DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Show Sinks, Literally

Torque

Premium Pilot
Reactions
South of Seattle & North of Tacoma, Washington
My neighboring suburb's drone show had GPS problems while flying over Angle Lake. The 55 missing drones are with the fish now.

Ouch! That hurt their pocket book

GPS around the country is having problems. A real problem with Airlines. They are getting info in the cockpit saying they are on course, and ATC tells them they are way off course.
We will hear more problems like this.
GPS is being hacked. I think we all know who is doing it too!

Reactions: SinisterSpecR
Solar flare activity in 2024 was particularly strong, with a series of large solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) occurring between May 10–14. These events were triggered by the sunspot group AR3664 and caused a geomagnetic storm that reached Earth on May 10, 2024. The storm was the strongest in 20 years and caused visible auroras, as well as affecting air traffic, satellite operations, and GPS-guided farm equipment. No hacking other than what the sun is doing.

GPS around the country is having problems. A real problem with Airlines. They are getting info in the cockpit saying they are on course, and ATC tells them they are way off course.
The New York Times had a good feature on this last week, explaining how GPS works, where its being hacked, and the importance of a backup system: Why GPS Is Under Attack.
It says the main GPS hacking is in conflict zones, understandably. Israel is a big hacker, along with Russia. Less of a problem in the US now, though that could change. The article says other GPS powers are developing backup systems, but not the US.

Reactions: Torque
As always, blame it on Trump!

Do you have specific examples of airline “off course” events? Who do we all know is hacking GPS?

There are many...here is just one:

As a retired airline pilot, with 21 years in the industry, I’ll call an audible here. Anytime there are GPS jamming tests scheduled, there are NOTAMs issued so airlines can act accordingly. WSMR is one frequent example. I’ve flown dozens of times past and over (with ATC clearance) when GPS testing was ongoing. Our onboard gear would indicate the anticipated degradation or absence of GPS reception. We simply navigated with other onboard equipment and/or ATC vectors as needed. Articles stating “way off course” aircraft are more than likely missing or omitting other issues actually resulting in an airliner being off course.

You still don’t answer, nor does the article link, state who “we all know who is doing it” question.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista