DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Scanner NOW WORKING!!!

Went to a club field (SPMRC, Ham Lake, MN) to intentionally have multiple Android devices scan and locate my Air 2S with latest firmware, broadcasting Remote ID. IOS devices never saw the Air 2 S, even at distances as close at 50 feet where I would expect Bluetooth to work, at least minimally. Two Android tablets with Drone Scanner installed scanned for the drone. One never saw it al all. The other said that there was a drone broadcasting, but never specified a location for either the drone Or the pilot.

At this point, we may be looking as differences not only between Android devices, but also versions of Android. At this point I think the indignation of the “Karen APP” working with the Remote ID of a drone to be pretty much a non-event. We can’t see it when we want to.

Happy to discuss this with all of you.

Dale

At this point, we may be looking as differences not only between Android devices, but also versions of Android. At this point I think the indignation of the “Karen APP” working with the Remote ID of a drone to be pretty much a non-event. We can’t see it when we want to.
I agree, and there's not any market for people willing to pay for such an app, so the testing, development, and debug necessary to get it to work under a wide range of conditions and aircraft simply will not be bothered with.

Went to a club field (SPMRC, Ham Lake, MN) to intentionally have multiple Android devices scan and locate my Air 2S with latest firmware, broadcasting Remote ID. IOS devices never saw the Air 2 S, even at distances as close at 50 feet where I would expect Bluetooth to work, at least minimally. Two Android tablets with Drone Scanner installed scanned for the drone. One never saw it al all. The other said that there was a drone broadcasting, but never specified a location for either the drone Or the pilot.

Happy to discuss this with all of you.

Dale
Karen apps won't have much of a chance with crapples. Crapples only work with crapple certified devices. It may not be android version rather the capability of the bluetooth and wifi hardware on your device to pick up remote ID broadcasts.

It's June 17th and I just downloaded Dronetag's DRONE SCANNER app.
My Mavic 3 Classic is RID compliant, but it doesn't show up on the app.
Drone Scanner says it has scanned for Blue Tooth AND Wi-Fi- and says
that there are "0" ZERO drones around.
I see the the GPS map on the app is accurate.... I see my location dead center on screen.
My drone is 50 feet away and 80 feet AGL.... but not recognized.
Are the drones not transmitting RID signals yet?
Is Drone Scanner not fully active???
Anybody have any current info on this topic?

Update.... I got the app to work.

It is working all too well! It spotted my drone doing a hyperlapse, it gave me Serial Number, Mac. Address
Signal Strength, First seen (20 sec ago), Last seen, Messages (4) ... unsure of what that means, Distance from App user, Altitude, Horizontal speed.
I then tapped on 'Follow aircraft' and it showed on a map the drone's position, direction (heading) just like the DJI RC controller map, and gave a distance count down until landing stating the drone is 3 meters away! Kinda' Scarry.
App was not working yesterday, but 'mobilehomer' mentioned there may be a switch to turn scanning on,
so I poked around 3 different pages in 'settings' (blindly) and turned on anything that looked related.
Maybe I triggered something but I am TOTALLY ON THE RADAR NOW!
The settings I tinkered with were in the app.... not the controller.
Unsure of what I did, but the Drone Scanner by Dronetag is doing what it claims it would.
So, anyone scanning my drone would be able to track me down within a couple of meters
of my launch / landing spot. Even if I relocated after launch, they can follow the map
and follow that blue line to my landing location.
All info on the phone app was easy to read and understand by whoever would use the app.
One good thing is says "UNKNOWN OPERATOR" but my serial number was correct.
I also clicked on 'Export Data" was able to email ALL INFO collected by the app....
Copied and Pasted below for you to see (Mac address and Serial number altered for my privacy)

mac address
60:60:1f:17
Location Message,MessageSource.WifiBeacon
status,heightType,direction,speedHori,speedVert,droneLat,droneLon,altitudePressure,altitudeGeodetic,height,horizontalAccuracy,verticalAccuracy,baroAccuracy,speedAccuracy,timestamp,timeAccuracy
AircraftStatus.Airborne,HeightType.Takeoff,361.0,0.0,0.0,33.575012199999996,-117.72602839999999,-1000.0,164.0,63.5,HorizontalAccuracy.meters_10,VerticalAccuracy.meters_25,VerticalAccuracy.Unknown,SpeedAccuracy.Unknown,1969-12-31 16:00:02.712,1.0
BasicId Message,MessageSource.WifiBeacon
idType,uaType,uasId
IdType.Serial_Number,UaType.Helicopter_or_Multirotor,1581F67PB2298
System Data Message,MessageSource.WifiBeacon
operatorLocationType,classificationType,operatorLatitude,operatorLongitude,areaCount,areaRadius,areaCeiling,areaFloor,category,classValue,operatorAltitudeGeo,systemTimestamp
OperatorLocationType.LiveGNSS,ClassificationType.Undeclared,33.5716477,-117.728279,1,0,-1000.0,-1000.0,AircraftCategory.Undeclared,AircraftClass.Undeclared,102.5,2023-06-18 14:04:33.174
mac address
60:60:1f:17:b0:99
status,heightType,direction,speedHori,speedVert,droneLat,droneLon,altitudePressure,altitudeGeodetic,height,horizontalAccuracy,verticalAccuracy,baroAccuracy,speedAccuracy,timestamp,timeAccuracy
AircraftStatus.Airborne,HeightType.Takeoff,361.0,0.0,0.0,33.575012199999996,-117.72602839999999,-1000.0,164.0,63.5,HorizontalAccuracy.meters_10,VerticalAccuracy.meters_25,VerticalAccuracy.Unknown,SpeedAccuracy.Unknown,1969-12-31 16:00:02.712,1.0
idType,uaType,uasId
IdType.Serial_Number,UaType.Helicopter_or_Multirotor,1581F67PB22
operatorLocationType,classificationType,operatorLatitude,operatorLongitude,areaCount,areaRadius,areaCeiling,areaFloor,category,classValue,operatorAltitudeGeo,systemTimestamp
OperatorLocationType.LiveGNSS,ClassificationType.Undeclared,33.5716477,-117.728279,1,0,-1000.0,-1000.0,AircraftCategory.Undeclared,AircraftClass.Undeclared,102.5,2023-06-18 14:04:33.174
mac address
AircraftStatus.Airborne,HeightType.Takeoff,361.0,0.0,0.0,33.571659,-117.72825619999999,-1000.0,102.0,2.0,HorizontalAccuracy.meters_10,VerticalAccuracy.meters_25,VerticalAccuracy.Unknown,SpeedAccuracy.Unknown,1969-12-31 16:00:04.011,1.0
idType,uaType,uasId
IdType.Serial_Number,UaType.Helicopter_or_Multirotor,1581F67PB229
OperatorLocationType.LiveGNSS,ClassificationType.Undeclared,33.571637599999995,-117.7282786,1,0,-1000.0,-1000.0,AircraftCategory.Undeclared,AircraftClass.Undeclared,103.0,2023-06-18 14:06:42.971
mac address
AircraftStatus.Airborne,HeightType.Takeoff,361.0,0.0,0.0,33.571659,-117.72825619999999,-1000.0,102.0,2.0,HorizontalAccuracy.meters_10,VerticalAccuracy.meters_25,VerticalAccuracy.Unknown,SpeedAccuracy.Unknown,1969-12-31 16:00:04.011,1.0
idType,uaType,uasId
IdType.Serial_Number,UaType.Helicopter_or_Multirotor,1581F67PB2298001011H
OperatorLocationType.LiveGNSS,ClassificationType.Undeclared,33.571637599999995,-117.7282786,1,0,-1000.0,-1000.0,AircraftCategory.Undeclared,AircraftClass.Undeclared,103.0,2023-06-18 14:06:42.971

Well there's nothing to worry about if you're flying within the bounds of the law. People can see where you're at just from the sound. I don't agree with the general public being able to track us, but honestly it's no different that airlines being tracked by the general public. Why would we expect it to be any different?

If you're flying legally you have nothing to worry about. If someone approaches you and begins to hassle or distract you, well the legally.

Not to mention it's very rare that someone will approach a drone operator. I've been flying for 15+ years and been approached by one person who thought I was "spying on them" when my drone wasn't even pointed in their direction. I shrugged it off and told them I'd be Happ to speak to the police, and to call them if he has a problem. Other than that, the other times people are mostly interested and genuinely intrigued by them.

Let me put it this way as one more example. Folks can follow you around all day every day when you're driving. If it gets to be to much you can call the police and document and take photos of them and report them. It's not different than actual passenger aircraft that are followed every single day.

This isn't a big deal. If you're flying legally you have nothing to worry about.

Let's face it we aren't that important. If law enforcement or anyone wanted to find us while flying a drone that already can.

Let's move on. This isn't a breach in privacy or safety. The majority of us are not that important for someone to track us down. Enough of the paranoia. You will not notice a difference once this law passes.

Have fun and enjoy the right to flight! We have far more privileges in the US then any other county! It's crazy the laws the exist in say Canada, Europe for example. The laws here are far more lax for flight!

Enjoy it!

