DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Collides With Hot Air Balloon

JSKCKNIT

Reactions
Last edited:
Vjslof,
Here's the reply I received from the author of the article for follow up info.
Screenshot_20181002-111437_Gmail.jpeg

I don't care how novice or contrite that drone pilot was, he should face significant financial penalties for his stupidity. Even if a pilot is too lazy to educate himself about the rules and laws, all it takes is the smallest bit of common sense to realize that flying a drone near hot air balloons is a STUPID thing to do. People that are stupid and/or lack common sense shouldn't be allowed to own or fly a drone.

When I got my Mavic I spent multiple hours flying it just 4-6 feet off the ground on my own property to familiarize myself with the controls and responsiveness/speed of the drone. In other words, I applied common sense to my approach of learning to fly a drone.

After reading in this forum the number of people that have done stupid things while controlling a drone, I think it is a mistake that anyone can walk into a Best Buy and buy a drone (that has the capability to be flown hundreds of feet into the air) without having to provide proof that they've passed some sort of safety certification process.

Nobody wants an untrained & inexperienced novice pilot at the controls of the Boeing 727 they are riding in. The same should be true for flying a drone. The more I read about stories like this one the more I wish that Congress had gone further and passed legislation to require testing BEFORE you can buy a drone. It is only a matter of time before an idiot that is flying his new drone in an unsafe manner causes someone's death (or, multiple deaths).

Mark

I don't care how novice or contrite that drone pilot was, he should face significant financial penalties for his stupidity. Even if a pilot is too lazy to educate himself about the rules and laws, all it takes is the smallest bit of common sense to realize that flying a drone near hot air balloons is a STUPID thing to do. People that are stupid and/or lack common sense shouldn't be allowed to own or fly a drone.

When I got my Mavic I spent multiple hours flying it just 4-6 feet off the ground on my own property to familiarize myself with the controls and responsiveness/speed of the drone. In other words, I applied common sense to my approach of learning to fly a drone.

After reading in this forum the number of people that have done stupid things while controlling a drone, I think it is a mistake that anyone can walk into a Best Buy and buy a drone (that has the capability to be flown hundreds of feet into the air) without having to provide proof that they've passed some sort of safety certification process.

Nobody wants an untrained & inexperienced novice pilot at the controls of the Boeing 727 they are riding in. The same should be true for flying a drone. The more I read about stories like this one the more I wish that Congress had gone further and passed legislation to require testing BEFORE you can buy a drone. It is only a matter of time before an idiot that is flying his new drone in an unsafe manner causes someone's death (or, multiple deaths).

Mark
I agree. It's not like the balloon suddenly appeared out of nowhere doing 250 knts.

Without knowing the whole story, without details and without basic clues, how do you know that the user was untrained and violated some rules (what rules)?

How serious was the incident? Were there any people injured? Any damages to balloon or the drone? What did the drone user say about the incident? Any witnesses?

Reactions: conchman

Mark

While I agree with your points, drone instructors/trainers are already expensive AF, enacting legislation to require such would only exacerbate the issue. With the ability to connect two remotes simultaneously, I don't know why more experienced drone owners don't offer to teach for some side cash but I guess that's a discussion for another time. Another approach would be for drone manufacturers to apply software that would require the user to complete a series of maneuvers to unlock the full potential of the device.
There have been no shortage of drone owners reporting their drones developing a mind of its own and flying off, not responding to commands and/or losing signal regardless of distance or surroundings. I'll wait for the full report with details but either way, I'll stand by my opinion that every drone user should be required to display competency when operating a drone. Of course we already have that for cars and look how many idiots operate those.

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

So no but i sort off replied to Vegasdad's message.

From the linked article that you cannot read:

"He was an inexperienced operator flying a drone within 5 miles of the Driggs-Reed Memorial Airport without contacting air control, which in itself is illegal. Software in his drone warned him of the proximity of the airport but he overrode the warning and sent the device skyward.

Then he made his second mistake: He lost sight of the nearby balloon on his monitor and didn’t realize that he was driving the drone repeatedly into the fabric of the balloon, shearing off its propellers until it dropped and became entangled in the balloon’s load lines. Destroyed, the drone then fell to the ground."

The drone pilot was on the ground and, not only flew his drone into the balloon but was flying it within 5 miles of an airport without notifying the ATC, it appears he was also flying beyond visual line of sight too.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo