DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crash - survived

galfridus

Reactions
When I was waiting for my drone a few years back, I read and appreciated many of the posts here. Now that I have my own (happy so far) crash story, I figured I would share.

WARNING: This is not overly dramatic or exciting. The drone was found immediately. I'm posting an airdata link for anyone who is curious.

I got a drone (Mavic Air 1) after seeing one in use while hiking in New Hampshire. I like taking photos and the possibility to get some unique shots appealed to me. Unfortunately I have not been traveling as much and so have not used it much of late.

(LESSON 1: Don't forget all the stuff you spent so much time learning!)

Before going on the trip, I fired up the drone to make sure everything was updated and ship shape. I renewed my FAA registration, checked that I had the new apps for registering flights (I live within controlled airspace so used to have a lot of conversations with the local tower), and made sure I remembered how everything worked. Oh, and charged all the batteries. :)

Plan A was a flight during a hike to Zealand Falls in the White Mountains. Previously this whole area had been off limits, but the maps I had seemed to indicate it was open now. Unfortunately, they have a 1/4 mile "no land" zone around the hut at the falls. I got some good stuff farther down though. No issues.

(LESSON 2: Just because one flight goes OK doesn't mean the next one will!)

Plan B was a flight over Jackson Falls, which is in the town of Jackson NH. No flight restrictions and easily accessible. I fired up the drone and starting flitting about. I was not planning a short flight so turned on Sport Mode to get places a little more quickly. While I was above tree level that was fine...

I descended to ~10 feet over the creek and flew the drone back toward me, still in Sport Mode. There was nothing in the way, I had line of sight, no problem. I thought it would be cool to fly it past me at speed, so I did.

(LESSON 3: "It would be cool" often leads to uncool things.)

Unfortunately, not too far beyond me the other way was part of the falls themselves, rising up ~4 feet. It was a close call so I figured it would be good to get some height.

Note, the smart thing to do here would be to STOP THE DRONE. But I was just turning around and the drone was at speed, so this became a reflex decision instead of a reasoned one.

Everything would have been fine...if I had not gone down instead of up. Rusty at the controls, I just went the wrong way on the stick. I corrected but it was too late.

Fortunately the drone hit the top ledge rather than the face of the falls. Unfortunately, that meant it bounced toward the water.

Assuming it had gone into the drink, I put the controls down and started looking for it. Extremely luckily for me, it had come to rest upside down just at the edge of the water, in a small puddle. A few minutes later I had crossed over and retrieved it. I immediately powered everything down, dried it off, and let it sit for a week (well, 6 days).

I fired it up briefly today and everything seemed to work, at least at low altitude. Hopefully that remains the case!

Flight data, including a picture of where the crash took place, below.

Reactions: tlswift58
...(LESSON 1: Don't forget all the stuff you spent so much time learning!)
A extended lessons learned ...

Looks like you missed another potential upcoming drama that easily could have made your MA1 drift into the trees nearby & maybe ended up in the water ...

Your GPS reception was very poor occasionally ... with a ATTI period & Navhealth way below 3.

This was just after you had switched over to Sport ... and the area where it happened is squared in orange on the sat pic below.

The yellow star is the recorded HP
The light blue path is the GPS track from your screen device (usually not especially accurate)
The red is the flight path of your MA1
The green bar is your MA1 pointing in a northerly direction (it's here the GPS reception starts to be very poor & further below in the chart I have placed the chart marker in that spot, at 482,2sec into the flight).

1633380418750.png

In below chart you have the Navhealth in red (a measurement of how reliable the flight controller think's that the position is). A HP isn't recorded until the Navhealth goes to 4 of maximum 5 ... for instance.

You also have the sat count in the green graph, & the blue shows the VPS height above obstacles below your MA1.

The blue background color means Sport mode ... the pink means ATTI mode which in turn means no horizontal hold & no auto braking when releasing the sticks... the craft will drift with what ever affecting it, wind for instance.

With such a low Navhealth+ATTI+very low just above streaming water your MA1 could easily have started to drift with the moving water as the VPS sensor had locked on to that moving surface.

Nothing of this happened luckily ... you flew the MA1 into a rock face instead.

Add this to your checklist also ... be aware of the GPS lock, both #satellites & the quality.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1633380643579.png

A extended lessons learned ...

Looks like you missed another potential upcoming drama that easily could have made your MA1 drift into the trees nearby & maybe ended up in the water ...

Your GPS reception was very poor occasionally ... with a ATTI period & Navhealth way below 3.

This was just after you had switched over to Sport ... and the area where it happened is squared in orange on the sat pic below.

The yellow star is the recorded HP
The light blue path is the GPS track from your screen device (usually not especially accurate)
The red is the flight path of your MA1
The green bar is your MA1 pointing in a northerly direction (it's here the GPS reception starts to be very poor & further below in the chart I have placed the chart marker in that spot, at 482,2sec into the flight).

View attachment 135852

In below chart you have the Navhealth in red (a measurement of how reliable the flight controller think's that the position is). A HP isn't recorded until the Navhealth goes to 4 of maximum 5 ... for instance.

You also have the sat count in the green graph, & the blue shows the VPS height above obstacles below your MA1.

The blue background color means Sport mode ... the pink means ATTI mode which in turn means no horizontal hold & no auto braking when releasing the sticks... the craft will drift with what ever affecting it, wind for instance.

With such a low Navhealth+ATTI+very low just above streaming water your MA1 could easily have started to drift with the moving water as the VPS sensor had locked on to that moving surface.

Nothing of this happened luckily ... you flew the MA1 into a rock face instead.

Add this to your checklist also ... be aware of the GPS lock, both #satellites & the quality.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
View attachment 135853
Much of my flying is about same conditions. I don't typically use Sport at all, esp at low altitudes over water. I don't even use Normal, as my reflexes for an old fart just ain't that great.

ATTI scares the bejesus out of me when flying, as I've seen my MA2 do some weird stuff and own it's on; so I know when I do and don't have a GPS lock and flying by the seat of my pants in ATTI. Far more careful in those situations and not quick moves on the sticks.

At least he found his drone and learned another valuable lesson or two. #1 being - never let the drone sit for too long and then expect to be a cowboy on the first couple of flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78