DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone flying with Wifi or Satellite

Bodmoore

Reactions
Hi, I am very new to flying a drone and I found that flying my mini2 drone with my phone was fine plus I was often shown twelve or more satellites to help me but I couldn't see my screen, the sun turned it too dark to see, so I tried my Ipad thinking bigger screen better view, sadly no, the screen wasn't clear and I could not find any satellites,so I purchased a Tripltek 8 pro and had a sim card fitted thinking that I would be able to fly with satellite protection if my tablet was also a phone. Am I thinking correctly here?. Anyway the lady who fitted my PAYG sim card turned off my data something or other saying it would deplete my money very quickly if it was turned on. However I have noticed that I do not have any satellites showing, do I need to turn data on and is the satellite system better than flying with Wifi only. Sorry for what might be a very silly question but I do want to be as sure as I can be that I will be able to fly safely and enjoy my new hobby.

The satellite connection is vital for the drone to maintain its position until you the pilot tell it to do something. The drone-GPS connection happens automatically between the drone and the available satellites at your position and time. It has no interactions with the remote controller or the tablet. The drone’s connection with the satellites is measured and computed by the drone, and sent to the remote controller and the tabled for reference.

so I tried my Ipad thinking bigger screen better view, sadly no, the screen wasn't clear and I could not find any satellites
This had nothing to do with the ipad.
The GPS receiver is in your drone and that's the only one that matters.
,so I purchased a Tripltek 8 pro and had a sim card fitted thinking that I would be able to fly with satellite protection if my tablet was also a phone. Am I thinking correctly here?.
No .. you don't need a sim card or internet data for your drone to receive GPS signals from the satellites.
Your drone does need a clear view of most of the sky to be able to receive GPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929