DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone registration uk

So what about people coming to the U.K. on holiday? How do they get “registered”?

Only easa licenced aerodromes will be subject to 1km ruling. Farm strips Little airfields etc won’t be subject to them.
Just to clarify a little:-

Aerodromes fall within the scope of EASA if they meet all of the following requirements:

Open to public use and which serve commercial air transport and where operations using instrument approach or departure procedures are provided, and:

(a) have a paved runway of 800 metres or above; or
(b) exclusively serve helicopters.

The CAA has compiled a list of UK licensed aerodromes that currently fall within the scope of EASA.

A little more context would help here

Fighter jet 'almost hit' police drone

Drone was @ 90m, Jet at 150m so they were flying in their own respective airspace. What was the jet doing that low is anyones guess but any drone pilot with even a shred of common sense would keep a drone out of manned aircrafts way. I think pilots of manned aircraft have been flying illegally too low for some time now and perhaps they need to be held accountable just like a drone pilot would en-roaching in their airspace.
If memory serves me correctly (I've been out of the service since the early 90s), military jet aircraft may fly legally as low as 500ft AGL and military piston engined aircraft as low as 250ft AGL.

Microlights can fly much lower, so long as they are not close to buildings, groups of people, etc. They certainly can 'intersect' flights of drones and the like (as a microlight pilot, RC jet models in particular have often worried me -- although something like a Mavic would be fine if not on my landing path).

Hooray. I started a discussion that got in the weekly email. But forgot I started it.... so have a bit of catching up to do

What is the penalty for not registering?
I've been flying for over 4 years and only ever had one crash due to an error caused by magnetic interference with my early P2.

Are the rogues going to register too or is it going to be just the law abiding fraternity as per bloody usual paying up and doing all the running around?
What do I get by registering? Nothing - just my name on yet another list somewhere!

The same argument applied to the gun pistol lobby in the UK where hand pistols were banned after some called "Hamilton" described as "an oddball -- a loner obsessed with guns and young boys, someone who didn't fit into society", was granted a permit BY THE LOCAL POLICE to hold the same pistols that he committed the crimes with! The police were clearly to blame for this crime, not the gun owners whom were are still are being penalised for this police incompetence.

Hamilton was reported to have held a grudge against the Scouting movement and his local community, after police questioned him about inappropriate behavior to boys in his care.
Raymond Reid, secretary of a local shooting club that rejected Hamilton for membership, described him as "sleazy."
"He was just one of these people that you got a gut feeling about ... didn't like -- or at least I didn't particularly like him," Reid said. Nevertheless, Hamilton held a permit to own handguns granted by the local police - idiots!

This new registration system is pathetic, because only the responsible law abiding, non-airport drone flyers will register. So, I ask again, what do we get and what happens if we don't register?

I already have third party insurance up to £25million - I am a responsible person, but I hate schemes like this, because they just do not work and I challenge anyone on here to tell me why they will make a difference.

I already have third party insurance up to £25million - I am a responsible person, but I hate schemes like this, because they just do not work and I challenge anyone on here to tell me why they will make a difference.

Not much point in challenging the choir here :). Challenge the CAA: I did that on the issue of CE-approved radios, and they listened and changes were made. Please engage with them and work with them -- for all of us -- and make a difference.

What is the penalty for not registering?
I've been flying for over 4 years and only ever had one crash due to an error caused by magnetic interference with my early P2.

Are the rogues going to register too or is it going to be just the law abiding fraternity as per bloody usual paying up and doing all the running around?
What do I get by registering? Nothing - just my name on yet another list somewhere!

The same argument applied to the gun pistol lobby in the UK where hand pistols were banned after some called "Hamilton" described as "an oddball -- a loner obsessed with guns and young boys, someone who didn't fit into society", was granted a permit BY THE LOCAL POLICE to hold the same pistols that he committed the crimes with! The police were clearly to blame for this crime, not the gun owners whom were are still are being penalised for this police incompetence.

Hamilton was reported to have held a grudge against the Scouting movement and his local community, after police questioned him about inappropriate behavior to boys in his care.
Raymond Reid, secretary of a local shooting club that rejected Hamilton for membership, described him as "sleazy."
"He was just one of these people that you got a gut feeling about ... didn't like -- or at least I didn't particularly like him," Reid said. Nevertheless, Hamilton held a permit to own handguns granted by the local police - idiots!

This new registration system is pathetic, because only the responsible law abiding, non-airport drone flyers will register. So, I ask again, what do we get and what happens if we don't register?

That's a little like saying what do you get by passing your driving test and getting your driving licence... What does your licence get you?
So with your drone, I think it's more a case of your drone will be stuck in beginner mode if you don't register, and hopefully the majority of idiots that don't register will only get their 30 metre altitude and distance..

I am not against these rules, not in the least, but how many of the irresponsible users out there will take the least bit of notice. The problem here is those that don't follow the rules will end up leading to more imposition on those of us using them safely and correctly.

A bit like the insured driver paying for the uninsured ones.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I am not against these rules, not in the least, but how many of the irresponsible users out there will take the least bit of notice. The problem here is those that don't follow the rules will end up leading to more imposition on those of us using them safely and correctly.

A bit like the insured driver paying for the uninsured ones.
The only difference is hopefully the unregistered will have thier drones stuck in beginner mode wiht limted height and distance..... But then again, nothing to stop them using alias emails to get it registered......

Map of aerodromes, airfields and landing grounds in Europe

Hard to find many areas near me anyway. As soon as you are a mile away from one, you start encroaching on another. And yes, drones are a dangerous toy in the wrong hands. Did you see in the news where the police drone nearly got took out by a jet at 300 feet? I can see us having to announce our flight plans soon like all aircraft.
Helpful thank you!

I suggest that all UK drone pilots look at the CAA website with particular regard to the regulations which came into force on 30th July 2018. Also look at the regulations which will come into force in November 2018 when all drones of more than 250gm will have to register on line and take a safety test or face fines of up to £1,000. This comes into effect on 30th November 2018. DJI Mavic Pro weighs 734 grams.

I suggest that all UK drone pilots look at the CAA website with particular regard to the regulations which came into force on 30th July 2018. Also look at the regulations which will come into force in November 2018 when all drones of more than 250gm will have to register on line and take a safety test or face fines of up to £1,000. This comes into effect on 30th November 2018. DJI Mavic Pro weighs 734 grams.

Drones are quite autonomous in some respects, but I'm awed by the suggestion that they are now capable to register online ... and take a safety test.

My drone isn't going to be able to do that by then, I'm sure :).
I just read the original post and fortunatly it states the 'drone pilots' are the ones that have to pass the test, not the drone.
I'm glad that's cleared up!

Reactions: mfc
Please can you post a link to where it says the registration laws come into force on 30th November 2018? Can't see that anywhere on the CAA website, and as no registration or safety tests exist at this point it seems unlikely that it would be possible in time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots