DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on Cruises?

jstefanop

Reactions
So Im going on a Norwegian cruise this weekend, and was excited to bring my drone and take some cool shots down in the caribbean (at the islands not on the ship), and just realized in the fine print that they have a no drone policy.

This sounds like BS to me, I understand if they don't want people flying drones around the cruise ship, but this is my personal camera that I want to bring and take shots during the stay on the islands, there is no reason why they should deny me brining a drone onboard that I will fly off ship.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have an air, so its pretty easy to hide so hoping I can just sneak it on board and use it when I get on the islands (checked regulations at the islands as well and don't see anything that would prohibit me from flying it there).

So Im going on a Norwegian cruise this weekend, and was excited to bring my drone and take some cool shots down in the caribbean (at the islands not on the ship), and just realized in the fine print that they have a no drone policy.

This sounds like BS to me, I understand if they don't want people flying drones around the cruise ship, but this is my personal camera that I want to bring and take shots during the stay on the islands, there is no reason why they should deny me brining a drone onboard that I will fly off ship.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have an air, so its pretty easy to hide so hoping I can just sneak it on board and use it when I get on the islands (checked regulations at the islands as well and don't see anything that would prohibit me from flying it there).
Bury it among your big Camera Gear, and in the Camera Bag, my bet is they do not even notice it !.
I have been on and off Cruise ships for the last 18 months, with my Mavic Pro, never once was stopped at the Ships X Ray point (they only X Ray for you bringing Booze on board, more often than not !).
Just take props off and put somewhere else on your person, and also batteries (put the USB Charging bit on the battery, and say it is your Portable Phone Charger) stick your remote somewhere else.
If asked about your drone, (your reply) "It's my Stabilised Camera"
Once you have your drone on board (assuming you get it onboard!), you can casually walk off with it at each port ! (you are not X Rayed going off the ship, only when getting back on board.
What's the most they can do, lock it up in the pursers office until the next port.
They are duty bound to let you have it at each port of call (besides, it is your property!)
so you can fly it ashore.
UNDER NO ACCOUNT WILL YOU BE ABLE TO FLY ON THE SHIP !
(Unless your Wife is bed partners with the Captain for a few nights!)
I even had The Maitre D of the Ship approach me, as he and another Senior Officer both had Drones on board !

Last edited:
Search the forum. This topics covered like every other week. Depends on what cruise line you go on and there’s been varying results. Some don’t care, some have zero tolerance.

By The Way, What Cruise line is it?.
You will love Norway !, so many open spaces to fly.
I flew everywhere I had the chance, they are very drone friendly over there, from my own personal experience of Norway.
See my other posts, for examples.
Or watch my Youtube Experiences
Christopher Baker

I have a Princess cruise to the British Isles in June. The fine print states they will confiscate it and destroy it with other prohibited items.
I would really love to take mine but I'm very hesitant to take it.

No reason? There are plenty of reasons. For one, they don't want people being ******** and buzzing around while on the ship. It's likely banned because people were being idiots and/or disregarding laws, and you get to pay because other people are stupid.

No reason? There are plenty of reasons. For one, they don't want people being ******** and buzzing around while on the ship. It's likely banned because people were being idiots and/or disregarding laws, and you get to pay because other people are stupid.

I said there is no reason why they should ban them if they are holding them for ports of call only. Obviously I wouldn't fly it on the ship or want anyone else flying them on the ship, but going to the point where I can't bring my personal camera to the islands with me where the ship has no jurisdiction is beyond ridiculous.

I said there is no reason why they should ban them if they are holding them for ports of call only. Obviously I wouldn't fly it on the ship or want anyone else flying them on the ship, but going to the point where I can't bring my personal camera to the islands with me where the ship has no jurisdiction is beyond ridiculous.

It’s not a personal camera. I get the argument and don’t agree with the cruiselines also but trying to say “it’s just a personal camera” is not correct in my opinion. It’s a flying device, drone quadcopter, UAV etc with a camera attached. I get why they don’t want them on board, imagine the hassle when one smashes a passenger and the legal hassle they’ll go through over it. If i owned the cruise line they’d also be banned, or whoever brings one would be signing a legal agreement that if one smashes someone you’re at fault not the business

Reactions: okieflyr
It’s not a personal camera. I get the argument and don’t agree with the cruiselines also but trying to say “it’s just a personal camera” is not correct in my opinion. It’s a flying device, drone quadcopter, UAV etc with a camera attached. I get why they don’t want them on board, imagine the hassle when one smashes a passenger and the legal hassle they’ll go through over it. If i owned the cruise line they’d also be banned, or whoever brings one would be signing a legal agreement that if one smashes someone you’re at fault not the business

Almost every other cruise line has a check in policy for drones...ie you hand them over to security, and can only take it when going off ship, which is total reasonable.

Either way I'm taking my Air, since this is the reason I bought it in the first place. Highly doubt they will be able to find it in the x-ray anyway with it fully folded and props taken out. And if they do ill just argue that its a hand held gyro stabilized 4k camera. Worst case they take it away until I get back.

Reactions: Ceejay
FYI had no issues with the drone, security personal had no idea what they were looking at when it was folded and its little "Glasses case." Only one time was I questioned boarding the ship and I was just asked "how many cameras do you have in your bag" lol.

The Air is definitely the best travel drone to date.

Two cruises with MP and two with MA....no issues carried on and off in my back pack. Be smart and do your research for each port you visit, some islands vary. Follow the rules we all fly by and you’ll be fine. Biggest challenges I’ve run into in Caribbean is flying in windy conditions some time, be smart and enjoy!

Two cruises with MP and two with MA....no issues carried on and off in my back pack. Be smart and do your research for each port you visit, some islands vary. Follow the rules we all fly by and you’ll be fine. Biggest challenges I’ve run into in Caribbean is flying in windy conditions some time, be smart and enjoy!

Yea I could only fly it on one day, rest of the days were like 20+ MPH winds.

Reactions: Ceejay
Yea I could only fly it on one day, rest of the days were like 20+ MPH winds.
Glad you had no issues with getting your drone on board, I have heard a whisper that "Royal Caribbean" have re-thought their drone policy.
I agree with the wind (from my personal experience)
Hence they call it the Windy "West Indies" !.
Superb place to fly though ,if you get the chance.
But, definitely check each Islands Drone Policy, do not assume you can fly, or, you could fall foul of the Law.

Last edited:

Thanks for asking this question because in August I'm doing exactly the same thing, going to Norway on a cruise and whilst there are things I can appreciate from the Cruise company's point of view, like people not acting responsibly either on shore or maybe on land, with drones I consider their putting drones on their prohibited items list excessive. Norway is prime drone territory. PnO by any chance? I'd love to know how you get on.

I'd say take it. Worst they'll do is confiscate it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise or tell you to keep it in your cabin, advising you that if you take it ashore, you might not be permitted back on board, or at least not with the drone. If you're lucky, they'll at least let you go ashore with it but they won't steal it so take it. They won't arrest you or stop you boarding or force you to leave it back here.

I have a Princess cruise to the British Isles in June. The fine print states they will confiscate it and destroy it with other prohibited items.
I would really love to take mine but I'm very hesitant to take it.
I doubt they'd destroy it. Not theirs to destroy nor is it an illegal item to own. Not like taking knives on aircraft which you won't see again but that's the law, no sharp instruments are permitted on board.

I doubt they'd destroy it. Not theirs to destroy nor is it an illegal item to own. Not like taking knives on aircraft which you won't see again but that's the law, no sharp instruments are permitted on board.
Na, they will not destroy it, least they will do is take it to the SeaCo Office (the on board Security) and tell you that you been a bad boy !.
Better still, ask them how many of the Crew have drones on board !, several I would suspect !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc