DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone at a fair

DJIce

Reactions
Hi all, I wanted to ask the experts about something I've noticed every so often. I understand we're not allowed to fly our drones directly over people. However, I've seen drones fly directly above groups of people at various functions such as weddings and other events. I know they have a commercial licence for those events but do they become exempt to the 'overfly' rule somehow?

Another thing, I was at a fair recently and noticed a drone in the air. Bare in mind there are lots of high rides that are constantly moving and turning, how is this legal?
I'm wondering if it was for personal use or whether it was some council like organisation taking footage to promote the event.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

No, flying over people not directly involved in your operations is specifically prohibited in 107.39, even if you are licensed. This can be waived, but there are very, very few people who have received some relief from that regulation.

By people "directly involved in your operations," I mean the remote pilot in command (PIC) and your visual observers (VOs). So, fly over yourself all day long if you want to!

Reference: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Reactions: dawgpilot and DJIce
'high rides that are constantly moving and turning, ' shouldn't be a factor as long as you do not fly close to them. I took video and photos of the local county fair last weekend. There's a rail road track the length of the fair grounds and I stayed directly above it for the entire flight.

"On very rare occasions, people fly illegally."

Really says it all.

Many of those drones are operated by law enforcement, thus may not be subject the same regs as the rest of us.

Many of those drones are operated by law enforcement, thus may not be subject the same regs as the rest of us.

Law enforcement still needs to comply with the part 107 rules, specifically the one about not flying over people absent a waiver.

Law enforcement still needs to comply with the part 107 rules, specifically the one about not flying over people absent a waiver.
Not necessarily:

Law enforcement and public safety entities have three options for operating drones under 55 pounds.
  • Fly under 14 CFR part 107, the small UAS rule. Part 107 allows operations of UAS under 55 pounds at or below 400 feet above ground level (AGL) for visual line-of-sight operations only.
  • Fly under Public Aircraft Operations. Operate with a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) to be able to self-certify UAS and operators for flights performing governmental functions. To learn more about public COAs, please contact the UAS Help Desk.
  • Hire a 14 CFR part 107 certificated operator.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevinNorgarb