DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Labelling.

TheSnowyPilot

Reactions
Is it appropriate to label a battery rather than the actual drone it goes in?

FPV type so you can see it in the back, and nowhere else seems suitable unless I want to wreck the aerodynamics or make a grass magnet.

It has to be visible on the outside of the aircraft.

From the FAA:
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment. "

Find a small label and place it on an arm.

Cheers!

It has to be visible on the outside of the aircraft.

From the FAA:
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment. "

Find a small label and place it on an arm.

Cheers!
He is from the UK and their rules might be different then yours. Its a big world out there and many of us do not live in the US of A.

Is it appropriate to label a battery rather than the actual drone it goes in?

FPV type so you can see it in the back, and nowhere else seems suitable unless I want to wreck the aerodynamics or make a grass magnet.

My registration is on the aircraft itself in case of a crash and the battery is ejected.

The rest of my accessories have my personal contact information because I'd like to have it back if found. :)

Batteries, remote, filters, etc. all get a label.

If a label maker isn't available, a Sharpie permanent marker works well too.

Another great place is the SD card itself.

Put your information on there as a text file in case the stickers wear out if the aircraft has to spend some time in the elements before it's found.

Just don't format the card while it's in the aircraft since that would erase the text file.

Do'h ! ?

So labelling batteries is not going to burn my house down I take it?

I think I might be a millimetre or less off three millimetres, but the text is very legible so hopefully I should be okay on that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
In my head the red addition to my text made it seem like a threat.
I kind of assumed the battery needs all it can get to get rid of excess heat so me putting a label on it might slow that down. Maybe. I have no idea.

Reactions: MA2 317
In my head the red addition to my text made it seem like a threat.
I kind of assumed the battery needs all it can get to get rid of excess heat so me putting a label on it might slow that down. Maybe. I have no idea.

Just highlighting your statement.

You're good to go. ✌️

Someone did in fact manage to burn down a fire station because of drone batteries, no? Or nearly managed.

Someone did in fact manage to burn down a fire station because of drone batteries, no? Or nearly managed.

I'm sure it wasn't because of a sticker.

Unless it's the sticker that states,"Drone batteries on charger, check status often."

I labeled my batteries, 1, 2, & 3, just so I'm not constantly using one battery recharging it and using it again. It allows me to rotate through all of them. Probably a little OCD, but I thought it made sense to do it.
I only tend to use one battery in a flight so to stop using the same one over and over like I was I use them and then wait until I kill all three to charge them.

Reactions: Jafo28
@TheSnowyPilot ,it is acceptable to put a label inside the battery compartment ,as a back up in case the one one the outside of the drone becomes detached ,i would not attach anything to the batteries of the Mini drones ,in case it got jammed inside the drone ,and prevented the battery from being removed
with regards to numbering your batteries it allows you to keep track of their use , and prevents you from using the same one over and over again ,i tend to fly mine in reverse order ,every other time i fly ,so thats 1-2-3-4 in one session then 4-3-2-1 the next time i go out,that way, say i went out with the 4 batteries fully charged ,then due to a change in the weather ,or some other circumstance that only allowed me to fly 3 of them ,till maybe the next day then i would use Number 4 first and so on so i am always using them in sequence ,it works the same if i only want to charge,and fly two batteries of the 4 on a given day i know that next time to use the two other numbers first
i know what you are thinking ,i am being obsessive about my batteries ,but hey it works for me ,and thats all that matters

@TheSnowyPilot ,it is acceptable to put a label inside the battery compartment ,as a back up in case the one one the outside of the drone becomes detached ,i would not attach anything to the batteries of the Mini drones ,in case it got jammed inside the drone ,and prevented the battery from being removed
with regards to numbering your batteries it allows you to keep track of their use , and prevents you from using the same one over and over again ,i tend to fly mine in reverse order ,every other time i fly ,so thats 1-2-3-4 in one session then 4-3-2-1 the next time i go out,that way, say i went out with the 4 batteries fully charged ,then due to a change in the weather ,or some other circumstance that only allowed me to fly 3 of them ,till maybe the next day then i would use Number 4 first and so on so i am always using them in sequence ,it works the same if i only want to charge,and fly two batteries of the 4 on a given day i know that next time to use the two other numbers first
i know what you are thinking ,i am being obsessive about my batteries ,but hey it works for me ,and thats all that matters
I was thinking more along the lines of ‘Old Man Mavic was up late last night.’.

• Haha
Reactions: old man mavic
@TheSnowyPilot ,the benefits of being retired ,your day will come eventually :):):):)

Reactions: orionshooter
I don't think you can be overly cautious with the batteries..especially with the Mini 2..just keep in mind that in US the label must be visible from outside the drone...on the battery is specifically addressed and no longer an accepted means of labeling the drone...I hope that numbering them is not considered to be a sign of an obsessive or compulsive person....because I do it also

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJHind