DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone takes out cyclist during California race.

Also, why was this guy flying so close to the riders? Was he trying to take a portrait? Maybe he doesnt understand what that thing is for. (Its not a point and shoot).

Wow. I wish I had not read this thread. 1) the pilot is an idiot for flying near trees and above bicycles travelling 40 MPH+. This was not an "accident" - it was negligence pure and simple, 2) no, you don't condemn an entire class of people (us drone enthusiasts) because of one idiot's bad choices and poor skills, 3) if you seriously think that guy crashing on a bicycle at 40 MPH is funny, then I vote there is something wrong with you. The guy could easily have died or sustained incredibly serious injuries. Just because there are several of you who think it is funny doesn't make it right. Misery and mindlessness loves company I guess.

I sure hope he is O.K. And for the sake of the hobby, please don't act like this was no big deal. It was a big deal.

The general public does condemn entire classes of people on what they perceive to be a threat. It's human nature.

Reactions: geigy
Reminded me of an accident at Colorado event this winter where a drone scared a horse an it ran into a crowd of people.
The mishap occurred as the horse, rider and skier prepared to leave the starting line. The horse appeared agitated, and its handler yelled and waived at the drone to make its pilot fly it away, officials said.

Instead of bolting up the course, the horse darted into a group of at least five spectators. Several people were unable to escape its path because of a large snowbank behind them.

Two women were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, and a third man suffered a bloody chin, the newspaper said...

Drone blamed for spooking horse that injured 3
The article comments are frustrating to read. I'm also pretty sure this pilot was a local professional, certified, who was filming for the town/event. You can see the assumptions folks make though. Lot of anger out there...

The general public does condemn entire classes of people on what they perceive to be a threat. It's human nature.
That's true and argues against the people here who act like it wasn't a big deal. If even enthusiasts condemn the actions, then we have a chance to distance ourselves from his negligence. As Is, a reporter could have a field day lambasting out hobby with half a dozen comments from members here.

I hope he receives serious sanctions for violating the no flying above people rule! It's those who violate the law that makes it harder on all drone pilots. We don't need more laws because people can't follow the current ones.

the horse spooking incident is very similar to the bicycle incident in that a poorly trained pilot blew it in several ways, flying where he shouldn't be and interfering with a race, and failing to assess the overall danger he was creating. An accident waiting to happen.

The drone pilot got a ticket, and now drones are banned from the race event. Great.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...-drone-spooks-horse-at-annual-skijoring-race/

Last edited:
That's terrible. Unless he had some sort of press pass to be that close, it's just a common lack of decency or sense.

The cyclist is apt to sue for damages and his inability to cycle for a while. Perhaps ever because he's now scared to cycle. No good at all.

Shxx happens. Yes the pilot should have givin the situation a little more thought. But in the end, it was just an accident. With more and more UAV's out there there are going to be more incidents like this. The pilot should have givin more of a safety zone between the drone and the subject matter. He failed to do that. It was a mistake and an example to the rest of us not what to do. But in the end it was an accident in my book. It wasn't malice.

No one is saying it was done maliciously. Yes it was an accident, but it shouldn't have happened. The flyer was an idiot who did something stupid, resulting in property damage and injury, and giving the rest of us a bad name.

I don't understand why people think this video is funny? The rider could have been killed, sorry not funny in my book!

I don't understand why people think this video is funny? The rider could have been killed, sorry not funny in my book!
I don't think anyone thought the incident itself was funny. There is a genuine difference of opinion over whether drones are significantly dangerous, and some ironic comments.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone thought it was funny. There is a genuine difference of opinion over whether drones are at all dangerous, and some ironic comments.
With all due respect, you are wrong. Multiple people on this thread flat out said they found it funny. Read up.

I did scan through the thread. Thanks for the "due respect", which I take to mean no respect at all, haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom