DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insuarance and public liability

I am not inclined to advertise or endorse companies on this forum however:

The company that I am with has given me good service and feedback, though I have yet to make a claim from them. I pay about $30 pm for hardware, software etc and $1250 public liability insurance.

From hearsay the one that you are interested in is well respected in Australia, the go to for a few corporate organisations.

Insurance generally:
The cost of insuring your drone (hardware) is minimal and is hardly worth the paperwork for a claim. They will ask you for your complete flight records to ensure that you are flying legally etc.
The big deal is the public liability insurance. I require that in order to apply for some jobs. Goes with the territory. My company allows me to increase this cover for a short period if required.

Caveats:
Understand the regulations and Fly legally at all times.
Understand your situational awareness and respect for your community (and they will respect you in turn).
And, Bob Dylan once said 'To live outside of the law you have got to be honest'.

Attachments

• Rodd Point.JPG
    Rodd Point.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
I submitted my claim to PAI insurance on 23 Nov'23, still in a process - my drone to be accessed, send to the repair, pass flight tests and quality assurance and then get back to me.
The drone fell down from 50m hight on a concrete ground uncontrolled, supposedly to be repaired.
Analysing log files the likelihood of the crash is the failure of 4 cells out of 6, few seconds before the crash.

Last edited:
Here is my story of the experience dealing with an insurance company claiming for damage to a commercial drone.

I am a small business owner. I hold $20M public liability insurance policy and the DJI drone cover for an agreed value with Precision Autonomy Insurance Pty Ltd (PAI). I note that whilst PAI is an insurance company, they are not a member of Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

Like most insurance companies PAI tries to minimise recovery costs for insured items. So, rather than pay me the agreed value for a replacement drone, they proceeded to seek quotations for it to be repaired. It transpired that no assessment company would deal with such as small commercial drone, therefore my damaged drone was dispatched directly to DJI for assessment. Originally, I was not allowed to have any direct contact with DJI. However, once the assessment was completed, and the settlement value agreed, PAI just settled the claim and left me to deal with the repairs myself. In the end DJI made the right call and sent me a replacement drone, however that was not because of the PAI’s efforts or decisions.

Most of my frustration stemmed from the fact that on one hand PIA appears to be severely understaffed (evert attempt to get a progress update took many days), on the other hand they are incredibly hierarchical. When it finally came to the settlement, the pay-out had to go through at least three levels of reviews and approvals. It took 133 days from the claim lodgment for the claim to be settled and, in all, 144 days until I received the replacement drone. PIA also attempted to exclude the GST from the claim. As a result, my losses, as a small business owner, were significant.

Here is the events timeline:

23 November 23 - claim for the crashed RPA (drone) was submitted.

04 December 23 - the assessment company (DJI) received the drone.

09 January 24 - PAI received the repair quotation.

04 April 24 – Settlement transferred into my bank account; I paid DJI directly for the drone to be repaired.

15 April 24 - received replacement drone from DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569