DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Coach Part 107 Certification

We should set up a thread here to do a class... if its running here as class discussion, and using Google Group, Skype or whatever to do live feed, I bet it would be a successful way to go.

Any interest?

***Mods***- how about a dedicated post for 107 study group?

Reactions: Watash48
Greetings Part 107 Pilots,

Can any certified part 107 pilots provide any feedback regarding the Part 107 training offered by UAV Coach?

I appreciate receiving your knowledge about this specific company.

Drone Certification Guide: Inside the FAA's Part 107 Regulations

Thank you,
Steve
$299 for the 107 course seems like a lot, considering everything you need to study is available for free and it's easy to find. The FAA has their own study guide you can download, there are sample test questions available from 3dr that are very similar to the ones I've seen on the test, and YouTube has every 107 topic you could ask for well covered if you get stumped. Start with Tony Northrup's video. Watch it at least twice. Take the 3dr test and you'll know where to concentrate your study when you're working through the FAA guide. I'd put in about 15-20 hours of study over a 2 or 3 week period, although you could probably pass with much less.

Reactions: Watash48
$299 for the 107 course seems like a lot, considering everything you need to study is available for free and it's easy to find. The FAA has their own study guide you can download, there are sample test questions available from 3dr that are very similar to the ones I've seen on the test, and YouTube has every 107 topic you could ask for well covered if you get stumped. Start with Tony Northrup's video. Watch it at least twice. Take the 3dr test and you'll know where to concentrate your study when you're working through the FAA guide. I'd put in about 15-20 hours of study over a 2 or 3 week period, although you could probably pass with much less.

Great information, thank you. This is a great forum to help those of us seeking knowledge as well as those that can provide it.

Don’t complain at 300 bucks as there are some places in Canada that wants 8 times that much

Reactions: Roman50
Here is the study guide I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Pilot...t=&hvlocphy=9029023&hvtargid=pla-541252829911

LINK TO FREE FAA HANDBOOK: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf
You need this for study, but not the entire book. You will be provided one for the actual test.

Another excellent website for prep:
Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate (Updated 2018) -

Search the FAA website thoroughly for data as well. Half the study is seeking the data yourself. Hint: Use the last link I gave to help you learn more specifically what you need to study!

I studied, took the sample tests and applied common sense. I passed the first time in the 90% range.
It's not all that difficult. Truthfully, if you pay more than the study guide workbook, you are wasting money for study. There are plenty of free resources on the internet as well. Bad enough to have to pay $150 to a private company just for the FAA cert, so you should not have to pay the same to another private company just for study of material that is free on the internet.
You can do it! Get the study guide workbook, glean info from the internet, download and review sources from the FAA web as well.
It's amazing how some companies want to charge you for the free info that is already available.
Google search for FAA 107 FREE STUDY

Last edited:
Hi @Watash48 — Alan here from UAV Coach and Drone Pilot Ground School. I'm the CEO and lead instructor of our online course. Some great resources in this thread and wanted to share some other free resources as well:
Our paid online course isn't a great fit for everyone. Many of our students are looking for a structured program with a dedicated phone / email support rep to answer their questions along the way. If you don't need that kind of consulting, I'd encourage you to self-study.

One thing that we've done as a company to try and better justify our price, other than providing stellar support — over 900+ 4 and 5-star reviews — is to go above-and-beyond just passing the test. We have bonus lessons in things like airspace authorization, how to apply for a Daylight Operations waiver, legal considerations, flight operations management, pricing and packaging, real estate marketing, and more. We send out a weekly email to our students with helpful interviews and case studies and information about industry product launches, regulatory changes, etc.

We're also not a static product — meaning, unlike our competition and some of the other resources out there, we're staying up-to-date with the industry and, I'd say every couple of weeks, hopping into the course to add new practice questions, new links into the course, etc.

OK, taking my sales hat back off — we're not a great fit for everyone, and it's certainly not required to go through a formal training program to get your Part 107 certificate and to start operating a drone commercially.

Hope this helps, you can email me anytime at [email protected] and also happy to set up time to speak on the phone as well.

If you or anyone reading this uses the code CIVIL50, that'll knock $50 off the price of the course.

Alan

Hi @Watash48 — Alan here from UAV Coach and Drone Pilot Ground School. I'm the CEO and lead instructor of our online course. Some great resources in this thread and wanted to share some other free resources as well:
Our paid online course isn't a great fit for everyone. Many of our students are looking for a structured program with a dedicated phone / email support rep to answer their questions along the way. If you don't need that kind of consulting, I'd encourage you to self-study.

One thing that we've done as a company to try and better justify our price, other than providing stellar support — over 900+ 4 and 5-star reviews — is to go above-and-beyond just passing the test. We have bonus lessons in things like airspace authorization, how to apply for a Daylight Operations waiver, legal considerations, flight operations management, pricing and packaging, real estate marketing, and more. We send out a weekly email to our students with helpful interviews and case studies and information about industry product launches, regulatory changes, etc.

We're also not a static product — meaning, unlike our competition and some of the other resources out there, we're staying up-to-date with the industry and, I'd say every couple of weeks, hopping into the course to add new practice questions, new links into the course, etc.

OK, taking my sales hat back off — we're not a great fit for everyone, and it's certainly not required to go through a formal training program to get your Part 107 certificate and to start operating a drone commercially.

Hope this helps, you can email me anytime at [email protected] and also happy to set up time to speak on the phone as well.

If you or anyone reading this uses the code CIVIL50, that'll knock $50 off the price of the course.

Alan
Your video courses are an absolute plus to a person seeking 107 cert. You reinforce and tie in a lot of the free data out there. I, myself, did not utilize any paid course but did, in fact, visit many YT and www sites. I built an extensive personal library from the FAA site as well for study. I did manage to pass in upper 80s. But, this all worked for me. Again, your site does contain a plutheria for study. Recommended.

Reactions: uavcoach
I used this one (I think I had some sort of coupon). It has the reaacurring training too. Remote Pilot 101
passed 107 first try with a 94
Full disclosure... I did watch Alan's video's on youtube and found them to be very helpful also Thumbswayup

Reactions: GrayGhost
So are there benefits to having a 107 license for hobbyists over just flying as a hobbyist?

I’m interested in using the Mavic as a soft side hustle... don’t have the energy to start a full on gig, but are there other things having this will allow me to do besides bill for flying?

I used Drone Launch Academy a few months ago and passed the test the first time with a 93%. I like their lifetime access to course material, multiple prep tests, optional flash cards and money back guarantee if you don't pass the first time. It was also much cheaper than the alternatives - paid $129 at the time with a discount coupon.

FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Exam Prep Course

So are there benefits to having a 107 license for hobbyists over just flying as a hobbyist?
You don't have to call the airport if you fly inside the 5 mile limit, just look at a terminal chart and if it's Class G, you're good. Plus if it is restricted, with LAANC, you can get immediate authorization with some altitude restrictions. Just last week, I got 200' AGL and was maybe 1/2 mile from the side of the runway.

You don't have to call the airport if you fly inside the 5 mile limit, just look at a terminal chart and if it's Class G, you're good. Plus if it is restricted, with LAANC, you can get immediate authorization with some altitude restrictions. Just last week, I got 200' AGL and was maybe 1/2 mile from the side of the runway.

Thanks! I’m playing with the idea of taking a class, getting certified, and maybe trying my hand at using this as a minor side hustle, but am wondering what other benefits (ie what restrictions are different) I may be able to access with the certification/license.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661