DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone registration uk

There is no definite date (Nov 2019 or any other date) for implementation of testing/registration though. I think they are still working out how they would do it.

There is no definite date (Nov 2019 or any other date) for implementation of testing/registration though. I think they are still working out how they would do it.
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure it won't be 2018 for registration

The CAA have made it clear they will be implementing the next steps in Nov 2019:
Page 2 states:
Effective from 30 November 2019:
ƒA requirement for the registration of SUA operators

ƒA requirement for the competency of remote pilots to be tested

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1687-SUAANOAmendmentOrder-3.pdf

It's hopefully way easier than some think. The DJI app already forces registration of the app and pilot via email entry into the app before it releases beginner mode; this can easily be expanded. And the app also now requires you to complete a little in-app safety quiz; again, easily expanded.
The government have made it clear they're looking to the drone manufacturers to implement flight restrictions via apps, so presumably this will include registration and safety training. It could also expand the use of the NATS app from air traffic control, which could do the same thing.

Ian

Reactions: InvisibleName
Thanks for the link, for some reason I had not found that, so 30 Nov 2019 it is then. Still seems quite near for something which is going to require a lot of new systems to be created.

So do you think it will just be a simple online registration and quiz like the current DJI one? Won't they need to issue some sort of documentation so you can prove that you have registered / passed the test if challenged? And let's hope if there is a fee it's a more a sensible amount than the current PfCO fee.

Thanks for the link, for some reason I had not found that, so 30 Nov 2019 it is then. Still seems quite near for something which is going to require a lot of new systems to be created.

So do you think it will just be a simple online registration and quiz like the current DJI one? Won't they need to issue some sort of documentation so you can prove that you have registered / passed the test if challenged? And let's hope if there is a fee it's a more a sensible amount than the current PfCO fee.
I can't see anyone ever challenging you....but it could easily match the US registration system where you get a printable number you have to stick into the drone. But realistically, it's in everyone's interest to make this as simple to achieve as possible. The CAA and Police have got better things to do than chasing after a drone that's flying at 40mph cross country from some guy 3 miles away. But having it all handled electronically has all ready been proven by DJI's app that won't release the drone from the 30m beginner mode restrictions.
Cheers
Ian

Well I can't see anyone challenging you either, but if the thing is never enforced by checking then is there any point in it? Or will it just be a case of post-incident checking of whether rules were being followed. I'm sure DJI would get on board but would the other smaller manufacturers?

Well I can't see anyone challenging you either, but if the thing is never enforced by checking then is there any point in it? Or will it just be a case of post-incident checking of whether rules were being followed. I'm sure DJI would get on board but would the other smaller manufacturers?
That's the advantage of making it app-based. No one really needs to check if the drone won't fly properly without it. I think all the mainsteam manufacturers will be onboard. The smaller manufacturers tend to be making much smaller drones; the AIr is 450 grams; anything under 250 grams won't be caught up in these rules anyway....
Either way, be interesting to see what happens and I'm keeping an eye out for updates.
Cheers

Ian in London

The CAA have made it clear they will be implementing the next steps in Nov 2019:
Page 2 states:
Effective from 30 November 2019:
ƒA requirement for the registration of SUA operators

ƒA requirement for the competency of remote pilots to be tested

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1687-SUAANOAmendmentOrder-3.pdf

It's hopefully way easier than some think. The DJI app already forces registration of the app and pilot via email entry into the app before it releases beginner mode; this can easily be expanded. And the app also now requires you to complete a little in-app safety quiz; again, easily expanded.
The government have made it clear they're looking to the drone manufacturers to implement flight restrictions via apps, so presumably this will include registration and safety training. It could also expand the use of the NATS app from air traffic control, which could do the same thing.

Ian
Ian, thanks for stepping and clarifying this!

Reactions: Ian in London
4. a restriction from flying drones within 1km of protected aerodromes in the UK, unless you have the permission of the Air Traffic Control unit in question.

Small aerodromes are everywhere in the UK. Pretty much the whole of the UK will be a no fly zone
I am just under a mile from local airport but still get no fly warningAnd need a token to take off

I am just under a mile from local airport but still get no fly warningAnd need a token to take off
There's CAA rules, and then there's also the DJI No Fly Zone that is programmed into the app; that's what's affecting you I'm guessing..... Ian

I appreciate that this my be unpopular but ( MOD REMOVED )the government. I'm not paying anything, answering any questions or registering my quadcopter. Period.
I'm not kowtowing to the great sky stasi because of some perceived threat that isn't the threat it's being made out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Thwyllo
I appreciate that this my be unpopular but f*** the government. I'm not paying anything, answering any questions or registering my quadcopter. Period.
I'm not kowtowing to the great sky stasi because of some perceived threat that isn't the threat it's being made out to be.

Umm, this has nothing to do with the 'government'; the rules are laid down by permanent institutions (the CAA in this case) which will remain exactly as they are regardless of which politicians are 'in power' and therefore form 'the government'. The CAA folk are mostly well-meaning, ex-RAF in many cases, believe everything (even civilian aviation) should be run by military rules, and you have to make allowances for that.

Umm, this has nothing to do with the 'government'; the rules are laid down by permanent institutions (the CAA in this case) which will remain exactly as they are regardless of which politicians are 'in power' and therefore form 'the government'. The CAA folk are mostly well-meaning, ex-RAF in many cases, believe everything (even civilian aviation) should be run by military rules, and you have to make allowances for that.

It's a set of officious jobsworths with nothing better to do than lobby to have these "laws" or "acts" instigated which invariably cost the tax payer MORE money.
They, in the meantime can present doctored evidence to secure their continued "usefulness", much like the climate change brigade.
Do you seriously believe that the criminal use of quadcopters / drones such as dropping drugs into jail, flying where they shouldn't or any other nefarious purposes will stop just because some "authority" decrees that now, every other law abiding user has to hand over personal info and money?
No, the industry is perfectly capable of self regulation but the powers that be cannot bear to let the public police themselves.

It's a set of officious jobsworths with nothing better to do than lobby to have these "laws" or "acts" instigated which invariably cost the tax payer MORE money.
They, in the meantime can present doctored evidence to secure their continued "usefulness", much like the climate change brigade.
Do you seriously believe that the criminal use of quadcopters / drones such as dropping drugs into jail, flying where they shouldn't or any other nefarious purposes will stop just because some "authority" decrees that now, every other law abiding user has to hand over personal info and money?
No, the industry is perfectly capable of self regulation but the powers that be cannot bear to let the public police themselves.

I was trying to be helpful because I've dealt with CAA and the like in the past. You seem to just want to make an argument and you lost me with the irrelevant 'climate change' comment. Perhaps you should troll somewhere else.

I was trying to be helpful because I've dealt with CAA and the like in the past. You seem to just want to make an argument and you lost me with the irrelevant 'climate change' comment. Perhaps you should troll somewhere else.

Ahh, I see. So a view in opposistion to your own and that makes me a troll?
May I suggest you look up the word "troll" in an online context.
Just because I don't like the idea of enforced regulation.
And here, read this:
UK drone collision study didn't show airliner window penetration
Falsifying data to achieve their own agenda. Ala the (man made) climate change brigade.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka