DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone takes out cyclist during California race.

From shutterbug:

Camera drones can be a great way to capture aerial footage of sporting events but they can also be a serious hazard when they crash. That’s what happened during a recent bike race in California where a drone ended up taking out one of the cyclists after it fell from the sky.

In the harrowing POV footage below shot by Kaito Clarke from the handlebars of one of the competing bikes, you’ll see the drone drop from the sky at about the .30-second mark. While the cyclist survives the initial impact of the drone, the UAV gets caught in his spokes and he eventually goes head over handlebars on his bike and then face plants onto the road.

Ouch!

In case you miss the drone vs. cyclist dustup the first time, the scene is replayed in slow-mo several times later in the clip.

Thanks for posting the video, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

I don't know how legitimate it is since I just read it on some article, but I'd read that the pilot offered to buy him a replacement bike.

If it had been a real biker the drone operator would have gotten his arse kicked by the rest of the gang :)

Thanks for posting the video, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Whew, thank goodness for the last few replies saying they laughed. It's very unfortunate but man, did I laugh hard when I watched the video. I was beginning to think there's another thing wrong with me ;)

It looks like he flew into a branch and lost control. That incident could have killed the cyclist and injure others.

That was hilarious!! At first I thought he was ok. Then all the sudden bam! Right over the handlebars! Ha! When you watch in slow-mo you can see the Phantom battery go tumbling after the drone gets lodged in his front tire. [emoji23]

That's a nasty crash, I do both off road and road cycling but people are surprised it's the road cycling that I'm worried about as the speeds are higher and the surface is harder so even at low speeds it can hurt coming off. The worst crashes are the ones you're not expecting like this one, the cyclist obviously started slowing down but didn't expect to just suddenly be thrown over like that and I winced when watching it although at least he wasn't in a close packed peleton where it could have been a lot worse.

I used to race bikes, and the head over the bars is a brutal crash. The damage to his bike is irrelevant. I hope he is ok and no broken bones.

That was hilarious!! At first I thought he was ok. Then all the sudden bam! Right over the handlebars! Ha! When you watch in slow-mo you can see the Phantom battery go tumbling after the drone gets lodged in his front tire. [emoji23]
It's not half as hilarious as it would have been if had happened to you.

the main point: Why the drone was there? Trying to film the race? Just curious?
I think like this: If anything I will has a minimum chance to hurt someone, I will not do it!
The poor guy will suffer for an error that could be avoided

I usually just browse the threads on this forum and not comment on the subjects I read but I have to say something here. Way to go there kid!! Poor judgement and irresponsibility is going to put an end to this sport, hobby, activity or whatever you want to call it. Because of this moron, this cyclist has probably trashed a very expensive bicycle and sustained serious injuries, which he will probably have to pay for out of his own pocket. This is not good folks!!! He will want answers as to why this happened and It'll all be over soon. The writing's on the wall.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
This is what I think, its an accident like anything else, reckless yes, so he should be prosecuted as such but the law makers shouldnt have to go crazy and be more restrictive with laws because it wil not do anything., people will be people. Drunk drivers, they'll be drunk flyers and so on...The pilot is paying for it right now I'm sure...

Yeah, there is a lot more risk when you fly "near" any crowd. I think the big Fubar the pilot made was trying to fly near so many tall trees - following a fast moving target. It looked like he clipped a tree, then there was no hope in control. I was playing around last week in a rural area with tall firs. There were a couple that were about 20' taller than the rest. I made sure to have the gimbal level and look around 360 degrees to see when I was at the tree tops - then climb about 30' above that. That kept me out of trouble while using active track. Very sad that this is more ammo for the Feds. Exciting to get cool footage - but the risks go up so much when you involve more people. From the angle the drone came in - it looked as if he may not have been "directly" above them. But now we know how that can go wrong too. Good lesson for us to ponder.

Shxx happens. Yes the pilot should have givin the situation a little more thought. But in the end, it was just an accident. With more and more UAV's out there there are going to be more incidents like this. The pilot should have givin more of a safety zone between the drone and the subject matter. He failed to do that. It was a mistake and an example to the rest of us not what to do. But in the end it was an accident in my book. It wasn't malice.
It really doesn't matter if it was an accident or not. Those who wish to control us see it as another reason to tighten the clamps and condemn uav flying as a dangerous, fringe activity for deviant camera users. Your calm approach to this incident, while admirable, is not based in the reality of people who should never have power imposing policy on the rest of us.

Reactions: Static8
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard