DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Maintenance.

Sneak

Reactions
Is there anything i should do to make sure my drone stays healthy? Like what should I look for on the motors? Probably not good to run it full blast all the time. I just wanna know what i should be looking out for so I can keep it flying for as long as possible. Like smoothness of the spinning of the props, no ruff turning etc. I have the mini 2.

Other than keep the props out of damage, avoid collisions and the most important, never run the batteries below 10% and keep then without charge for more than 24 hours. The batteries are an expensive part and if you treat them good they will last years trouble free.

The drone do not require too much maintenance as long as you keep them clean, in a good case out of dust or elements. They will last years.

I never fly at full (sport mode) all the time but they are made for that if that is your question. Motor last years. Long years as long as they are not involved in crashes, dirt or other elements.

I always carry a can of air with to blow out the motors and joints, not too close, just enough to move any particles.
Regards
Not always practical, (especially out in the field) but I prefer to use suction rather than air pressure if things get real dirty. Too much pressure can push dirt into tight areas. Us air pressure lightly. Those little vacuum nozzles with the fine soft brush on the end for cleaning computer innards works pretty well. Obviously you need to be home to do that, but for regular maintenance works good ;-)

Just keep an eye on the cables that get twisted each time the legs are extended and retracted. Any sign of cracking of the insulation can lead to big problems. This might be more relevant in very cold conditions.

Other wise clean the camera lenses and filters occasionally. Also after flights ensure the camera transport clamps are properly mounted to prevent gimbal damage.

A ribbon glued or taped to the Gimbal covers will remind you to remove them before touching that on switch.

In the 5 years or so I have owned my MP1, no other maintenance has been needed. I still fly mine every week.

Reactions: FLDave
Just keep an eye on the cables that get twisted each time the legs are extended and retracted. Any sign of cracking of the insulation can lead to big problems. This might be more relevant in very cold conditions.

Other wise clean the camera lenses and filters occasionally. Also after flights ensure the camera transport clamps are properly mounted to prevent gimbal damage.

A ribbon glued or taped to the Gimbal covers will remind you to remove them before touching that on switch.

In the 5 years or so I have owned my MP1, no other maintenance has been needed. I still fly mine every week.
I never thought of the ribbon or yarn attached to the gimbal cover; it's such a simple idea--like airplanes with their streams to remove or check items before takeoff.

yeah ive done that a few times already. Hit the on button with the cover on and it gets a little stuck.

Reactions: mereflyer
As mereflyer has already mentioned, fabricate a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon and attach it to the gimbal cover... Since the Gimbal is probably the most delicate component of the Drone, I recommend you install it first and remove it last whenever you are handling the Drone (changing the battery, etc...) and especially if you are showing the Drone to someone. You would be surprised how many folk will "pluck" it to see it move. Finally, when you getting ready for a flight, remove it after you've opened the legs... Then, remove the cover, turn your Drone on, let do it's self test, then set the Drone down. When you have adequate satellites, lift off, 1 to 1.5 meters, just float there a moment, get the Return to Home updated, perform a few movements, up/down, left/right, yaw...Then, when you know the Drone is responding correctly, then Go Droning....

As mereflyer has already mentioned, fabricate a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon and attach it to the gimbal cover... Since the Gimbal is probably the most delicate component of the Drone, I recommend you install it first and remove it last whenever you are handling the Drone (changing the battery, etc...) and especially if you are showing the Drone to someone. You would be surprised how many folk will "pluck" it to see it move. Finally, when you getting ready for a flight, remove it after you've opened the legs... Then, remove the cover, turn your Drone on, let do it's self test, then set the Drone down. When you have adequate satellites, lift off, 1 to 1.5 meters, just float there a moment, get the Return to Home updated, perform a few movements, up/down, left/right, yaw...Then, when you know the Drone is responding correctly, then Go Droning....
I agree with your general procedure. I treat it like the procedures for a light plane - walkaround inspection, check the fuel (battery charge), remove any covers or plugs, then do a run up and test the controls before launching into your mission. With a plane, you test the controls on the ground, but with a drone you need to be hovering a few inches to do that, but it's the same idea. Also, I make sure I have sufficient GPS locks to get a solid RTH, and then hover again a few feet up (whatever's recommended) to let the drone get a snapshot for a precision landing.

I'd add two items before leaving the takeoff hover.

Ensure that the compass orientation shown on the phone/tablet is correct.

Check the battery level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sneak
I have this list that you might find helpful: DJI Drone Maintenance
Why would you suggest recalibrating the IMU, compass, and Gimbal every 100 flights?
If they are working properly, recalibrating won't make them work any better.
And if there was a problem, you'd know it anyway.

Why would you suggest recalibrating the IMU, compass, and Gimbal every 100 flights?
If they are working properly, recalibrating won't make them work any better.
And if there was a problem, you'd know it anyway.
It is a suggestion by DJI that I saw in multiple instances, it doesn't hurt to calibrate once in a while. IMU probably isn't necessary (I will remove it from the list now), but I would calibrate compass and gimbal. There are some people I know that calibrate the compass before every flight, I don't do that, but I calibrate every time I'm in a different location, it wouldn't hurt the drone anyway.

There are some people I know that calibrate the compass before every flight
Yes ... they are the people that have no idea what compass calibration actually does
I don't do that, but I calibrate every time I'm in a different location
Then you also don't understand what compass calibration actually does.
It has nothing to with where you are or how far you are from where you last flew.

Read the first post in this thread to find out:

Reactions: DoomMeister
... IMU probably isn't necessary (I will remove it from the list now), but I would calibrate compass and gimbal. There are some people I know that calibrate the compass before every flight, I don't do that, but I calibrate every time I'm in a different location...
As a compass calibration only measure the mag.field from the drone itself the location you fly in will have zero influence. A compass calibration is only useful if you attach or take off equipment that can affect the mag.field from the drone.

And a gimbal calibration can be of use if the horizon isn't leveled or if the gimbal misbehaves in some way ... if all is good, then the gimbal works as it should & no calibration is needed.

... you can remove these 2 from the list also.

Reactions: Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming