DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance

tca

Reactions
I have seen a number of post on here about Drone insurance........When I went in to pay my yearly home owners policy I asked my agent about Drone insurance and "IF" I was cover under my policy.........this is the letter I got today:

5/1/19

Good Afternoon Mr. & Mrs. Candler,

Thank you for coming in the other day to review your policies and make the renewal payments.

I am following up with a couple of questions that came up. First, about the drone use for recreational, as long as it is “recreational” and nothing appears to have been caused by deliberate actions, then you have some coverage from your personal liability. It is basically the same thing, if you actually shot someone in self-defense. It would be according to the findings and the ruling from the courts. Also, the $1 million umbrella policy pays after your homeowner’s policy.

I hope I have answered the questions, however if you need more info let me know and I will see what I can find out.

Also, I want to thank you for referring Mr. & Mrs. David Rossman. It is my pleasure to provide them with great service and rates.

Lindy S. Hendrix

Licensed Insurance Agent

AAA Lakeland

The Auto Club Group

1457 East Memorial Blvd.

Lakeland, FL 33801

(

That will cover you for liability. Most homeowners and renters insurance will, as long as you abide by the terms of the policy. "as long as it is “recreational” and nothing appears to have been caused by deliberate actions, then you have some coverage from your personal liability."

Reactions: kjcbid54 and NAVMAV
Has anyone experienced an accident to test this coverage?

Thats a good question. To be specific, has anyone crashed their drone into someone or something, and had to use their homeowners (not PAP) policy to settle the liability claim? This is different from drone hull damage.

I do not have an answer yet, but I am working with my State Farm agent in California. I have a general umbrella policy that covers my corp. When formed, had nothing to do with drones, but now looking to add coverage for some work. I'll share what I know when more details come through. I am very interested in this thread, thanks for posting.

I do not have an answer yet, but I am working with my State Farm agent in California. I have a general umbrella policy that covers my corp. When formed, had nothing to do with drones, but now looking to add coverage for some work. I'll share what I know when more details come through. I am very interested in this thread, thanks for posting.
A GL (general liability) policy for a business will differ greatly from the personal liability coverage that is included with a homeowners policy. Personal liability is often broader coverage than a GL. A GL typically has named perils and named exclusions. That does not translate to a personal liability coverage very well. Just wanted to get these facts out there before people start to compare a post that discusses a GL and think the same will apply to a homeowners policy. It's apples and oranges in comparison.

I have renters insurance and live in an apartment building and some how the floor was flooded when I came home. I had just gotten the insurance one ,one,one week a go. PAID. Don't feel bad when something goes wrong with your Drone call your insurance company and get backup in the air.

I have renters insurance and live in an apartment building and some how the floor was flooded when I came home. I had just gotten the insurance one ,one,one week a go. PAID. Don't feel bad when something goes wrong with your Drone call your insurance company and get backup in the air.
You should have the drone listed separately on a personal articles policy though. You are correct that most homeowners/renters policies will cover your personal property in the event of a loss like a flooded floor, but the claim is subject to a deductible, say $250, $500 or even $1000, depending on your policy. A Personal Articles policy will provide coverage for the stated amount and have no deductible, also the perils have broader coverage. For example, a mysterious disappearance(fly away) is not covered as a personal property loss on a renters/HO policy because its not a covered peril, but mysterious disappearance is covered loss on a personal articles policy. Lastly, the OP was bringing attention to liability coverage while flying, not hull coverage for the drone.

Thats a good question. To be specific, has anyone crashed their drone into someone or something, and had to use their homeowners (not PAP) policy to settle the liability claim? This is different from drone hull damage.
I think it's safe to assume no one has filed a claim for liability insurance as there have not been any stories on this or other forums, and every time the question is raised the conversation drifts to hull insurance.

A GL (general liability) policy for a business will differ greatly from the personal liability coverage that is included with a homeowners policy. Personal liability is often broader coverage than a GL. A GL typically has named perils and named exclusions. That does not translate to a personal liability coverage very well. Just wanted to get these facts out there before people start to compare a post that discusses a GL and think the same will apply to a homeowners policy. It's apples and oranges in comparison.
A GL policy does not usually have named perils, that is why it is a "general" liability policy. Having named perils and named exclusions would not make any sense. I'd say that a homeowners or renters policy is going to have more exclusions then a GL policy.

A GL policy does not usually have named perils, that is why it is a "general" liability policy. Having named perils and named exclusions would not make any sense. I'd say that a homeowners or renters policy is going to have more exclusions then a GL policy.
I was over simplifying the description of GL to not stray into a very in depth insurance conversation. To explain GL a little further is the fact that a liability policy for a business is typically rated risk for the scope of the business, if actions take place that are beyond the typical scope of the business, liability could be denied. Such as a landscaping company flying a drone for a commercial purposes. This probably would not be considered a normal scope of the business and would have to be pre-defined before the average GL policy would consider those actions covered. Don't get fooled my thinking that the word "General" means "everything". It does not, it can be more simply defined as "Scope of operations"
With that being said, compared to a homeowners liability, the coverage is broader because most lawful actions that fall under "personal actions" are typically covered by liability. Beyond being personal and not commercial actions, there is no definition of "scope of actions"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidnflagn