DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Laws in Southern Ontario (Toronto Area)

Hey friends,
I have been posting a few articles to give a review of Drone flying laws in the Greater Toronto Area.
Please hit me up and let me know what you think!

lookingtofly.ca

Thanks!
Interesting read and a great effort....I typically fly north east of Markham in rural areas and in and around hiking trails throughout the Durham forest. Above all, I stay away from the public as per the rules. When spring arrives I fly in cottage country east of Parry Sound and sites in between Markham and the cottage.

Reactions: FraserLW
Hey friends,
I have been posting a few articles to give a review of Drone flying laws in the Greater Toronto Area.

lookingtofly.ca

Thanks!

Good job Nick. For the Marsh area in Mississauga, I realize there's a by-law in effect, however what are your thoughts if you take off outside of the Marsh zone and fly over it? And of course land outside of Marsh zone? I personally haven't tried it at that particular conservation area but I have done it at other conservation areas and have been spoken to by the conservation officers and they really couldn't do anything in the matter since I was launching and landing outside of their jurisdiction. I have been asked politely before to stop by 1 conservation officer, which I did, but most of them couldn't care. Keep in mind most of the conservation areas I have done it in have their own policies not a municipal by-law, hence the inquiry what your thoughts are?

Last edited:
Interesting read and a great effort....I typically fly north east of Markham in rural areas and in and around hiking trails throughout the Durham forest. Above all, I stay away from the public as per the rules. When spring arrives I fly in cottage country east of Parry Sound and sites in between Markham and the cottage.

Yea, I'm looking at writing about Markham soonish. they are one of the few cities that allow flying in parks (more on that as I write the article)

Thanks for reading :) always looking for feedback.

Good job Nick. For the Marsh area in Mississauga, I realize there's a by-law in effect, however what are your thoughts if you take off outside of the Marsh zone and fly over it? And of course land outside of Marsh zone? I personally haven't tried it at that particular conservation area but I have done it at other conservation areas and have been spoken to by the conservation officers and they really couldn't do anything in the matter since I was launching and landing outside of their jurisdiction. I have been asked politely before to stop by 1 conservation officer, which I did, but most of them couldn't care. Keep in mind most of the conservation areas I have done it in have their own policies not a municipal by-law, hence the inquiry what your thoughts are?

Thanks!

It is true (so far as I know right now) that municipalities basically have no control over air rights. Good on you for being a good person when asked to stop, I don't know that others always will.

Conservation Areas also have similar laws as municipalities, they can't legislate in federal airspace.
Conservation authorities are under a provincial law, which allows for private entities to create and manage conservation areas. however being private land, I'm not supposed that you spoke with a conservation officer rather than a police officer.

Thanks for reading! :)

Thanks!

It is true (so far as I know right now) that municipalities basically have no control over air rights. Good on you for being a good person when asked to stop, I don't know that others always will.

Conservation Areas also have similar laws as municipalities, they can't legislate in federal airspace.
Conservation authorities are under a provincial law, which allows for private entities to create and manage conservation areas. however being private land, I'm not supposed that you spoke with a conservation officer rather than a police officer.

Thanks for reading! :)

Thanks for the additional information. I have bookmarked your website and will keep an eye on it on new articles, etc.

On a side note: I do always try and launch on public land. I have made mistakes a couple of times where I thought it was public but it wasn’t. Land owners/conservation officers are usually understandable if you explain yourself. Old saying “treat others how you would like to be treated” is a good rule to go by. Knowing the law always helps as well :)

Reactions: EricJT
Hey friends,

lookingtofly.ca

Thanks!
Thanks. Read your articles. Could you tell me if it is legal to fly in conservation reserve in Richmond Hill? I can take off and land outside the the conservation area. But can I fly my spark over the trails (not over people) and the wooded area?

Hey so I am new to this with my Mavic 2 pro, I have my basic certificate and am getting my advanced. I am still a little confused on finding the right spot to fly my drone even outside of the GTA. Where have you been able to go and are you able to obtain any permits if needed?

Hey so I am new to this with my Mavic 2 pro, I have my basic certificate and am getting my advanced. I am still a little confused on finding the right spot to fly my drone even outside of the GTA. Where have you been able to go and are you able to obtain any permits if needed?
When I typically fly, I find a rural area that catches my eye from a scenery and composition perspective. I then look for a safe place to pull over and park, and then launch from the roadside....the rural side roads and concession roads I am on are not heavily travelled so very infrequent interaction with the public.

No permits involved other than my basic certificate although I have unlocked the no fly zone around the Markham municipal airport accepting responsibility for flying safely.

When I typically fly, I find a rural area that catches my eye from a scenery and composition perspective. I then look for a safe place to pull over and park, and then launch from the roadside....the rural side roads and concession roads I am on are not heavily travelled so very infrequent interaction with the public.

No permits involved other than my basic certificate although I have unlocked the no fly zone around the Markham municipal airport accepting responsibility for flying safely.
That’s awesome thank you! I have been wondering about this and can not find any laws saying I can’t take off and land on a side road. I’ll be sure to give this a try soon! Thank you!??

That’s awesome thank you! I have been wondering about this and can not find any laws saying I can’t take off and land on a side road. I’ll be sure to give this a try soon! Thank you!??
BTW, I do launch from as far from the road itself as possible, keeping in mind overhead phone/power cables.

I also ensure when flying I am not between my car and approaching traffic. Studies have shown at times drivers unconsciously steer where they may be looking at a roadside item of interest.

Be fully aware of your surroundings before you take off, as once you are airborne most of your attention is focussed on your AC & RC.

BTW, I do launch from as far from the road itself as possible, keeping in mind overhead phone/power cables.

I also ensure when flying I am not between my car and approaching traffic. Studies have shown at times drivers unconsciously steer where they may be looking at a roadside item of interest.

Be fully aware of your surroundings before you take off, as once you are airborne most of your attention is focussed on your AC & RC.
Yeah good point, may I ask what is an example of keeping far away from the road? Do you find a parking lot or empty field? I don’t want to get hit because I’m flying my drone ?

Yeah good point, may I ask what is an example of keeping far away from the road? Do you find a parking lot or empty field? I don’t want to get hit because I’m flying my drone ?
Many country roads have flat areas beyond the shoulder of the road. Where I fly a lot it is a mix of forest and farmers' fields....the fields usually have an access point for the tractors that I walk down 5-10 yards. In over 2 years no issues just a few curious farmers with many questions about my M2P.

Many country roads have flat areas beyond the shoulder of the road. Where I fly a lot it is a mix of forest and farmers' fields....the fields usually have an access point for the tractors that I walk down 5-10 yards. In over 2 years no issues just a few curious farmers with many questions about my M2P.
Thanks for the tip!!!? dispute reading about posts of people getting angry at drone pilots down in the states, I feel more people are slowly taking interest and finding the hobby pretty cool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman