DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shot out of sky in Burke County

skitchsays

Reactions

by WLOS staff
Tuesday, July 5th 2022

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — Investigators are working to track down the person who shot down a man's drone in Burke County on Sunday.

Dan Brand, a drone pilot certified by the FAA, was trying to get the perfect aerial shot of Burke County's mountains and sunset when someone opened fire.

The lens was hit, and the drone came crashing down.

More than a dozen of his family members were at his home when it happened.

"My wife, my baby niece, so many family members. So many things could have gone wrong," Brand said. "And on that respect, I'm very grateful that this only resulted in destruction of the drone. But yes, I felt very violated someone would do that to my property."

Deputies estimate the damage to be $3,000.

Brand also filed a report with the FAA.

It's currently being investigated

by WLOS staff
Tuesday, July 5th 2022

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — Investigators are working to track down the person who shot down a man's drone in Burke County on Sunday.

Dan Brand, a drone pilot certified by the FAA, was trying to get the perfect aerial shot of Burke County's mountains and sunset when someone opened fire.

The lens was hit, and the drone came crashing down.

More than a dozen of his family members were at his home when it happened.

"My wife, my baby niece, so many family members. So many things could have gone wrong," Brand said. "And on that respect, I'm very grateful that this only resulted in destruction of the drone. But yes, I felt very violated someone would do that to my property."

Deputies estimate the damage to be $3,000.

Brand also filed a report with the FAA.
What a story! So dangerous on many levels. I'm sorry for his loss, but am glad that he and his family are ok. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
So sorry for the loss of your drone and that you and your family had to experience this childish behavior. Here's hoping you were able to provide some good leads to law enforcement as to the identity of the knucklehead with the gun - and that you have an opportunity to file charges.

The OP isn't the person who had their drone shot down. @skitchsays was just sharing the information about this incident which isn't far from where he's located.

While it's possible the person who is the owner is a member, we have no way of knowing that unless they come forward to say so. :)

Reactions: GFields
@BigAl07 IF they find the the person and IF he gets charged do you think there is a Federal Judge that will take the case. So far none that I know of have stepped up to the plate. What are your thoughts?

@BigAl07 IF they find the the person and IF he gets charged do you think there is a Federal Judge that will take the case. So far none that I know of have stepped up to the plate. What are your thoughts?

Honestly.... I think it comes down to resource management and with drones/UAS being so low on the totem pole I don't see it going up to the Federal Level.

So basically all he can hope for is small claims court and getting some of his money back for the destroyed drone. Maybe a fine for the gun toting drone killer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
So basically all he can hope for is small claims court and getting some of his money back for the destroyed drone. Maybe the a fine for the gun toting drone killer.

Unfortunately, if I were a betting man (and I'm not), that's exactly how I would place my bets. The court system is so clogged up right now with bigger issues I don't even see the DOJ giving it more than a glance and then tossing it into the round bin.

So I am thinking what if that would have been my drone and what I would do.
First since we know the city, i would post a $200 reward for any information as to the shooter.

The thing about this shooter is not only will he shoot again, but also most likely is very likely a loose cannon someone who might fire some shots if you accidentally pulled into the wrong drive.

Once Identified , than I would have went to the Police an asked them to pay him a visit.
As the police would come up the drive on someone knowing they have a gun and are not afraid to use it could be a Testament to the Mans character and may save a life down the road.

So shooting a drone out of the sky is a HUGE RED FLAG there something else going on .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain Land on the Water.

But try the same thing at a Piper PA-128 flying at 300' over your trees and see how fast things change. Precedent needs to be established with sUAV, and quickly in my humble opinion. Until then, talk is cheap.

This is from 2015 I believe and shows what you are up against with judges that just don't care. Until one of these commercial drone delivery guys get shot down nothing is going to happen. They will have the money and backing to get it to a higher level to perhaps make some good changes but until then even getting your money back for your drone might be hard to do.

• Sad
Reactions: DoomMeister
How is it that people of the law, Judges, Cops and the like don't have to follow the law. This guy shot down a drone, judge was shown data to prove drone did nothing wrong yet judge say I don't care.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Disgusting person, I hope he gets prosecuted.

Kids Firing guns that is just as bad if not worse, again Red Flag up the pole.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water , and avoid the bullets
It could have been adults also, Hey Cletus, you think I could hit that flying magic robot over yonder? No way Bubba, it's darn near over the crick down in the holler.
It's a **** story for one, the hack that wrote it gives no context whatsoever. Where did it happen? City, small town or out in the country? What type of gun did they use? Pistol, rifle, shotgun, air rifle, crossbow? How many shots were fired?
And it is North Carolina, so kids with guns in a rural setting isn't out of the ordinary.
Regardless, it's not right and whoever did it needs to be punished.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm assuming it was hit with birdshot. That probably wouldn't do any real damage beyond 50-60 yards. I'm curious about the exact circumstances and the surrounding area of where he was flying.

People have disappeared for less than that. 😁

As a professional real estate photographer in NC, I occasionally get threats from homeowners who believe I've violated their right to privacy because the drone flew over their property. The most common threat I get is that they're going to get their gun and shoot the drone down. They often call the local police who, after verifying that I'm on a job, wind up spending their time trying to calm the idiot down. I'm not surprised at all of a documented incident in NC such as this - in fact, I suspect there are probably lots more that haven't been reported.

We all know that it's a federal crime to interfere with a legal flight but, in the case of a drone, there is not much likelihood that a US prosecutor is going to devote any resources to pursuing enforcement in most cases. So I've done some research to try to prepare for the eventuality of someone shooting down my drone to come up with an effective approach:
When someone threatens to shoot down my drone, I've come to the conclusion that they are the one committing a crime with this threat and I will immediately call 911 to file a complaint. If they do actually fire a gun in the air with the intent of shooting down the drone, there are several local and state laws that can be applied once you convince the responding officer of the hazard/danger that the shooter created to public safety. Some that come to mind include reckless endangerment, discharging a firearm in the air and/or within city limits (or even county limits - our county has a blanket law making it illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere except areas designated for hunting or shooting).
Once criminal liability is established, the local police may do an investigation. If they do, you then have evidence for pursuing a civil charge against the shooter for damages in a state court because of their negligent disregard of public safety and your property.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123