DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downtown is constantly off limits because of baseball games

black_magic100

Reactions
Does anybody know the law with regards to flying NEAR a stadium when a sports game is going on. When I say "near" what I really mean is like 3+ miles away.

According to airmaps my downtown is constantly off limits because of baseball games that basically happen every single day of the week. I understand they don't want people flying during the event, but every time I check airmaps it still has the restrictions several hours after the game has begun/ended.

Edit: just to clarify, airmaps does say "temporary restriction" and provides a time period, but the red circles are still on the map. Is it considered legal to fly as long as it is not within the provided timeframe. Who could I contact to make sure I am following the law

TFRs are in effect 1 hr before and after a schedule MLB game and covers an area of 3 miles. The FAA website publishes a list of TFRs. I live near a stadium with a retractable roof and the TFR applies regardless of whether or not the roof is open. TFRs only apply to certain sports (MLB and NFL).

Reactions: ksmusa
TFRs are in effect 1 hr before and after a schedule MLB game and covers an area of 3 miles. The FAA website publishes a list of TFRs. I live near a stadium with a retractable roof and the TFR applies regardless of whether or not the roof is open. TFRs only apply to certain sports (MLB and NFL).
That makes sense because the game today is at 1:10 and airmaps shows the time starting at 12:10.

It's just odd because it isn't even close to 12:10 yet and the red circle is already showing. I guess it's to notify pilots that a TFR is about to take place.

Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

But note the red banner at the bottom of the page, which describes the only guaranteed answer to the question.
I am trying to figure out how I can be 100% sure that the NOTAM/TFR has been lifted because MLB games don't exactly last X amount of time.

I called 1800WXbrief and spoke with a rep, but not much help. I am going to try to call that number again and select the option for NOTAM's and hopefully in an hour the automated system will say TFR is in effect. I am assuming that is how this system is suppose to work. You call that number and listen to the automated machine for all active NOTAM's and that will give us the most accurate answer of when we are clear to fly.

It is not only MLB games, it is Division 1 football, NFL, and NASCAR too.

They ASSUME a standard baseball broadcast to be somewhere around 3 hours.... to the point they are changing rules to make the game go faster.

The TFR should give effective start time and duration, but it is on you to make sure the game is over before you fly inside the restricted airspace.

What city are you in?

In Boston and other cities the stadiums are in Class B airspace and a no no zone anyway

Cincinnati. The closest airport is CVG, which I believe is class B. However the closest airport to downtown in Lunken airport, and it only covers about 1/3rd of the city.

I tried calling 1800wxbrief for an up to date TFR and they said no special notifications at this time so I guess that won't work. I'll just go off Google airmaps time which is 12-6pm and make sure the game is over by 6.

Skyvector.com is what is use. They utilize an orange circle to represent a scheduled Tfr a d a red circle for an active Tfr.
That;s what I was looking for. Is their an app that does this though. Airmaps shows it, but not the live TFR.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S