DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Search - Lost Dogs

mehball

Reactions
Hey All,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Does anyone in the community use their drones for lost dog searches? If so I would be very grateful if any Pilots or SAR organisations could give feedback on a new idea to streamline the alerting process.

I've been a member of a few different Facebook based SAR groups and have had the following frustrations:
  • Delays in missing dog post approvals
  • Delays in tagging of pilots in the area
  • Delays in obtaining accurate information from the owner
  • Facebook notification issues
  • Limits reporting of missing dogs to those with social media accounts - Many do not have Facebook
To try and fix this, I've started up Sky Paws - Sky Paws - Lost Dog Drone Search UK - Request Drone Support

The aim is to alert Pilots and SAR Orgs instantly the second a missing dog is reported on the website. Alerts are sent via e-mail and SMS coming shortly negating the need to be checking Facebook. The form is also setup to obtain all the information needed from the owners in initial submission.

To clarify, the website is not for profit and completely free to sign up to. The expectation is Pilots and SAR orgs also offer their services for free.

Feel free to register and let me know your thoughts/feedback - Sky Paws - Lost Dog Drone Search UK - Request Drone Support

We have something in the US called Neighbor Hood Watch or Nextdoor and this seems to be the go to for dog owners.

Rather than telling anyone I am looking for there dog, I just mention that I will do a Perimiter Check to see if I spot any dogs and than let them know my findings.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to lfy in the Rain < land on the Water.

Reactions: mavictk
We have something in the US called Neighbor Hood Watch or Nextdoor and this seems to be the go to for dog owners.

Rather than telling anyone I am looking for there dog, I just mention that I will do a Perimiter Check to see if I spot any dogs and than let them know my findings.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to lfy in the Rain < land on the Water.
We have lots of local community groups such as Nextdoor and on Facebook. The idea of this site is to be UK wide so owner don't need to try and find what their local SAR group is called. They have one place to go to and this will alert all pilots and SAR orgs in their area automatically.

Nextdoor hasn't really taken off in the UK I don't think.

I joined a SAR effort near Boise, ID last year and quickly appreciated the challenges of doing this. The search area was on a lightly wooded upslope which I could see from a similar elevation across a valley at a distance of about 1500 ft.

I used a Mavic 3 which had no IR sensors so it had no ability to see any heat signature. I was not able to determine my height over the ground as I flew due to the upslope.

Lastly, it was challenging to spot my position over the terrain even using Firehouse strobes.

My hat is off to anyone who has mastered the skills for SAR with a drone. This is far more difficult than I had anticipated.

Hey All,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Does anyone in the community use their drones for lost dog searches? If so I would be very grateful if any Pilots or SAR organisations could give feedback on a new idea to streamline the alerting process.

I've been a member of a few different Facebook based SAR groups and have had the following frustrations:
  • Delays in missing dog post approvals
  • Delays in tagging of pilots in the area
  • Delays in obtaining accurate information from the owner
  • Facebook notification issues
  • Limits reporting of missing dogs to those with social media accounts - Many do not have Facebook
To try and fix this, I've started up Sky Paws - Sky Paws - Lost Dog Drone Search UK - Request Drone Support

The aim is to alert Pilots and SAR Orgs instantly the second a missing dog is reported on the website. Alerts are sent via e-mail and SMS coming shortly negating the need to be checking Facebook. The form is also setup to obtain all the information needed from the owners in initial submission.

To clarify, the website is not for profit and completely free to sign up to. The expectation is Pilots and SAR orgs also offer their services for free.

Feel free to register and let me know your thoughts/feedback - Sky Paws - Lost Dog Drone Search UK - Request Drone Support

That is great. I wish we had something similar here in USA. BTW, you have an s missing in "Do you run a SAR organisation? If so, you can you also register to receive mising dog alerts. Click here to register."

Great application for a drone, do you have any details or feedback on how it's worked so far, successes, results, issues raised that kind of thing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne