DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone footage protest in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely shocked you would be allowed to fly that close to the Parliament (is that the right word) buildings. If you flew a drone that close to the Capital building there would be serious repercussions.
Normally you can't. The pilot has either gone to a lot of trouble to get permission, or they're flying a hacked drone. Something that the January 6th insurrectors were apparently not smart enough to do.

Normally you can't. The pilot has either gone to a lot of trouble to get permission, or they're flying a hacked drone. Something that the January 6th insurrectors were apparently not smart enough to do.
Actually you don't need a hacked drone to fly there. If it was a DJI drone there is only a "enhanced warning zone"
Lots of other drones don't have geofencing.
I'm sure the RCMP had their hands full with crowd control.
screenshot-www.uavforecast.com-2022.02.05-13_44_53.png

Reactions: basyok and BigAl07
Actually you don't need a hacked drone to fly there. If it was a DJI drone there is only a "enhanced warning zone"
View attachment 143449

CYR537 is restricted class 'F' airspace which is a no-go under any circumstances

The airspace over Parliament Hill is a no-fly zone. Recreational drones are strictly prohibited.

Parliament Hill and the area within a 0.75-mile radius belong to two restricted airspaces (CYR537 and CYR538).
For more information, please consult the Class F Airspace section in the Designated Airspace Handbook.
Before entering RAS CYR537, commercial pilots must consult our procedure and request authorization by submitting an application form to the Parliamentary Protective Service at [email protected].

View attachment 143449
I didn't realize that, it's surprising. I would have thought that DJI would enforce such no fly zones like they do in some other types of no fly zones. I have certainly experienced a situation where my drone bumped up against such a zone and just refused to go there.

So which no fly zones have hard enforcement and which ones don't?

Wondering if the RCMP has even tried to use a drone or whether all the man power is on the ground. Probably wouldn't serve that much purpose with that many people, not going to be able to pick out any detail on any specific person or activity unless there is the social distancing which isn't going to be necessary outdoors.

CYR537 is restricted class 'F' airspace which is a no-go under any circumstances

The airspace over Parliament Hill is a no-fly zone. Recreational drones are strictly prohibited.

Parliament Hill and the area within a 0.75-mile radius belong to two restricted airspaces (CYR537 and CYR538).
For more information, please consult the Class F Airspace section in the Designated Airspace Handbook.
Before entering RAS CYR537, commercial pilots must consult our procedure and request authorization by submitting an application form to the Parliamentary Protective Service at [email protected].
LOL yes but DJI does not stop the idiots from flying there. Just a little more involved to get airborne but anyone can put up a drone there. Talked to a fellow who has all paper work to use a drone in his documentary that he was doing with on the ground and in the air video. Someone came on the night he wanted night video with a Mini 2 and not one RCMP stopped the guy from flying around.
Enforcement is nil so far.

I didn't realize that, it's surprising. I would have thought that DJI would enforce such no fly zones like they do in some other types of no fly zones. I have certainly experienced a situation where my drone bumped up against such a zone and just refused to go there.

So which no fly zones have hard enforcement and which ones don't?
Of course we know that DJI fly zones are quirky.

Reactions: basyok
Videos like this I why we are all labelled as trouble. Definitely a restricted area and many drone rules broken. Common sense would say “don’t fly your drone”. But unfortunately we have people who don’t care! Flying over people and Canada’s Parliament definitely a no no. I wonder if Transport Canada will look into this.

Read in the news this morning, a Canadian judge has ruled protesters stop their protest / border closure at Ambassador Bridge.
Could get serious soon, Trudeau warns "We heard you. It's time to go home now," cautioning that "everything is on the table" for ending the blockades.

Reactions: basyok

They are making a fuss about this bridge and there is another one that isn't blockaded about 5 miles away.

Last edited:

They are making a fuss about this bridge and there is another one that isn't blockaded about 5 miles away.
Meaning that the volume of traffic is being restricted. Still a big problem for the economy.

True, it's becoming apparent that mandates are not really needed after 2 shots, kids are fine with Omicron.
Govco is trying to get more authoritarian control though, this country is going to mandate 3 jabs shortly I'm sure (already have most states for medical staff / nursing homes etc).
Talking about 4th now, really going to be a lot more of the population reacting similarly regarding this soon.
Many other countries have already started, some were already protesting, now others are joining in with their own trucker protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown