DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into car on Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Let's not start an interrogation here. I'm sure there are dozens of Mavic pilots in the area. It could have been anyone.

No, it's cool and a worthwhile conversation IMHO.

I think we're all accountable for our actions.

I would never fly a drone in Sydney Harbour proper, and certainly not near the Harbour Bridge or Opera House or surrounds.

...as much as I might like to...

People here are simply doing a very poor risk assessment of this (something I've done for a living in past work). To really understand the risk here, imagine as many drones flying around a roadway as cars trying to get "great shots" of those speeding vehicles.
But that's a completely incorrect assessment, in the past 2 or 3 years I probaby saw about a million cars but I only saw one drone - mine, and it didn't hit anything because under intelligent control.
You might as well compare the risk to being hit by a meteor or space debris - probaby about the same.

The camera looks brand new not a scratch LOL not sure about this as Fairfax staff are on strike and the management are running the show SUS

A tin foil hat fell on to my head, and it really seems coincidental that we have Auckland Harbour bridge drone crash being caught on dash cam, then shortly after the Sydney Harbour goes one better with dash cam footage of a Mavic hitting their own car.

There'd seem to be better odds of winning 3 power balls in a row. Bugger all percentage of people use dash cams, and drones aren't raining down on these places or we'd have more "no video" reports. I know it sounds a bit conspiracy-nut, but, it just seems so coincidental.

Reactions: alienwarrior
A tin foil hat fell on to my head, and it really seems coincidental that we have Auckland Harbour bridge drone crash being caught on dash cam, then shortly after the Sydney Harbour goes one better with dash cam footage of a Mavic hitting their own car.

There'd seem to be better odds of winning 3 power balls in a row. Bugger all percentage of people use dash cams, and drones aren't raining down on these places or we'd have more "no video" reports. I know it sounds a bit conspiracy-nut, but, it just seems so coincidental.
Are you seriously suggesting that these events didn't happen?
Are you seriously suggesting that such events aren't likely?
Are you seriously suggesting that this isn't worthy of discussion (as fact) within our community?
Actually, I'm having difficulty working out what it is you're suggesting. Help me out here.

Big place, Sydney Harbour. I've visited the link that you quoted and I fly outside of the restriction zone as per that document.

Pretty amusing, I suppose.

I didn't quote any link. You posted that you were going to fly across Sydney Harbour again. Then you posted and stated that when you said Sydney Harbour again you didn't really mean Sydney Harbour, but actually Middle Harbour. All I did was post that according to CASA, the regulating agency in your country, both Sydney Harbour AND Middle Harbour, among other surrounding areas, were off limits. As I keep saying, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else does as long as you and everyone else stop whining about how the rest of us are ruining things for you when no one's hands are clean. It's such a simple concept but something that for whatever reason doesn't seem to be easily grasped.

Hmm. Take it easy. I appreciated your post and info.
Doesn't alter my opinion regarding illegal flying or my attitude towards those that choose to fly stupidly.
Hope you're having a good evening.
Be well.

Reactions: its2loud and kona
Guy's lets tone it down on this abit .
Thank You

Hmm. Take it easy. I appreciated your post and info.
Doesn't alter my opinion regarding illegal flying or my attitude towards those that choose to fly stupidly.
Hope you're having a good evening.
Be well.

Lol, fear not brother. You don't possess the kind of influence in my life to wind me up. I'm fine. I just don't mince words is all. :)

It's only bizarre if you completely ignore the enormous difference in purpose and use of cars vs. drones.

If you don't deliberately blind your judgement this way, there's nothing odd about it at all.

Works both ways! Got to be open to different views on this. There is no one correct answer to either point meeting made. Irresponsible auto vehicle drivers are a way of life, but they still drive, not sure why we demonize irresponsible UAV operators the way we do in this forum, but show such tolerance for other behaviors in our day to day lives.

Also, wonder if having a dash cam in your car while driving in a public area is frowned upon in the same way as a camera on a UAV!!!

Before the forum goes all "reddit goes for the Boston bombers", there is a lot of space in the harbour, and though the good bits below the heads are in restricted space between sunrise and sunset, flying the harbour could be nowhere near the bridge.
Absolutely. And while people should obey the law, I'll state that this restriction, like many in the US, is far to broad and reaching.

However, my issue is with any moron who thinks flying a drone around traffic on a bridge is defensible in any way. There seem to be several here, the milder species being "they're less deadly than cars, man!", who are just as ignorant, just more polite.

But that's a completely incorrect assessment, in the past 2 or 3 years I probaby saw about a million cars but I only saw one drone - mine, and it didn't hit anything because under intelligent control.
You might as well compare the risk to being hit by a meteor or space debris - probaby about the same.
Your statements in the post above make it clear as crystal you neither comprehend what I was say at all, nor have even a passing understanding of the branch of mathematics called statistics. You're asking that I be open to the "different view" that 2+2=5. I'm not, because 2+2=4, and any other "view" is simply wrong.

Using your logic above, I've never fallen off a cliff, therefore it must not be dangerous to stand on the edge of one.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
If you want the truth of the matter, Drone Haters have done more damage to personal property than drone owners have.
Calif. man must pay $850 in damages after shooting drone

FAA confirms shooting down a drone can lead to a potential 20 year jail sentence | Daily Mail Online

And many people don't realize that just threatening to shoot down a drone can get you 5 years in prison. There's a Federal Law to prove it.

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 6.49.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 6.51.09 AM.png

My point is that drone owners are subject to more criminal acts than the drone hating public. I'm sick of this bad publicity we get.

Last edited:
People need to realise , that droning is a Venture that NEEDS people's support ,Not to feel threatened By its operation, idiots who do this **** need an uppercut , because if it keeps happening ,we will end up having these thing registered AND need to acquire a licensed to simply fly them.
If I saw some Dumb *** flying irresponsibly ,I would let him know in the nicest possible way if ignored ..well ,let's just not go there. This Kit is not just a Toy, it's a Aircraft that could cause death or injury to others ,No doubt about it.
To compare Car accident ratios to drone Accident Ratios is Just ridiculous, FFS , I do believe there will come a time When Droning will be scrutinised even more , The way people are just so Blasé in regards to safety , and then trying to somehow Justify this Knobs flying or risk factor. There is no doubt that A Drone crashing into a windscreen has a high probability of causing A fatal Head-on on the Harbour Bridge anyone who has travelled it or knows Sydney has seen how narrow some lanes are there. Simply put ,it's No place to fly a drone, that trying to compare qty of car accidents to drone accidents would be of little Comfort to anyone's family member affected by severe injury or death
It will however push for a move to Ban "Another Killer near our roads..I mean this could of been a 12 yr old boy/ girl operator for all we know ,.Mavics and other similar Drones ,with range capabilities do need a age restriction warning or at least mandatory training for Immature operators.

Last edited:
Reactions: its2loud
That was reckless to the 15th power. The owner of that drone needs to be reprimanded.

This is inevitable and no law will change or prevent idiots from flying illegally and doing stunts like this...I sure hope the find the jerk, why we are all going to pay for it and these dudes don't give a sh.. because they don't follow law of the land.

Reactions: malepilot
Maybe the drone was malfunctioning as no one in their right mind would try to fly through the Sydney Harbour Bridge... apart from the fact it's right on the edge of a NFZ out to the heads and as a visitor from the UK even I know that !

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22