DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone laws in Florida

It is not state parks that you are not allowed to take off or land from but in fact it is all national parks. You are prohibited from taking off, landing in, and operating from within the boundaries of any national park. You can however, as long as you can maintain VLOS fly over the national park from outside the parks boundaries as long as you are not in a no fly zone or within 5 miles from any airport or helipad. Each County will most likely have their own parks as well and will have their own set of rules so check with the county you will be flying in to make sure drones are allowed in the county parks. If you are within 5 miles from either of those you must first contact air traffic control for the airport or the helipad and inform them of where you will be flying and get authorization. One other thing in order to fly recreationally here in the US you must register your drone with FAA if it weighs between 0.55lbs and 55lbs.
I heard someone say that if you take off/land and catch it in your hand that it would ok.and they could not do anything about it. Any comments? YES OR NO?

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Thank you for your fast reply!
So if I read the map correctly and I understand you correctly I should be able to fly outside the inner blue circle if I stay below 1200ft ?
View media item 971
And if I want to fly within the inner blue circle I will have to contact ATC at Sarasota?

Thanks for the phone number and especially thanks for the tip to visit Mayakka SP ;-)
I'm a little late to the conversation, but I'm pretty sure that there is a helipad close enough to siesta key beach that you will have to notify them that you will be flying

119 meters max alt. limit; that's 400 feet. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, which should not be a problem in Sarasota. You are not allowed to fly in Florida State Parks for some reason. I hate that rule. Funny enough, the law prohibits aircraft from taking off or landing in or from a State Park, but does not prohibit it from flying over! This also shouldn't be too much of a problem in Sarasota, unless you go to Mayakka State Park. Which...you should.

EDIT: There actually is an airport in Sarasota (SRQ). It is Class C airspace. You will need permission from Air Traffic Control to operate within 5 miles of this airport. You can call them at (941) 359-5200 Outside the 5 mile radius, Class C airspace does not being until 1200 ft or 365 meters, for this airport.
The part about Fla State Parks is incorrect...I fly in several State Parks... I check with the Rangers and have never been refused...be safe, fly smart

Don't miss that part where the above post told you to register online as a hobbist pilot with our FAA. It will cost you $5.00.

I understand that most of the above comments were about State and National parks,,but I thought this would be some helpful info concerning Wildlife Mgt. Areas...I would still advise checking in with a ranger just to be on the safe side.

My email question to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission...

I would like to know what the FWC stance is on flying a drone in a Management area. I am familiar with the FAA guidelines concerning drone usage for recreational and professional use in public areas. I also understand that some county and city parks allow flights under certain conditions. My questions are, While following all FAA regulations and/or other specific location related regulations and concern for wildlife, Am I allowed to fly for recreational photography and video in Management Areas. If there are some areas that allow flight and others dont, is there a way to find this out? My interests would be in the Brevard and Osceola County Florida areas. Thank you for any information you can provide...

Their response...

Thank you for contacting FWC.

There is nothing that prohibits you from using a drone at our WMA's but however we ask that you be considerate of other hunters. Also, you cannot harass wildlife with these devices.

Thank you and have a great day.

Cheryl Pinkerton

Wildlife and Habitat Management

Cool. I was informed by park crew that all Tampa city parks are 'no fly zones'. They're concerned about lawsuits. I don't know how true it was. She correctly indicated flying from the university across the river was another matter.

I'm trying to find a spot to fly from and fly along the hillsborough river, preferably somewhere scenic.

Reactions: Beau
I understand that most of the above comments were about State and National parks,,but I thought this would be some helpful info concerning Wildlife Mgt. Areas...I would still advise checking in with a ranger just to be on the safe side.

My email question to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission...

I would like to know what the FWC stance is on flying a drone in a Management area. I am familiar with the FAA guidelines concerning drone usage for recreational and professional use in public areas. I also understand that some county and city parks allow flights under certain conditions. My questions are, While following all FAA regulations and/or other specific location related regulations and concern for wildlife, Am I allowed to fly for recreational photography and video in Management Areas. If there are some areas that allow flight and others dont, is there a way to find this out? My interests would be in the Brevard and Osceola County Florida areas. Thank you for any information you can provide...

Their response...

Thank you for contacting FWC.

There is nothing that prohibits you from using a drone at our WMA's but however we ask that you be considerate of other hunters. Also, you cannot harass wildlife with these devices.

Thank you and have a great day.

Cheryl Pinkerton

Wildlife and Habitat Management
Has to be the most "positive"thing I've read for drone drivers in a long time...thanx...be safe, fly smart

The flying situations in FL (like many other places) has been changing so much that even the people that police many areas (including Park Rangers) don't actually know what they're rules are, I say this because I used to fly over Jupiter Inlet FL. (from DuBois Park and Jupiter Inlet Park) a lot and the FIRST thing I did (over a years ago) before flying there the 1st time was walk up to a Sheriff that was parked there and ask if it was OK and he said yes it's fine...
So after flying there MANY times (and was on friendly basis with the Park Rangers as well), I finally had two Park Rangers I had never seen before come up to me (on a very busy with people weekend) and tell me they weren't sure if it was OK to fly there or not (but they didn't give me a hard time because they saw that I was "flying responsibly" IE taking off and immediately going out over the water, not flying over people). Anyway, she ended up calling her supervisor to find out if it was OK and was told yes it's OK...
Also telling this story because I HAVE seen people fly there that obviously have NO CLUE that it's NOT OK to fly over people, so IMO it's only going to be a matter of time before those people are going to ruin it for everyone :(
Another side-note that the PBCSO had they're Bad-Azz drone there one time (on the beach) when I wanted to fly, so I walked over to let them know I was there and wanted to fly.
They were nice to me and appreciative that I came over to let them know where I was going to be flying, but they wouldn't let me take pictures of they're drone...lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: Beau
Hi Everyone,

So I emailed the Florida State Parks to get the official stance, as I'm off to Florida in April. Here is the response . . . .

Thank you for your interest in visiting Florida’s state parks. Unfortunately, launching and/or landing a drone is prohibited within Florida State Parks except in very rare circumstances. The portion of the Florida Administrative Code which governs the operation of Florida State Parks, Chapt. 62D-2.014, says:

(15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause any such apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property.

The Florida Park Service Operations Manual was recently updated to clarify this regulation in light of growing interest in drone usage:

21. Use of Aircraft
a. Definitions
Aircraft: Any machine supported for flight in the air by buoyancy or by the dynamic action of air on its surfaces, such as gliders, balloons, parachutes,drones, powered airplanes, helicopters, unmanned aircraft systems or other aerial apparatus.

b. Use of Aircraft
No person operating or responsible for an aircraft shall cause any such apparatus to take off from or land in any park, except when the aircraft is either authorized by the Park Manager or needed in an emergency in which human life is endangered. The Park Manager may authorize the use of aircraft when the flight is beneficial to the Division.

An example of “beneficial to the Division” recently was when drones were used to gather “bird’s eye view” footage of the post-Hurricane Michael damage to multiple Northwest Florida state parks, which assisted in the development of park recovery planning. In instances where it is determined that the services of a drone are required by the Florida Park Service management, management will seek out a commercial drone operator as necessary. Please let me know if I can provide any further information regarding this matter.

SO I guess that's a big fat "NO !"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