DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone comparisons

If you have the budget I would more certainly choose the Mavic Pro. If you have even more of a budget the Mavic Pro 2 / Zoom would be an excellent choice.

I came from the Phantom world and let me tell you walking around with a teenage mutant ninja turtle backpack on just to be able to fly the craft got old super fast.

I am just approaching the drone hobby. I am trying to decide which one to buy. I would like to choose between a phantom and a mavic. Is there any thoughts out there about which is best for doing photography?

My thoughts:

If I were in your shoes, this is what I would be asking myself. What is my:
  1. Budget
  2. Mission
  3. Desire for portability
  4. Location
  5. Preferred media? Video or stills?
  6. Confidence in my flying abilities
After you have answered these questions, we could help steer you better.

The Phantom 4 PRO and the Mavic 2 Pro are the two best consumer DJI units for photos/video right now. That being said, the Mavic Pro (original) is extremely capable and can be found for about half the price of each of the above, it just takes a little bit more knowledge of various settings (and skill) to get the best out of it. As a hobbyist you might not even see a big difference in most photos. A short while ago the MP1 was the top of the line and everyone raved about it. Now it's "old", but has solid firmware and features, is easy to find parts for, easy to mod firmware for if desired, and solidly supported by third-party apps, as is the Phantom 4 series. The major benefit of the Mavic series is that you can easily carry them anywhere very easily. When hiking, I carry my MP1, remote, and a spare battery in a nylon water bottle pouch. I wouldn't even think of carrying my Phantom on a hike.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .

0rojyyg-png.95983

If you have the budget I would more certainly choose the Mavic Pro. If you have even more of a budget the Mavic Pro 2 / Zoom would be an excellent choice.

I came from the Phantom world and let me tell you walking around with a teenage mutant ninja turtle backpack on just to be able to fly the craft got old super fast.
Thanks for that ; I also like the idea of folding it up . What I am most interested in is the quality of photography. I have a nikon camera with a 150 to 600mm zoom. Last summer I got some nice photos of a very large Brown bear on the other side of a fairly wide river. If I had a drone capable of similar quality pictures I could have had a larger print of the bear.

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! I have the M2P and the P4P, the M2P is by far my favorite because its compact size and it can still deliver a quality product. Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: mereflyer
All I can say is, portability, portability, portability! I liked my Phantom, but will never go back after getting a Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe