DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone upgrade

Menright

Reactions
I just wondered. I currently own a Mini and it has been great fun. I would love to upgrade to a larger Magic Pro but have a couple of questions. Am I being paranoid or when reading the flyaway section do there seem to be a great deal of drones flying away still. Are they all down to pilot error or can this issue still be a problem in more expensive models. Just a question as it seems like a great deal of money to spend with a small chance that it may be lost. Are drones like the Aspire more reliable than the Mavic.

You stand a greater chance of losing your mini vs a MP.
As far as flyaways if you will read in that section they are
caused more from OE than anything and as far as the Inspire
i can’t say on those as I have never owned one but bet they
have their share of issues .

You stand a greater chance of losing your mini vs a MP.
As far as flyaways if you will read in that section they are
caused more from OE than anything and as far as the Inspire
i can’t say on those as I have never owned one but bet they
have their share of issues .
I currently own a mini and the original pro. Look at all the mavic users then look at fly aways, you'll see it's a tiny percentage. Most of us don't come to the board to say they had as noon eventful flight. The pro is still a great bird and you can find some really nice setups for 5-700 used. Don't consider anything but a fly more combo. Good luck and PM me if you have specific questions.

Further to the above replies.

Even if you can get an M1P / Mavic Pro (and I still love mine after 3-1/2 years), it is now obsolete in Australia . . . so too the M1P batteries, although they are same spec as the MPP, just the different colour.
(So too the DJI Spark is no longer made / available, a great little drone, I also still have mine and 3 perfect batteries.)

Get an MPP (Maivc Pro Platinum), and for sure you'll really benefit from the Flymore combo.
After a short while, grab even a 4th battery if you love the drone (you will !).

I can foresee the MPP may also drop off the range sometime in the near future, but it shouldn't matter too much, with 4 batteries looked after, it should give you many years of fine service.

I even grabbed 2 more batteries not long ago, even though my original 3 (and 1 more bought about 3 years ago) are still in A1 condition.

If you like the mini, I'm afraid if you get an M1P or MPP the little bird will sit around on the shelf or in a cupboard.

The Mavic Pro / Mavic Pro Platinum are just that good . . . great models, perfect moderate size, full features that DJI have ever put into their drones all work, reliable and proven, no know major issues apart from the seemingly more fragile gimbal than later models (just never forget the gimbal clamp, use a warning ribbon / label to remove it before start up !).

Enjoy whatever you move up to.

@Menright any drone has the ability to get lost or damaged,no matter what brand or model you purchase,even the extremely expensive so called professional drones that cost thousands ,can and do fall out of the sky
99% of these crashes are mostly down to operator error,or outside influences that the person flying had no control over,
when you think about the number of drones DJI have sold, then there are going to be some that have issues, this is no different to any mass produced products
yes the MM does have issues,but even so over time these will be corrected ,despite what a certain drone company say ,there is no such thing as a crash proof drone
we may be controlling our drones but we do not control our surroundings,all we can do is risk assess the place we want to fly, and do our best to get our prized possession home in one piece

Take what you read with a grain of salt. Because believe me if I went by half the things I read on here I never would have owned a DJI Drone. I have owned the Inspire the very first Mavic pro now Mavic 2. Never experienced no problems with none of them. They were all every bit as reliable as the next. As far as the Inspire goes that is in a class of its own. Most problems you hear about R pilot error.

I dunno, read a lot of posts about M2 battery swelling issues, and battery ejections !
Of course it doesn't happen to all users (like all Minis don't have uncommanded descents every flight), but it is a noticeable trend.

The design change from the M1P / MPP battery is not a good step forward.

I REALLY hate seeing Inspires crash in the YT drone compilation threads, breaks my heart for the pilots.
Inspire is probably in a class of its own because it is FAR more costly to get into, more for people wanting that extra camera benefit for really high end use in filming.
It's not considered a consumer drone for the mass market.

Take what you read with a grain of salt.

This is true . . . read posts on various forums, research other places, to gain a better understanding of trends and peoples real World experiences.

Certainly by getting a Mavic 2 series you will be less prone to a flyaway (wind induced) or a crash into an object thanks to the sensors on the Mavic 2 series drones.

True "fly away" cases nowadays are far and few in my opinion. We have hundreds of thousands of combined hours on the Mavic series crafts and you simply dont hear that the drone up and left. Occasionally there is a hardware failure that causes a fly away but not like years in the past. The dji drones have matured quite a bit and are uber reliable.

I'm flying my 4th DJI drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum, and I have never had a "fly-away" with any of my aircraft. I have crashed them all at least once, but NEVER a fly away. I get the feeling that I've only started to read about fly-aways with some frequency since the Mini was released. Connection? I don't know.

I'm flying my 4th DJI drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum, and I have never had a "fly-away" with any of my aircraft. I have crashed them all at least once, but NEVER a fly away. I get the feeling that I've only started to read about fly-aways with some frequency since the Mini was released. Connection? I don't know.
the only reason for the upturn of what i call blow aways (they dont actually fly away most of the time ) is simply because of the light weight and the fact it only has a 2 cell battery
this means it is not able to fly in wind conditions that other Mavics are capable of,that plus the fact that due to pilots lack of understanding about the conditions that the drone is able to fly in, and the fact that as altitude increases so does wind speed,means we are seeing many many more of these problems

I,ve had magnetic interference throw them out of place abit gps wise but never a fly away and i,ve got over a 600 miles on my mavic pro i,ve had it outright land when the battery won,t get it home

I just wondered. I currently own a Mini and it has been great fun. I would love to upgrade to a larger Magic Pro but have a couple of questions. Am I being paranoid or when reading the flyaway section do there seem to be a great deal of drones flying away still. Are they all down to pilot error or can this issue still be a problem in more expensive models. Just a question as it seems like a great deal of money to spend with a small chance that it may be lost. Are drones like the Aspire more reliable than the Mavic.
I assume the flyaways appear here because the owner pilots are so distraught. Most of us are enjoying safe uneventful flying and have no need to describe a disaster ...

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will continue to enjoy my mini then see what appears from DJI in terms of new tech over the next few months, should be interesting by all accounts.

Reading the latest Air 2 speculation post (DJ Drone article link) if the Air 2 has 4k and in that US$799 price bracket, that might be worth the wait.

Then again, consider the terrible Mini release, the problems, wind understandable but things like uncommanded descent / props etc, woeful.
I suppose you could be a DJI guinea pig on the Air 2, but let's hope they have really put more pre sale effort into future models and avoid the angst.

I'd wait at least 6 months on a new model of theirs now.

DJI is do for a major jump in technology
Really soon like end of this year or beginning of 2021
..... that being said
What
if you wait for tomorrow and tomorrow never comes.?

.....cR

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDS24