DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Slides For Kids?

You should mention what age group you are talking to. Attention spans vary a lot by age.

sorry missed it on post #1

Last edited:
The FAA has a PowerPoint presentation at https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2021/Aug/282490/DronePro Discussion Slides August 2021 Final.pptx You could probably adapt that. Also, might want to mention the TRUST certification for recreational pilots - there is no age limit for taking the TRUST exam/training. Part 107 does have a minimum age limit.
OK, I downloaded the FAA slides. Those may be useful, but not for the 8 - 12 age group that I'm currently targeting.

Greg pointed me to one of his slide decks, which has a number of good slides for this purpose. I'll definitely be able to modify that one for the kids. Thanks Greg!

:)

Now I just need to find a short 5 - 10 minute "Introduction to Drones" video, and I'll have everything I need. I'll see if DJI has one.

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: DoomMeister
I don't know if you have any budget, but something like a Tello might be a good low-risk way to get them some hands-on. Could even be done indoors in the gym or something. If this hobby is something any of them want to pursue, that's a pretty good low-cost entry point I could see someone of those ages starting out with.
I'll be using the H823H (formerly from Snaptain) as the inside demo mini-drone. You can bang it into things all day (I know from experience) and it damages neither itself nor the things it bangs into. Since it's a non-GPS drone, one of the very important features that it has is trim. With trim, you can stabilize the drone, and then spend the rest of the time actually flying it.

For 30 bucks from Amazon, you can't go wrong with the H823H as a first drone. I'm currently checking out options for a $100 "step-up" drone, which will have a camera but not GPS. I've spent the last week checking out the Holystone HS260, and it just won't work. Too unstable, and underpowered. I've ordered an HS110D to check out, which should arrive tomorrow. Some of the user demo videos look pretty good, and it has trim, unlike the HS260.

Does the Tello have trim?

Thx!

TCS

This is a rough one. I understand the wanting to teach. But there is so much more to it than an hour can provide.
Best of luck and fly safe.
The purpose of the hour long intro is just that, as an intro. I want to provide the basic concepts and minimum safety rules in an entertaining manner, and give the kids a chance to try out a mini-drone hands-on. Some will like it, and some won't. Hopefully, some will love it!

For the kids who want to learn more, I'll provide follow-up courses, and of course, send them to Pilot Institute for a lot of cool free videos.

It will take a while, but I plan to build up a little drone colony here in Douglas County, Nevada.

TCS

Kids and slides...I don't know, you might need some explosions and car chases to keep their attention for more than 30 seconds...😁
Oh, I've got a couple of good drone crash vids of my own, but I don't think I want to include those in the intro!

Thinking about it more, though, the worst case scenario for the course vid would be that I could put together a collection of some of the good footage that I've taken around here. That could work. But I'll see what DJI says. I just sent them the inquiry about whether or not they have an intro vid that I can use.

Thx!

TCS

Good news on this front...DJI came through for me with a couple of suggested videos:

The second one is too "Lego" for me, but the first one has definite potential. I'd want to edit out the physics part of the introduction, which is not going to be helpful with an 8 -12 year old audience.

If any of you come across good possible "Drone Intro" videos, please post the link here, or zap it to me directly.

Thx!

TCS

The TRUST test and certificate does it all. And it is required.
At this point I'm looking at an initial marketing presentation for kids. The point is to pique their interest in drones. Most kids (of whatever age) don't find regulations interesting or enticing.

For the ones who are more than casually interested in flying drones, I'll point them to the Pilot Institute TRSUT course, which is the one that I did. I'll tell them that if they do that, they can get their own Pilot License.

Still, now that you mention it, there may be some good slides in there that I can adapt for the kids.

Thx!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots