DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone taken away by police in US?

He said Fire Island, which is a National Seashore. Don’t know if he was on their land or not, but face value of the post when he says he’s flying Fire Island, it’s the National Park. He was told to talk to the park office to get a permit. Everything in his post says he was flying at a park...Not some overreaching law enforcement division making laws up because of the rich folks.

Last edited:
Police do confiscate anything they feel is a threat to public safety, someone said they can’t confiscated a car just because the driver is reckless! Yes they can depending on what jurisdiction they’re in! I know this to be fact I worked part time for a local and state contracted towing company I was ordered to take possession of quite a few vehicles and other items like a electric wheelchair (that was being used to obstruct traffic) so yes the police can confiscate a drone without the FAA! If it’s considered a nuanced or hazardous to the public! Then you will have to take it up with a judge or magistrate again depending on if you in a state or commonwealth?
Police are the first threat to the public, you give some of these people a badge and a gun and here comes a power Trip. I'm not saying all police are bad , I don't want anyone to misinterprete this the wrong way but if you look at the news you have not heard anything in reference to a drone killing anything or anyone but police show up on the news daily

Police are the first threat to the public, you give some of these people a badge and a gun and here comes a power Trip. I'm not saying all police are bad , I don't want anyone to misinterprete this the wrong way but if you look at the news you have not heard anything in reference to a drone killing anything or anyone but police show up on the news daily

A drone didn’t wrestle a 250lb naked woman high on PCP as I did last night. Comparing police to drones doesn’t make sense.

In reference to the Fire Island post,he’s flying in land owned by the National Park Service...which bans the flight of drones without a permit. He was breaking a clearly established law. It’s beautiful where he was flying and sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but to blame the cops as being on a power trip because they were given a badge and a gun is ridiculous. It could have gone the other way...they could have cited him and taken his drone. Instead, it appears they had a cordial conversation with him, informed him of the law, and sent him on his way. I’m not sure how much more you could ask for by them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myetkt and JDawg
If the OP was actually flying in the Robert Moses State Park (which it appears in his screen shot), the NY Parks requires a permit.
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/FranklinDRooseveltNYStateOfficeofParksRulesandRegulations.pdf

Specifically:
“(e) Aviation. The voluntary introduction, launch, takeoff or landing or any aircraft, parachute, hang glider, ultra-light, balloon or other weight- carrying machine or device designed for flight in or navigation of the air other than in an emergency”

Again, it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission but blaming those pesky, power hungry, gun wielding, working for the rich folk cops in this is ridiculous.

You contradict yourself...first you say the police are the first threat to the public and then you say it's just some...you'll find good and bad people in all PROFESSIONS...I'm offended by the first part of your statement to the max...next time you or your family needs help from the police remember what you said... ( Mod Removed )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Myetkt
next time you or your family needs help from the police remember what you said..( Mod Removed )
Law enforcement in this country are under NO legal obligation to provide “help“ to anybody. This was settled at the Supreme Court level many years ago. Look it up if you don’t believe me. They only do what the politicians tell them to do. Helping you or hassling you is completely voluntary on their part.

Law enforcement in this country are under NO legal obligation to provide “help“ to anybody. This was settled at the Supreme Court level many years ago. Look it up if you don’t believe me. They only do what the politicians tell them to do. Helping you or hassling you is completely voluntary on their part.

What is the definition of helping and hassling you? Like, you driving drunk and hitting something, causing the police to respond...wouldn’t that fall under hassling you?

Also, could you share the Supreme Court ruling that says they aren’t under any obligation to help someone? If this is the case, why have police or a 911 system? What case are you referring to?

What is the definition of helping and hassling you? Like, you driving drunk and hitting something, causing the police to respond...wouldn’t that fall under hassling you?

Also, could you share the Supreme Court ruling that says they aren’t under any obligation to help someone? If this is the case, why have police or a 911 system? What case are you referring to?
I said LEGAL obligation ie you can’t sue a cop or a department etc for failure to act or incompetence. THATS what the court cases dealt with. Duties as a condition of employment are completely different and arbitrary.

As for stopping and arresting drunk drivers.... they do that because ITS THEIR JOB to do that. Their personal motives are irrelevant to me. If they don’t do the job the people hire them to do then fire them and hire people who will.That’s our only recourse

I said LEGAL obligation ie you can’t sue a cop or a department etc for failure to act or incompetence. THATS what the court cases dealt with. Duties as a condition of employment are completely different and arbitrary.

As for stopping and arresting drunk drivers.... they do that because ITS THEIR JOB to do that. Their personal motives are irrelevant to me. If they don’t do the job the people hire them to do then fire them and hire people who will.That’s our only recourse

You said helping and hassling is voluntary on their part...then describe an obligation as part of doing their job. Stopping a drunk driver would be “hassling”, therefore not their job but them voluntarily hassling you.

You said helping and hassling is voluntary on their part...then describe an obligation as part of doing their job. Stopping a drunk driver would be “hassling”, therefore not their job but them voluntarily hassling you.
Their job is to stop that drunk driver before he or she kills me or anybody else. Call it whatever you want

Their job is to stop that drunk driver before he or she kills me or anybody else. Call it whatever you want

They would then be helping you and hassling the driver...both of which they shouldn’t be doing according to you...that these things are only voluntary for the officers to do...and have no legal obligation to enforce the law. Please quote the Supreme Court case where officers aren’t legally obligated.

They would then be helping you and hassling the driver...both of which they shouldn’t be doing according to you...that these things are only voluntary for the officers to do...and have no legal obligation to enforce the law. Please quote the Supreme Court case where officers aren’t legally obligated.
You can start with Warren V. District of Columbia and go from there. Just one of many. People try to sue police all the time for “failure to protect”. It always ends the same way. Why do people think I’m making this up???

You can start with Warren V. District of Columbia and go from there. Just one of many. People try to sue police all the time for “failure to protect”. It always ends the same way. Why do people think I’m making this up???

There is a difference with failure to protect and failure to help. I didn’t say you were making anything up...I just know police do have a legal obligation to help people in many circumstance. It’s not voluntary. Neither is “hassling” a drunk driver.

Last edited:
There is a difference with failure to protect and failure to help. I didn’t say you were making anything up...I just know police do have a legal obligation to help people. It’s not voluntary. Neither is “hassling” a drunk driver.
What is the legal definition of “Help”?..... take your time, I’ll wait

What is the legal definition of “Help”?..... take your time, I’ll wait

Your right...next time a cop is dispatched to a call, he should tell his supervisor he doesn’t feel like responding.

In all seriousness, it is a tragedy what happened to them. They filed on the grounds as individuals that the police have a duty to protect them. The issue is every victim of any crime could sue the police for failing to protect. You walk out to your car tomorrow morning and find it broken into, you could sue the police department for failing to protect simply because you were the victim of a crime in an area served by the police department. Read up on it and other similar cases and you’ll see why the court ruled the way they did.

With this said, you are correct in much of what you said. I stand corrected in part of it. I still disagree that helping or hassling is not voluntary.

Here is a good read on it:
Addressing cops' confusion over 'the public duty doctrine'

Last edited:
You contradict yourself...first you say the police are the first threat to the public and then you say it's just some...you'll find good and bad people in all PROFESSIONS...I'm offended by the first part of your statement to the max...next time you or your family needs help from the police remember what you said...JERK!!!

You contradict yourself...first you say the police are the first threat to the public and then you say it's just some...you'll find good and bad people in all PROFESSIONS...I'm offended by the first part of your statement to the max...next time you or your family needs help from the police remember what you said...JERK!!!
Sorry I offended you but just talking from personal experience I served 10 years for the military and 12 years for jso. Jacksonville sheriff's office

Reactions: Afremont
And the response to there are bad people in all professions I totally agree just like they are bad Pilots that messed things up for the rest of us that are trying to follow the rules and regulations. All I want to do is fly my drone and peace get some good videos some good still pictures and enjoy my time doing what I like to do but we have some that want to fly by the airport's want to fly over crowds of people and they just making it harder and harder for us to be able to fly. I have to say I love this forum there's a lot of good information and you can voice your opinions I'm not trying to make any enemies I'm just having some good fun adult conversation and gaining knowledge on the way. As I've always said the day you stop learning is the day you're dead because you should be able to learn something each and every day

And the response to there are bad people in all professions I totally agree just like they are bad Pilots that messed things up for the rest of us that are trying to follow the rules and regulations. All I want to do is fly my drone and peace get some good videos some good still pictures and enjoy my time doing what I like to do but we have some that want to fly by the airport's want to fly over crowds of people and they just making it harder and harder for us to be able to fly. I have to say I love this forum there's a lot of good information and you can voice your opinions I'm not trying to make any enemies I'm just having some good fun adult conversation and gaining knowledge on the way. As I've always said the day you stop learning is the day you're dead because you should be able to learn something each and every day
Suggesting that POLICE OFFICERS ARE THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THE PUBLIC is not "FUN ADULT CONVERSATION".(.Mod Removed )

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggesting that POLICE OFFICERS ARE THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THE PUBLIC is not "FUN ADULT CONVERSATION"

You are correct. LE officers are not the biggest threat..... Politicians and Bureaucrats who USE police forces as their private “army” are. Cops just do what they’re told to do especially when it comes to our drone hobby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02