DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Lighting And Registration

DSR

Reactions
I have just received my DJI Mini two days ago and was very excited. It looks like a toy, but does everything! I just purchased a Lume Cube for night lighting, which weighs 11 grams, and put the drone over the 250 gram weight limit that would require registration. Does anybody have any suggestions of what to do? Register or not register with the possibility of getting fined? I would only use it when flying at night.

Register the drone. It takes 10 minutes and $5. What would make you hesitate?

In addition to the strobe you may find you'll want to add leg extensions and perhaps a lens hood or and ND filter, plus some velcro. IMO, with the Mini and Mini 2 leg extensions are essential as you cannot launch from even the shortest of grass or weeds or land in grass without turning your Mini into a weed whacker. So don't worry about registration and you won't have to worry about breaching 250 grams. My Mini 2 and formerly Mini1 ran (and runs) closer to 300 grams. IMO the 250 gram cutoff is silly as the extra 50 grams/1.5 ounces can make the drone safer.

As far as use of the Lume Cube (or other strobe) I suggest you figure out a way to mount it on the bottom (without blocking the vents) and use it even in daylight. The strobe will increase your ability to see it from 400' (which is nothing) to 1600' so you can stay compliant with VLOS at longer distances.

Register the drone. It takes 10 minutes and $5. What would make you hesitate?

In addition to the strobe you may find you'll want to add leg extensions and perhaps a lens hood or and ND filter, plus some velcro. IMO, with the Mini and Mini 2 leg extensions are essential as you cannot launch from even the shortest of grass or weeds or land in grass without turning your Mini into a weed whacker. So don't worry about registration and you won't have to worry about breaching 250 grams. My Mini 2 and formerly Mini1 ran (and runs) closer to 300 grams. IMO the 250 gram cutoff is silly as the extra 50 grams/1.5 ounces can make the drone safer.

As far as use of the Lume Cube (or other strobe) I suggest you figure out a way to mount it on the bottom (without blocking the vents) and use it even in daylight. The strobe will increase your ability to see it from 400' (which is nothing) to 1600' so you can stay compliant with VLOS at longer distances.
Thanks for the info vindibona1. Just found a Youtube video with a Mini2 owner weighing his drone, and it comes out to 236 grams and the cube weighing 11 grams, so he was ok.

Don't want anything to do with the government. I retired from the government, and it was a multi year headache.

Reactions: justincase
Thanks for the info vindibona1. Just found a Youtube video with a Mini2 owner weighing his drone, and it comes out to 236 grams and the cube weighing 11 grams, so he was ok.

Don't want anything to do with the government. I retired from the government, and it was a multi year headache.
I'm not very fond of government over-regulation myself, but registration is pretty innocuous and will save you larger potential headaches. Just do it.

Also... If you hadn't gotten the information, you are now required to take the "Trust" informational test and carry that certificate with you when you fly. While nobody keeps records of the test or certificate, eventually you'll end up do that anyway. It's like "The Borg"... You will be assimilated. So just go register.

And, even though the Trust Exam is required (even for Part 107 certified pilots) and some folks will want to resist, as a new pilot I highly recommend you go through that process too. It will make sure that you're aware of the "UAV rules of the sky".

As a Mini 2 owner I agree with all that's been said. I registered my drone early on. As mentioned, it's easy. Also, as said, take the TRUST exam (not really an exam, just a review of things you should know). Happy flying.
I finally registered, but took the Trust exam last week. Kind of easy after passing the part 107 exam!

I finally registered, but took the Trust exam last week. Kind of easy after passing the part 107 exam!
I ended up registering the drone, taking the Trust exam, passing the recurrent part 107, and buying the Lume lighting system. At least it's still tiny, but just as loud as the regular drones!

Reactions: ZenMatt

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake