DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone taken away by police in US?

All laws come about as a result of complaints and problems. Opium was legal till it caused problems, drinking and driving was legal till it caused problems. Flying drones anywhere was legal till some IDIOTS pushed the limits too many times.
Back to the OP, if you use your drone in a questionable manner, and people complain, You may get your your drone confiscated. Just like Subway Jarrod got his computers confiscated BEFORE he was charged, Just like trumps lawyer got his stuff confiscated before any charges on him. It happens every day.
Dont do stupid things, then you wont have to worry. I can tell there are a few in this thread that are trying to see just how far they can go, so they can argue their thoughts on whats right and wrong.
When it comes to new laws, it is by Majority rules.
Just because YOU think it is OK does not mean two other people dont. if its you against the two, you lose.

Let's be real: the law has never stopped police from doing whatever the heck they feel like doing.
The problem is the courts, they are currupt, so what the law says make little difference. Sad, but true

As a retired deputy I offer another perspective. I have worked with officers, and I know every agency has some, who don't stay up to date on the elements of the law. They make decisions without complete knowledge of the offense. I have had to stop, on several occasions, officers who were about to charge but were missing key elements of the offense. There are some very informationaly ignorant citizens and cops in this world. We have to fight ignorance with the facts on our side as we work through the problem.

I have had to stop, on several occasions, officers who were about to charge but were missing key elements of the offense.
A sworn law enforcement officer has the power to arrest someone IF they have reasonable suspicion and/or evidence that a crime has been or is about to be committed. They do not “charge” someone with a crime. That is left to the discretion of the appropriate prosecuting authority e.g. the district attorney

A sworn law enforcement officer has the power to arrest someone IF they have reasonable suspicion and/or evidence that a crime has been or is about to be committed. They do not “charge” someone with a crime. That is left to the discretion of the appropriate prosecuting authority e.g. the district attorney
Not sure where you are located ,but in Colorado police officers "charge" misdemeanors on a summons and felony's on a "Probable Cause Affidavit". The officer only needs reasonable belief that the crime / offense has committed by the person/s being charged. (Statute of Limitations also applies) The DA is the prosecuting authority (as you said) and makes the determination to offer a plea, dismiss the case, or go to trial. I've only charged and arrested dozens, maybe several hundred people in 23 years. I wish you had been there to correct me, now the DA has to go back and throw out all those charges.

Not sure where you are located ,but in Colorado police officers "charge" misdemeanors on a summons and felony's on a "Probable Cause Affidavit". The officer only needs reasonable belief that the crime / offense has committed by the person/s being charged. (Statute of Limitations also applies) The DA is the prosecuting authority (as you said) and makes the determination to offer a plea, dismiss the case, or go to trial. I've only charged and arrested dozens, maybe several hundred people in 23 years. I wish you had been there to correct me, now the DA has to go back and throw out all those charges.
Difference between a verb and a noun. Context is everything

Reactions: Roc Rat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02