DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DRONE NOOB

AIRWOLF-A567W

Reactions
hi, im a new drone flyer with just two flights since yesterday but due to go again later today. been watching lots of youtube stuff on this fcc hack and yagis but wondering does it work? yesterday, my mavic mini cut out connection at 150 metres high but did get a good distance of 400 metres in urban area with height of 70 metres. Obviously i have a lot to learn, so any info would be greatful, thanks

yesterday, my mavic mini cut out connection at 150 metres high

It’s worth familiarising yourself with the national drone regulations to ensure you’re flying safely and legally: UK Drone Laws: Where Can I Fly? | HELIGUY.com™

For example, your flight to a height of 150m was illegal as you’re restricted to a maximum of 120m. Also, there are further regulations about flying close to buildings and over built-up areas. Incidentally, 400m range in an urban area isn’t bad but remember that you can only fly it legally as far away as you can see it with the naked eye, unaided (except for glasses).

It’s worth getting the DroneAssist and UAV Forecast apps. DroneAssist shows you any flight restrictions in your area and UAV Forecast will give you a reasonable idea of the wind at different heights. The inability to fly home against the wind is probably the biggest single cause of lost Minis.

Last edited:
welcome to the forum
you should read the drone code and fly legally there are stiff penalties for none compliance as well as the possibility of having your drone confiscated ,if caught

wow, thanks for the replies and valuable info. i be sure to check it all out. im about to head to the coast to a place called ogmore by sea to capture some pictures and vids of the cliffs there. very open space and checked for power lines. i doubt i will go 150 metres again as i lost signal for around nearly a minute and thought i lost it. now got drone assist installed plus uav forecast. so i take it, if i added something to the drone which took me over 249 grams, then i have to register it? thanks again

so i take it, if i added something to the drone which took me over 249 grams, then i have to register it?

Yes. Adding the prop guards, for example, will push the Mini over 250g so will require a Flyer ID and an Operator ID to use it legally. Look here: Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority

They’re both worth getting and only cost the price of a couple of beers! Stricter regulations have been introduced in the past few years and many of these are almost certainly as a result of people flying their drones recklessly. Sadly, there are still plenty of drone flyers who think that the regulations are optional and that they should just be allowed to do whatever they want with their drone. They’re the ones who are ultimately making it more restrictive for the rest of us.

I’d also recommend putting your contact details somewhere easily visible on your drone to help recover it if you do have a problem which stops you easily locating it.

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the replies and valuable info. i be sure to check it all out. im about to head to the coast to a place called ogmore by sea to capture some pictures and vids of the cliffs there. very open space and checked for power lines. i doubt i will go 150 metres again as i lost signal for around nearly a minute and thought i lost it. now got drone assist installed plus uav forecast. so i take it, if i added something to the drone which took me over 249 grams, then i have to register it? thanks again
I think what your compatriots are telling you is:

The UK and EU rules have many similarities. For example, the maximum height at which drones can be flown is 120m. As other have suggested, you must read the rules of your country and area. It is important that each and every one of us shows concern and obeys the law because it reflects on all of us.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new but got 3 hours flying time on the clock now and getting more confident. Don't make the mistake of trying to go to high and too far, the mini isn't really made for that. My advice is pick your subjects for filming carefully and get your take off position as close as you can. In urban areas the wifi channels in the 2.4 ghz range are often red and range is very hit and miss so don't expect consistent range.As you fly more you will lose the nerves and get more confident. Happy flying :)

Hi and welcome. Just in case you were wondering, the 120m height above ground restriction is critical, but it is the height above the terrain that the drone is flying over, so for example, if you were walking uphill while flying your drone, and your new height was 30m above the take off point, you might see your drone app saying 150m, even though it is only 120m above you and the new terrain height. Hope that's clear. It's important you don't break the rules for yourself and others. There's plenty of fun detectors out there. The other up side to registering with the CAA, is you can get a card with your flyer and operator ID on, and become a "registered CAA Drone Pilot" a good line to use when confronted by whingers.

Welcome to our forum, from Texas, USA (one of your former colonies)!

You'll find that Mini almost flies itself. This can lead to overconfidence. Try to be conservative at first, and expand your horizons gradually. The Mini, at only 249 grams, doesn't handle wind as well as the heavier drones do. On windy days--you get those in the UK--, it's best to fly the Mini so that you have a tail wind on the way back.

Read your manual, and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait 'til that happens to try to learn under stress in less than ideal conditions. We have several fellow Brits among our membership, and over 120,000 more from around the world who will help you learn your new hobby. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad you've joined us!

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

Reactions: old man mavic
It’s worth familiarising yourself with the national drone regulations to ensure you’re flying safely and legally: UK Drone Laws: Where Can I Fly? | HELIGUY.com™

For example, your flight to a height of 150m was illegal as you’re restricted to a maximum of 120m. Also, there are further regulations about flying close to buildings and over built-up areas. Incidentally, 400m range in an urban area isn’t bad but remember that you can only fly it legally as far away as you can see it with the naked eye, unaided (except for glasses).

It’s worth getting the DroneAssist and UAV Forecast apps. DroneAssist shows you any flight restrictions in your area and UAV Forecast will give you a reasonable idea of the wind at different heights. The inability to fly home against the wind is probably the biggest single cause of lost Minis.

I am not wanting to be petty here but after 5 months of flying I just this past Thursday changed my altitude max from 120 meters to 122 meters which is exactly 400 feet 3 inches. My zoom gave me a warning that I might be in violation and had to agree to that height before I could move on. At max height now my drone records the height at 396 feet. In no way am I trying to skirt the rule but I really was going for exactly 400 feet. Has anyone else done this?

WDK

I am not wanting to be petty here but after 5 months of flying I just this past Thursday changed my altitude max from 120 meters to 122 meters which is exactly 400 feet 3 inches.

Did that really make any significant difference to the operation of the drone? Unless you needed to clear a 394ft (120m) obstacle which you couldn't fly around, what did it achieve?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Did that really make any significant difference to the operation of the drone? Unless you needed to clear a 394ft (120m) obstacle which you couldn't fly around, what did it achieve?

I was not looking for a significant difference, I was looking for 400 feet on the nose just for me. It appears my drone has a variance in its altimeter as in on one flight is it going to be 396 feet at 122 meters or at 123 meters will it be 403 feet or somewhere in the middle which I will be looking to find out.

WDK

Reactions: Hauptmann
wow, am learning so much with the replies. sadly, when i went out last, was to windy at 18mph winds and 25mph gusts but had fly earlier with some yagis on and i got much better signal in urban area height wise. at around 29 to 35 metres height, i would get warning signal very week but when i put yagis on, i was able to get to 60 metres in my area plus when i got to around 300 metres distance, which i could still see, it was less choppy on video feed. im getting more confident but i be using it mostly to take photos of some urbex locations, castles and gower peninsuala. now ive added accessories which have taken me over the limit, so i be sorting out licence this week to do my stuff legally

hi, im a new drone flyer with just two flights since yesterday but due to go again later today. been watching lots of youtube stuff on this fcc hack and yagis but wondering does it work? yesterday, my mavic mini cut out connection at 150 metres high but did get a good distance of 400 metres in urban area with height of 70 metres. Obviously i have a lot to learn, so any info would be greatful, thanks
Always fly w/n the rules. Here in canada the maximum is only 120 meters. I fly a mini. Enjoy

Reactions: AIRWOLF-A567W
In no way am I trying to skirt the rule but I really was going for exactly 400 feet. Has anyone else done this?

WDK

I tweaked my height until I got it to exactly 400' just because I could legally do so. I wish we could key in the values, it's a major hassle trying to get it to an exact figure with the slider.

mikeg

I tweaked my height until I got it to exactly 400' just because I could legally do so. I wish we could key in the values, it's a major hassle trying to get it to an exact figure with the slider.

mikeg

With my zoom and the DJIGO4 app I can set the exact value though again 122 meters gets me 396 feet but I have not been back out to try 123 meters yet.

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw