reduce height, he cannot change flight mode. He can write the thing off, that is all he can do. What a disappointment.

Sadly that is not correct. I had the Mini lying around for 2 weeks (due to a DIY project) and yesterday I had the first chance to test it. What I noticed above all other things is the reach of the thing, or better the lack of wifi reach. In CE-Mode it is absolute crap. Those YouTubers who did not make a strong point of this, or actually did the opposite, must have made a good buck by misleading their audience to the absolute max. In populated areas, you get massive lags and disconnects below 100m. This is an total joke. It flies well, is reasonably quiet, Images are fine, video footage is fine but the reach is the equivalent of the middle finger to all buyers, at least in Europe. Man, this is bad beyond belief. I cannot get over this. Simply horrible.

On a second thought wind will add to the woes of controller reach. The sucker will loose connection and then try to fight its way back home against headwind to no avail. And the pilot can't do jack. He cannot land, he cannot reduce height, he cannot change flight mode. He can write the thing off, that is all he can do. What a disappointment.
I live in Sweden and a really wifi crowded place. I get 970m before loosing video feed.
That's not 2km but still more then I need.

You can use the money you save and buy 2 Mini's. When you lose the first one in the wind, you'll learn to fly safely with the second one :)
I myself kept the Mini but M2 remains my daily driver, Mini is a great little quad and certainly punches above its weight for what it is but need to be very selective when I fly it due to the elements and its limitations.
M2 gives me a little more freedom and opportunity to fly it hence it being the daily driver.

Get/keep both if you can :)

For anyone coming off the M2, be very careful with the downgrade to the Mini, depending when/how you fly the Mini can be quite a change in flight characteristic and some seasoned fliers here have found out the hard way.

• Sad
Reactions: SkyDogII
as an owner of the MPP and now the MM as well,they are totally different UAVs with respect to capabilities, and although they look alike that's where the similarity ends
they both have a different role to play,and one is brilliant for flying low and slow and and the other is great for getting up and out and about, and i leave it to you to guess which is which

I'm totally satisfied with my exchange from the M2Z to the MM. I bought the fly more combo kit. It's just what i was looking for!
I'm still tempted to sell it to get another remote control car. I think I enjoy the cars more than the drones....Plus the guys with the cars that i know are more down to earth than the drone flyers I know... The guys with the drones that I know always seem to feel like they are better than everyone else...I tell them, Wow just 'cause you have a 107 doesn't make you special...just means you passed a test.... I really enjoy the MM...

Beware.................................

I have a Mavic Air and wanted to downsize to the MM. I had control issues with the MM and it had to go back to its maker. Still waiting on a replacement. You gotta look at what you will be doing with it, the MM does not like a lot of wind. I travel a lot and could/will end up in mountains etc. so having a drone that can handle some wind is important.

As such, I know where there is a brand new MM for sale............................

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks