DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on Cruises?

Would be a great idea if we could have a thread, which states, which Cruise Companies have a Drones Allowed Policy, and which ones definitely don't allow them.
And also Airlines as well !
Just a thought ?.
We always seem to get similar questions on all our Forums, would be nice to have a dedicated area for travellers

I said there is no reason why they should ban them if they are holding them for ports of call only. Obviously I wouldn't fly it on the ship or want anyone else flying them on the ship, but going to the point where I can't bring my personal camera to the islands with me where the ship has no jurisdiction is beyond ridiculous.

I can see the cruise line company's issues - and it's not just about on board safety. It could well be about the cruise line business as a whole. That means they well know that there's a growing backlash against Cruise ships from the locals - this is particularly true of Venice, Dubrovnik, and Barcelona where they are being swamped by tens of thousands of day trippers from the five or six cruise ships visiting each day, if not more, each now carrying upwards of four thousand passengers - now, it isn't going to exactly help their industry if everyone starts arriving with drones is it? Even 1% could easily become an issue, even in places like Norway where dozens of them flying around, .

On the plus side, my own view is that drones will become a lot cheaper, quieter and lighter as time goes on so making them more acceptable. Lets remember our mobile or cell phones were like bricks in the 90's, and one day we'll all probably be laughing at the noisy bricks we flew back in todays world.

Another issue I can see for cruise lines is the charging of batteries. Again, looking at it from their point of view, they need to minimise the risk of fire and prone to fire or not, it is an issue for them. My view is there are battery chargers they probably shouldn't be permitting on board - indeed, some phones are also on their prohibited list. Now, my workaround this is to take sufficient number of charged batteries but in the real world, of course many won't and it might just be a matter of time before a fire breaks out through the charging of all sorts of batteries and a fire far out at sea is not going to do the cruise ship industry any favours so again, they'll want to minimise that.

On the other hand, there's no stopping drones - I myself, don't think there should be a blanket ban but secure rooms where they can be stowed away and taken off ship at ports of call but another problem is that ships take upwards of ten years from design to taking on passengers and are then built to last thirty years and more with this sort of technology driving ahead, way beyond their expectations in the space of ten years such rooms have not been built in which means passengers get told to keep them in their cabins and warned that if they take it ashore then they may well have to leave it there if they wish to get back on the ship - and with that, they promptly go and fly them from their balconies risking the safety of fellow passengers.

A solution I'm considering is to just make do with a Tello - very light but capable of getting a little footage. Not the same as a Mavic or Phantom but better than nothing - and if they take that, well, its no major loss.

Carnival Cruises is fine with having them aboard to use AT PORT. Do not try to fly them on the ship, it will cause a negative response. Besides, the drone compass will not work because of the massive hull of the vessel, which makes it screwy in many flight modes.

If anyone asks, just say it is an Aerial Camera Platform. I also put a printed copy of the cruise line's drone policy in my drone bag just in case.

It’s not a personal camera. I get the argument and don’t agree with the cruiselines also but trying to say “it’s just a personal camera” is not correct in my opinion. It’s a flying device, drone quadcopter, UAV etc with a camera attached. I get why they don’t want them on board, imagine the hassle when one smashes a passenger and the legal hassle they’ll go through over it. If i owned the cruise line they’d also be banned, or whoever brings one would be signing a legal agreement that if one smashes someone you’re at fault not the business
Nope it's a personal camera ' that can be flown if one should desire to do so . Any DJI drone can be used as a hand held gimbled camera so technically it's a personal camera.

I just sailed with NCL back in March on a short 3 day cruise and didn’t even realize that they had a policy on drones.

With that said, I managed to successfully bring my Air on board fully assembled along with the main companion accessories.

My guess was the fact that it was so compact from the folding position that security must have mistaken it for a battery pack or a supreme brick.

I will be sailing NCL again on a lengthier cruise in August, hopefully the wind won’t hinder me from flying this time around. I plan on packing the same way with perhaps a camera lens close by to help avoid any garnered attention.

i called carnival and they said that i cant have a drone that has a detached camera. They said is because of US customs. Why?? Any tips? How to get around this? I have a 3dr solo and dont want it confiscated. Im going on a 4 day cruise from long beach on carnival inspiration.

i called carnival and they said that i cant have a drone that has a detached camera. They said is because of US customs. Why?? Any tips? How to get around this? I have a 3dr solo and dont want it confiscated. Im going on a 4 day cruise from long beach on carnival inspiration.

pending the cruse line, and where the ports of call are. you can kiss it good by permanently. maybe even get kicked off the ship. with no refund.
they are company bound, and bound by the laws in the port of call.
but as a privet company while on there ship. you must live with there rules or just go away.
so check the laws for the ports of call, as well as the ships rules, and there company policy's.

Bury it among your big Camera Gear, and in the Camera Bag, my bet is they do not even notice it !.
I have been on and off Cruise ships for the last 18 months, with my Mavic Pro, never once was stopped at the Ships X Ray point (they only X Ray for you bringing Booze on board, more often than not !).
Just take props off and put somewhere else on your person, and also batteries (put the USB Charging bit on the battery, and say it is your Portable Phone Charger) stick your remote somewhere else.
If asked about your drone, (your reply) "It's my Stabilised Camera"
Once you have your drone on board (assuming you get it onboard!), you can casually walk off with it at each port ! (you are not X Rayed going off the ship, only when getting back on board.
What's the most they can do, lock it up in the pursers office until the next port.
They are duty bound to let you have it at each port of call (besides, it is your property!)
so you can fly it ashore.
UNDER NO ACCOUNT WILL YOU BE ABLE TO FLY ON THE SHIP !
(Unless your Wife is bed partners with the Captain for a few nights!)
I even had The Maitre D of the Ship approach me, as he and another Senior Officer both had Drones on board !

I just got off a cruise on the Princess lines....we were doing a cruise of the Hawaian islands. I had my Mavic 2 Zoom. I was planning to only use it while off ship and on the islands...well I went through security’s X-ray. There policy is no drones. Well they took the drone away and said that I would get it back at the end of the cruise. I didn’t even have an option of taking it from security when we go ashore. They kept it till the end of the cruise. No drone pics or vids!! So, if you want to take a chance and get through the X-ray every time, good luck. The most is the take it and get it back after the cruise. It all boils down to is that a few rotten eggs ruin it for the rest.....good luck.