What did you do to get it to work? It is September 13th and I have tried several times with my Mini 3 Pro and my Mavic 3 classic and after 20 plus minutes. Nothing. I see my dot on the map , but 0 drones.
Like I mentioned,.... I don't know EXACTLY what I did, but I was in the Drone Scanner app, clicked on the 3 dots upper right, then preferences and monkeyed around in there. Looking at my settings now (on my android phone) I have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi-beacon & NaN both switched ON. below that under "Standards" it says bluetooth & legacy Fully supported. Permissions say Wi-Fi, Location and Bluetooth are all CHECKED as 'Granted'
I see in the 'app settings' I have notifications blocked and Permissions granted for Location, Music and audio, nearby devices and photos/videos... for what that's worth.
After (randomly) checking boxes and giving permissions the app started to work.
That's about all I can say to help you.
By the Way, the FAA has 'Postponed' ENFORCING the Remote ID requirement until March next year. I hear they were bombarded with letters, calls and emails.

What did you do to get it to work? It is September 13th and I have tried several times with my Mini 3 Pro and my Mavic 3 classic and after 20 plus minutes. Nothing. I see my dot on the map , but 0 drones.
This is in addition to my reply to you 5 min ago.... All of this was done on my phone... not the drone or the controller. You can rest assured that your drone is transmitting the Remote ID !!! I'm not worried about the law coming after me... it's the drone haters with an axe to grind and a few too many beers cumin' to giv-me-what-fer!

Drone scanner app is on my android phone. Have launched the app over half a dozen times. Ran for up to a half hour once and no drones ever appeared, including my own.

Drone Scanner on a Galaxy S22 Ultra (Android) detects my Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro, but the app installed on a Galaxy S23 Ultra does not. Both phones have recent firmware and the apps are configured the same.
Thank you. Now this makes sense. I have a Motorola Razer. I know it is more secure because of limited discovery times. I am going to remove the drone scanner app. Also do you have a preference on open sky vs air soft for approved flight software. It looks like open sky remembers the last location flown while air soft always wants to go to my current location. Of course that could be a settings or preferences issue.

Drone Scanner on a Galaxy S22 Ultra (Android) detects my Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro, but the app installed on a Galaxy S23 Ultra does not. Both phones have recent firmware and the apps are configured the same.
I have the Galaxy S21 Ultra and It detects my Mavic 3 Classic.
You'd think the newer phones would do what the older models do.
Go figure.
That has got to be frustrating.

Took a trip to Door County, Wisconsin with my wife this weekend. Brought my Air 2S along for fun. Wisconsin says no flying in state parks or “natural areas”. I found a beach in Baileys Harbour that was pretty scenic and the weather was good. but there was an “elderly couple” preparing their tandem bike for a ride. I was worried about them as I prepped the Air 2S for a launch. I heard the man ask “What model are you flying?”

I said “Air 2S, DJI”. He said “I’m looking to buy an Air 3.” I had three wonderful flights that morning.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I have the drone scanner app installed on my galaxy s10. It picked up my drone and accurately shows its height and location along with my location

My neighbor across the street had a real estate photographer take drone shots. Out of curiosity I pulled out the app and it picked his drone up.

There also is a very annoying drone that will hover over my deck and driveway at lower altitudes making no secret that he was looking at what we were doing. Felt like an invasion or privacy. Thanks to the app, I now know where this person has taken off from at his house. Perhaps I should go into Karen mode and knock on his door????

So it does work and I can understand how it could be used to harass drone pilots. Maybe there are some that should be harassed. Perhaps the moral of the story is never fly from your own yard. I am not keen on how my piloting location can easily be determined.

• Wow
Reactions: mavic3usa
I have the drone scanner app installed on my galaxy s10. It picked up my drone and accurately shows its height and location along with my location

My neighbor across the street had a real estate photographer take drone shots. Out of curiosity I pulled out the app and it picked his drone up.

There also is a very annoying drone that will hover over my deck and driveway at lower altitudes making no secret that he was looking at what we were doing. Felt like an invasion or privacy. Thanks to the app, I now know where this person has taken off from at his house. Perhaps I should go into Karen mode and knock on his door????

So it does work and I can understand how it could be used to harass drone pilots. Maybe there are some that should be harassed. Perhaps the moral of the story is never fly from your own yard. I am not keen on how my piloting location can easily be determined.
There will be some folks who will be shocked to not only hear that you are already using the app to track and locate other drone pilots *before* the official RID compliance data has even arrived but also that you have quickly figured out that a pilot's home address is likely to be discovered because just like leaving and coming home to your garage with your car, it's likely you do it at least once with your drone.

It's 2023 and if anyone thinks drone RID data is special and private and encrypted or anonymous and cannot end up on the internet or stored in some public database or shared/sold on the market, keep flying from home, flying over 400 feet, hovering over backyards, and/or flying without laanc or whatever you do. It's just a matter of when bad things will happen, not if.

Not a fan. Just wait until you get one of those letters in the mail and we're not talking about from the FAA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman