DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone did not want to land

zlek131

Reactions
Flew yesterday evening and took some night photos. When landing (manually) I noticed something strange when hovering at 3 feet and holding down the left stick instructing the drone to land. It refused to land. It just sat there, It would start to land by descending an inch or less but then it would bounce back up to the original hovering altitude, looked like small bobble movement over and over again. Only way to land was fly over several feet to the right or left and then land without an issue. This happened on each of my landings (twice), when I switched my batteries and before my second flight, I did a quick landing test and I had no issues, however had the same issue at the end of my second flight. It was dark and obstacle avoidance was not working (automatically disabled itself) hence no alarms of any kind. The parking lot was a little wet as it rained an hour before my flight. The landing light was on both times. Wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar with their Mavic 2 Pro.

Obstacle avoidance (front, rear & sides), may have been off, but 'Landing Protection' may still have been active and not liked something about what it 'saw' beneath the Drone. What 'surface' were you landing on??

Obstacle avoidance (front, rear & sides), may have been off, but 'Landing Protection' may still have been active and not liked something about what it 'saw' beneath the Drone. What 'surface' were you landing on??

Parking lot asphalt that was slightly wet. It landed just fine 10 feet over on the exact same surface.

Strange! The M2P has a set of daylight cameras making a 'Downward Vision System' and also has a separate 'Downward Infrared sensing system' ... Maybe there was something in the IR spectrum that made that piece of ground warmer or colder and made the Mavic wary of it???

Reactions: AMann
Manually landing my Mavic 2, several times I have gotten a warning on GO4 that the landing site was unsuitable. I let go of the left stick when reading the message, then checked the site (it was my ashphalt driveway), but when I pulled down the left stick down, the bird has always landed fine. You may try recalibrating the sensors.

Since I posted this thread I have flown many times with no landing issues until yesterday. I was landing in the dark and the bird did not want to land again. As before, it just kept bopping up and down while hovering 2 feet above ground (concrete) while left stick was pulled all the way down. I flew 10 feet to the right and it landed just fine on the same concrete surface. It's a night thing for sure. Glad I wasn't landing on a "must land here spot". Getting somewhat annoying...

As suggested earlier, disable landing protection (and be aware that it won't slow down on its own on landing anymore, so you have to land properly on your own). It's supposed to "look at" the ground and decide whether it's a suitable landing location, but if it doesn't see squat because it's dark it is pretty likely to mistakenly decide it's not OK and not let you land.

Recently had the same problem with a M2E Dual. Trying to land at night on asphalt that wasn't "wet" but it had rained earlier in the evening. The aircraft stopped about 3ft/1m above the asphalt. Turned the landing light off and it would land. Tried a couple of different places with the same result.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee