DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone damage to airplanes?

I know they shoot frozen chicken into the bigger jet engines when testing for damage. It just chops it up and spits it out the back. Smaller planes like Cessna's no doubt would do prop, wing or fuselage damage.

You may want to research that just a tad bit and get the real story about "Frozen Birds" testing . . .

Also here's one of a bird strike (Live Bird not frozen) on a Canadian F-16 trainer aircraft It has been incorrectly identified as an F-16. The aircraft in the video linked is actually a CT-155 Hawk Trainer as correctly pointed out by fellow forum member @MavicFT1P . This Military Training Jet (Combat rated aircraft) is taking a bird ingestion into the engine nacelle. It forced an ejection of the occupants (2 failed relight attempts) and then the crash of the aircraft into a farm/field. For the record, the Instructor and student did everything Text Book perfect but there was no recovering from this one. Here's a detailed write-up of this event:

*Edited to correct description/name of the plane involved in this incident. BigAl07

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
I would think the most dangerous part of the drone would be the battery, its pretty heavy and could possibly explode if struck and shorted.

Reactions: BigAl07
Would that be an ultralight aircraft? No they even fly faster than 13 kts.
I'm sure that was an uncorrected typo on Dragonfly's post ... But even so - 130 kts is not correct. As has been pointed out in posts in this thread, the wing used was from a Mooney 4-seat light aircraft that has a cruising speed of around 200 kts. In other words, not a typical trainer, but definitely in the range of aircraft used for cross-country private flying.

You may want to research that just a tad bit and get the real story about "Frozen Birds" testing . . .

Also here's one of a bird strike (Live Bird not frozen) on a Canadian F-16 trainer aircraft (Combat rated aircraft) taking a bird ingestion into the engine nacelle. It forced an ejection of the occupants (2 failed relight attempts) and then the crash of the aircraft into a farm/field. For the record, the Instructor and student did everything Text Book perfect but there was no recovering from this one.

Sorry to be on of those ppl, but..
Your link is dead, and the aircraft was a BAe Hawk.
It's a small Jet trainer.
I cant see a f-16 being taken down so easily

This is the airplane in the picture :)

Used to fly with a friend in his Aeronca Chief... makes me shudder to think about what would have happened to one of these canvas skinned elders, even at its cruising speed of 126mph.

I cant see a f-16 being taken down so easily

This is the airplane in the picture :)
CT-155.... I hate to be the person that corrects “those ppl” but your off the mark on two counts....

The link does work -and- a CT-155 hawk looks nothing like the aircraft in the video you posted.

Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it can’t happen. F16’s and birds don’t mix well- engine compressor stalls being a more common than might be expected occurrence.

For the record... I went purely by the description of the video uploaded which does seem to be inaccurate .... but it doesn't matter exactly what aircraft... this CT-155 Hawk , a $25M Military training jet was brought down by a bird ingestion.... that's really the bottom line. Let's not get too far off track and derail the topic at hand.

For some people the link won't play directly from the forum but it gives a link directly to YT so you should be able to see the video.

@MavicFT1P that video clip from the James Bond movie is Bede BD-5J not the CT-155 Hawk (which does appear to be the jet in the video I linked).

CT-155 Hawk Trainer#202 <<< Click here
CT155-Hawk-Canada.jpg

BD-5 <<< Click here
450px-Flug_mit_Bede5.jpg

....."The aircraft also appeared in the opening sequence of the James Bond film Octopussy.[1] "
The one used in the James Bond film was the variant called BD-5J (J for Jet).

Here's an article about the exact one used in the movie when it went up for auction in 2015:

But suffice to say that even a fairly robust aircraft can be taken down by something seemingly unsubstantial which SHOULD make all of us realize the risks we are taking when flying in areas, altitudes, and manners we should not.

Last edited:
Lol relax BigAl07. Your "record" speaks for Itself.
Thats why I was poking fun at you :)
The random 007 clip (and it's opening seconds) were to make that much clear

Lol relax BigAl07. Your "record" speaks for Itself.
Thats why I was poking fun at you :)
The random 007 clip (and it's opening seconds) were to make that much clear

No worry bud. I'm just poking back my friend. Hard to get "emotion" (good or bad or neutral) from typed text and I'm guilty of being "to the point" and it coming off as rude. I definitely need to work on that.

I thought it was a wing, at least that is what they lead me to believe.

No that wasn’t aimed at you @Porky but I thought it was necessary to point out that the video was controversial and not scientific. One would have hoped CNBC would have done this but when “news organizations” refuse to do their job somebody has to step up and do it for them.
CNBC - LOL no thanks.

Also here's one of a bird strike (Live Bird not frozen) on a Canadian F-16 trainer aircraft It has been incorrectly identified as an F-16. The aircraft in the video linked is actually a CT-155 Hawk Trainer as correctly pointed out by fellow forum member @MavicFT1P . This Military Training Jet (Combat rated aircraft) is taking a bird ingestion into the engine nacelle. It forced an ejection of the occupants (2 failed relight attempts) and then the crash of the aircraft into a farm/field. For the record, the Instructor and student did everything Text Book perfect but there was no recovering from this one. Here's a detailed write-up of this event:

*Edited to correct description/name of the plane involved in this incident. BigAl07
It says video unavailable.
Here are tests done with birds carcasses:
(around the 1:50 mark)
(around 1:04 mark)

Not everyone fires thawed birds: before switching to fake birds, the U.S. Air Force traditionally launched frozen ones. (Sensitive to the concerns of animal-rights activists, they now fling birds made of clay and plastic at canopies and engines.) The way the Air Force had it figured, if a canopy could survive an impact with a frozen bird, it would certainly live through a chance introduction to one that could still fly under its own power. They further believed cold chickens provided a better simulation of a bird that had tensed to prepare for the impact.

It says video unavailable.
Here are tests done with birds carcasses:
(around the 1:50 mark)
(around 1:04 mark)

Not everyone fires thawed birds: before switching to fake birds, the U.S. Air Force traditionally launched frozen ones. (Sensitive to the concerns of animal-rights activists, they now fling birds made of clay and plastic at canopies and engines.) The way the Air Force had it figured, if a canopy could survive an impact with a frozen bird, it would certainly live through a chance introduction to one that could still fly under its own power. They further believed cold chickens provided a better simulation of a bird that had tensed to prepare for the impact.

Tensed. LoL i like that. Dont they know you should go limp before impact.
The Air Force can do as it likes.
I certainly hope the Airlines arent using anything but chicken. Would suck
for a Airliner to go down because they got the canadian goose Tolerance
wrong to satisfy PITA.

Imo Bird/Bug Strikes, are the bigger risk to Airplanes as that glass breaks and you go blind.
Apparently a b-52 nearly went down after flying through a swarm of Locusts
completely blocking the windscreen.
Landed using Airtower and INstruments (would have been some youtube video)
but it was around 95' i think

Reactions: Tom-Air and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman