DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone laws in Hawaii

Cmeflydrone

Reactions
Specifically Maui. Will be visiting in November and if there is anybody who regularly flies on Maui I would appreciate any tips. Where it’s legal, where not? I am sure there are many good places but any place that really stands out? Hana highway stops? Thanks in advance.

Hi @Cmeflydrone, I flew four times in Maui this week, using both DJI Geo Zone map and AirMap to identify restricted and warning zones. The key restriction is to be out of the Kahului airport zones, but that still leaves a lot of fun scenic places. Haleakala National Park and state parks are off-limits, of course, as well as some natural reserves along the coastline.

Specifically, I flew in Kihei (Kalama Park), Makena, La Perouse (outside of the natural reserve), and McGregor Point light near Maalea. I didn't venture on Hana Highway or over to West Maui.

SkyPixel video: McGregor Point Light, Maui

SkyPixel video: Little Beach, Makena

Thank you, great info!

Just left Maui yesterday. All state parks are off limits and usually have a sign showing that no drone flying is allowed. There are a few places that are owned by the state, but aren’t necessarily a park. I didn’t see a sign at those, so I flew. Great stop on the road to Hana is Keanae which is a little town on the coast just off the road to Hana. Its on a little peninsula with great views and lava rock beaches. I took some really nice video and stills there. Wish I would have though to put my ND filter on to get some cotton candy shots of the waves smashing against the lava rocks. Beware of high winds! Enjoy your trip. Maui is beautiful.

Beware of high winds!

No kidding, I almost didn't fly by McGregor Point due to wind, but decided to give it a shot, very carefully. Got wind warnings but the MPP flew rock solid, over the ocean, by the cliffs, even up by the (wind!) turbines. What DJI sorcery is this??

That said, I could easily tell how much wind affected speed, e.g. a much slower return to home, so definitely something to be extra cautious with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro